i play mostly metal/prog rock and i've got a bc rich warlock deluxe goin into a 75watt line 6 spider II.

I've played with emg pickups before and they sound amazing but i'm interested in active pickups like the 81/85 combo

also lots of my favorite guitarists use seymour duncan so i'm a bit torn and i'd like to know more about the differences or advantages one brand has over another any help would be awesome
Seymour Duncans of course.

EMG's are one trick ponies, and overdrive inputs terribly on multi-track recorders and tube preamps. And pickup preamp+digital preamp=crap tone, so using EMG's with a Line 6 spider isn't recommended.

But some even better options are Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, Lace, and Lawrence.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Last edited by SeanHart213 at Jun 6, 2008,
ive got the zakk wylde 81/85 set
and i will NEVER play on anything else
ive played seymours
and dimarzios (or however you spell it)
and they just didnt have the same feeling as the emg's
AND... i played the zakk wylde (see a common theme) Flying v @ guitar center through a spider III amp and.... UHHHH *SHUDDER SHUDDER* it was amazing
so i would def. go with with the 81/85 set
Actives sound pretty crappy through a SS amp in my experience.

What do you want to change about your sound? What don't you like about your tone right now?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
i had a jackson soloist for awhile it had emg hz passive pickups, it was my perfect tone but i don't have that guitar anymore and im trying to get the same tone out of my warlock
Quote by Toxicity1919
i had a jackson soloist for awhile it had emg hz passive pickups, it was my perfect tone but i don't have that guitar anymore and im trying to get the same tone out of my warlock

EMG passives sound totally different that the actives.

You didn't really say what you wanted to change about your tone you have now. brighter? fatter? more treble/bass/mid? Less treble bass mid? more output? Less output?

EMG or SDs is a very general question, to really be able to give you a good answwer we gotta now what it is you wanna change.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪