Page 1 of 2
Yo dudes, after I buy my guitar, I'm going to be having some left over cash and why not buy the effects I've always wanted?

I really don't have a need for the effects, just to play with them and make some cool jams with them and stuff.. I could put together a pedalboard, or buy an effects unit such as the Boss GT 10. I would be using them with a Mesa Roadster, and a potential smaller tube amp (Blackheart, most likely, if I'm feeling ambitious, a Tiny Terror just so I could crank them at home..) I've heard that digital effects on the units don't even compare to analog (in most cases) but I could get like every effect if i bought an effects unit.. What should I do?

Thanks, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Whats the difference between an overdrive and a fuzz? I have an OD pedal right now, it's my only one.. A fuzz just adds fuzz? Won't that make it sound messy?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

for fuzz i like the big muff...even though is not EXACtly a fuzz...i love it
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by tr3nt
Yo dudes, after I buy my guitar, I'm going to be having some left over cash and why not buy the effects I've always wanted?

I really don't have a need for the effects, just to play with them and make some cool jams with them and stuff.. I could put together a pedalboard, or buy an effects unit such as the Boss GT 10. I would be using them with a Mesa Roadster, and a potential smaller tube amp (Blackheart, most likely, if I'm feeling ambitious, a Tiny Terror just so I could crank them at home..) I've heard that digital effects on the units don't even compare to analog (in most cases) but I could get like every effect if i bought an effects unit.. What should I do?

Thanks, Godbless.

Mesa Roadster!? that is a very bad ass amp, you sure as hell better have individual pedals or real high end effects like the G-System.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
So I'm guessing the best choice would be buy analog effects ?

might be fun for you at first but in the end you aren't going to use half the effects..

I say just play around with some and get the effects you really like.
Here is what I'd get if I had a large budget:

Boss Super Chorus
Dunlop 535Q
EVH Flanger
MXR Phase 100
Maxon OD-9
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator
MXR Carbon Copy Analog delay

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by drewfromden
Mesa Roadster!? that is a very bad ass amp, you sure as hell better have individual pedals or real high end effects like the G-System.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-GSystem-Integrated-Guitar-Effects-and-Controller?sku=153004

That? Why... Thats nearly the price of my amp.

Most individual pedals are digital (most analog pedals are delays), so for that matter it doesn't matter. Most of it is in the player, Opeth uses Boss MFX and they sound amazing, but I personally prefer individual pedals for the customization options.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by tr3nt

I know, If you bought all the pedals I suggested I still think its cheaper than that g system but I like lots of pedals instead of one big electronic board.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by TechnicolorType
heh must be good huh?

he just means things like it.. like decent rack units and such.

What are rack units and how do they work? I've never played with effects, I've always been a Guitar to amp guy.

Quote by drewfromden

Boss Super Chorus
Dunlop 535Q
EVH Flanger
MXR Phase 100
Maxon OD-9
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power

If you had a large budget there are alot better options out there. I mean a Sonic Maximizer what a waste of space. Carbon copy sounds digital for an analog delay, the 535Q is only decent but can't compare with RMC and Fulltone and the Super Chorus is very subpar sounding IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by tr3nt
What are rack units and how do they work? I've never played with effects, I've always been a Guitar to amp guy.
An effect unit that goes in a rack rather than sitting on the floor, but you can usually get a floorboard to control it.
Yeah I've never owned one either although my dad has a pretty good few.. basically they are like an effect or a bunch usually..

like, it's basically one big pedal that is designed for an amps effect loop usually rather then going out in front. They normally contain more then one effect and have different types of things like.. a Reverb one would have all the settings like the mix, the decay, a bunch of types of it like Hall, Chamber, Room, Spring, Church.. and such..

basically just good effects

Most people with half-stacks usually use them for their reverb and delay.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
If you had a large budget there are alot better options out there. I mean a Sonic Maximizer what a waste of space. Carbon copy sounds digital for an analog delay, the 535Q is only decent but can't compare with RMC and Fulltone and the Super Chorus is very subpar sounding IMO.

Well you can have your opinion, and I'll have mine.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
do you have a pedal budget? that would help.

you have a kick ass amp so i'm not suggesting you get one of these but i got one 'cause i didn't have a clue as far as what effects i wanted and this gave me a chance to experiment.

$150.
has chorus, phaser, flanger, echo, roto speaker, wah, noise gate, eq, etc, etc, plust USB to record, tuner, and software for customization. again, i'm not saying it is great tone, it's freakin $150 bucks.

Digitech RP250
http://www.digitech.com/products/RP250/index.php

later
;
the thing about multi-effects.. like I said in an earlier post is they may have loads of effects but you'd be better off just buying single pedals of the ones you really want.
Well I have like $1700 right now, - $900-1000 for a used SG standard I'll have around $700 left over.. Not saying I want to spend all that on pedals but I want some good quality and sounding pedals that will be fun to play with and create stuff with them.

Quote by tr3nt
Well I have like $1700 right now, - $900-1000 for a used SG standard I'll have around $700 left over.. Not saying I want to spend all that on pedals but I want some good quality and sounding pedals that will be fun to play with and create stuff with them.
Get wah, delay, reverb, flange.
I want a Wah, Delay, and my amp has reverb in it.. Is there a reason for a reverb pedal?

Quote by tr3nt
I want a Wah, Delay, and my amp has reverb in it.. Is there a reason for a reverb pedal?

Amp reverb is usually much better than pedal reverb so no.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by tr3nt

For Delay the TC Nova Delay for digital and the DMM or Malekko E300 for analog are great options. For Wah I would recommend RMC wahs, but they might be to pricey. I would also recommend getting a looper like the Boss RC-2, they can provide hours of fun.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
For Delay the TC Nova Delay for digital and the DMM or Malekko E300 for analog are great options. For Wah I would recommend RMC wahs, but they might be to pricey. I would also recommend getting a looper like the Boss RC-2, they can provide hours of fun.

What do loops do? I've always had in my mind like you set a rhythm part or backing part and it will continue to play it while you can play a lead over it?

Edit; both of those pedals are crazily expensive! They would nearly take up my whole $700 budget that I don't want to spend all of anyway.

Last edited by tr3nt at Jun 7, 2008,
The RC-2 is less then 200.. actually a fun little play.. it does what you had in mind.. you basically record stuff on it and can play it back.. works while your using it so you can record part of a life performance and in that same song use a certain part of it without it sounding crappy..

also works well if say you have to play lead but there's 2 lead parts (harmonized)
record one and then play the other over it.
Quote by drewfromden

Boss Super Chorus
Dunlop 535Q
EVH Flanger
MXR Phase 100
Maxon OD-9
BBE Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power

Quote by BleedDeathMetal

you're both right i would say
ehx small clone, the super chorus is not nearly as good as this
fulltone wah (i've heard its brilliant)
eh evh flanger? or just the normal mxr flanger
phase 90 is fine, you don't really need the intensity knob
maxon od-9 is spot on
bbe? please
decimator ftw
i would go with the boss dd-7, but thats just me
maybe the deluxe memory man?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I have a Boss ME-30 multi-effects unit and a few other assorted pedals... give me seperate pedals any day of the week. Wah, Distortion, Chorus, maybe a Flanger, Phaser or Equaliser pedal too... should be able to get some pretty cool sounds.

So wish I had the money for a Loop Station, too.
How do I know to run what through the effects loop? I've never had any pedals.. Or do I just run everything on my board out in front?

Analog is better then digital, but very pricey. That's why I'm hanging with this POD for as long as i can. In the end my pedal board price will probably exceed the price of my amps and guitars combined.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
up.. anyone?

i think you would want to put chorus, flange, delay and stuff like that in the loop.
wah in front probably.
It's all preference, just experiment with what you like best.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by tr3nt
How do I know to run what through the effects loop? I've never had any pedals.. Or do I just run everything on my board out in front?

Rule of thumb: Modulation and time based effects (as in, reverb/delay/chorus/phaser/flanger) go in the loop. OD's, distortions, wah, compressor etc. go in fron of the amp.

Also, I really suggest you either get a cheap multieffects pedal with bad quality (cheap) so you get to know what effects you would want, OR you go to a shop and test different pedals out so you know what you'd want.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Rule of thumb: Modulation and time based effects (as in, reverb/delay/chorus/phaser/flanger) go in the loop. OD's, distortions, wah, compressor etc. go in fron of the amp.

Also, I really suggest you either get a cheap multieffects pedal with bad quality (cheap) so you get to know what effects you would want, OR you go to a shop and test different pedals out so you know what you'd want.

+1

do that last thing he said.. that way you know what you really want and don't have all these pedals laying around that you never use.
Quote by tr3nt
What do loops do? I've always had in my mind like you set a rhythm part or backing part and it will continue to play it while you can play a lead over it?

Edit; both of those pedals are crazily expensive! They would nearly take up my whole $700 budget that I don't want to spend all of anyway.

Your right about loops.

I was thinking that you would go used for best valuee for money. If I waited a couple of months I can snag all those pedals for about 400-500 dollars.

I don't like running modulation in the loop, but some people prefer it. I have my Whammy, my delay, reverb, noise supressor and eq in the loop. You just plug them intothe back of the amp where it says FX loop send and send the last pedal into FX loop return.

EDIT: This thread is full of alot of people turning opinions into fact.
Quote by doggy_hat
If I don't like the pedal I'll be able to get the cash back for it.. eBay is amazing. How should I go upon getting a pedalboard?

for a pedalboard do the same thing.. go on ebay or a website that sells music gear and search for it.. duhh :P
Quote by TechnicolorType
for a pedalboard do the same thing.. go on ebay or a website that sells music gear and search for it.. duhh :P

hah! yeah, that is what i was gonna say.

and Tr3nt, if that is you in your avatar - you may want to stop doing that.

sorry, couldn't help myself. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2