So i had some koa, it looked good, but it was too small for a body.. i had some maple, it also looked good, too small for a body... so bam, here is my guitar top :

I decided to go with a one piece (i am scared) rosewood neck. Probably strat shape. It was only 3 inches wide, so i cut the top at an angle, and glued it onto the side where the rest of he headstock will go, cant even see the joint.

Just a normal stop-tail bridge, probably a gotoh style (i hate the tacky strat looking ones), Probably some wacky pickup config. with HHS (my tele thin line). Graphite nut, i have a Pau Ferro Fingerboard to go with that neck, looks amazing. the neck is a perfect 1/4 sawn, thats the only reason why i am doing a one piece, otherwise i wouldnt dare. The neck blank is only .75'' thick, so i will have to glue on another piece to the ass of it so it will be thick enough to make it into a set neck. no neck pitch, and its just going to be strat style scooped headstock.

Curly maple/Curly Koa top.
Not sure on body wood (walnut...poplar?)
Rosewood neck
Pau Ferro fingerboard (27 frets)
25.5 scale (might go 26'' for better fret access)
Not sure on inlay, maybe a 12th fret something or another.
Gotoh Stop Tail bridge w/ string-thru body
Maybe binding...
Whatever humbuckers i can scrounge up for cheap, i really do love the GFS big mouths/loud moths...
All chrome hardware, i am pretty sure. jumbo frets, then medium-jumbo for 22-27 likely.
I am interested in the new GFS locking tuners...

Any suggestions? It will likely be an oil finish, maybe nitro if i can get into my friends car dealership for spraying.
That wood is beautiful. Sounds like a very cool build, it will really be a very unique guitar.

I think you should oil that baby up
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
this is going to be awesome.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Cool! Just don't paint it! Have a natural finish to show off those woods.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Jun 7, 2008,
yeah, i dont paint. strict rule. im considering whether the 27 frets are worth it or not. i want 27 frets for the shear fact of saying "i built this, look it has 27 frets, rad right?" but will i ever use them? no, probably not. 24 might suffice.

i think i might go for sapelle for the body.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
i want 27 frets for the shear fact of saying "i built this, look it has 27 frets, rad right?"

I say dooooooooo it.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
How about 27 frets on the treble side, 24 on the bass side, then a diagonal cut across the end of the fretboard? Then you'd get your 27 fret 'wow' factor, and it wouldn't look quite as imposing on the guitar.
You may as well have 27 frets! just in case... and for some awesome soloing!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
yeah, thats what i had originally planned. 27 frets on the bass side would be retarded.

I think i have decided on a telecaster body.no pickguard, might do a tele style bridge, might do the gotoh stop-tail, need to think it over and stuff. i think if i do the 27 frets, i might scallop the 22-27, that would be pretty easy, i have a drum sander/dremel sander small enough to get in those frets. that would make the notes on those have a little more sustain, and maybe slightly easier to access, the scallop would be very shallow.
Last edited by LP Addict at Jun 7, 2008,
27 frets is just plain stupid, unless you shred.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
I agree with buzzcut. Not to offend anyone but how often are you actually gonna use them.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Recondite Blue
did you not read his post about "i built this, it has 27 frets..."
????

I saw that, but I dont think there is a point of adding 3 extra frets that he will never use just to "say he did."

I could draw two baboons having sex on one of my guitars just to "say I did", and I am pretty sure it would be pretty original, but is it really worth it?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
Well he should do the 3 frets and the two baboons!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i WILL use them, just not very often, but ive decided to go through with it. i think a curly maple fingerboard would be totally rad, but i dont want to deal with the chip-out and tear-out of the stuff, if i get it bad my fingerboard will be ruined (cosmetically anyways, i can always fill it..)

plus... rosewood neck... maple fingerboard? opposite!
...And the two baboons?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
After tonights gig with my fellow blues/jazz musicians... i think i have decided to turn this build around entirely.

I really want some P-90s.... GFS has some Dream 90's which i hear are absolutely awesome. I think i am going to erase the whole idea of the 27 frets and do that on the next build (i design ALL of my CnC cut fingerboards to have 27 frets, its easy, and if i dont need any frets i just chop them off, haha.)

I do like the way the angled fretboard looks towards the bottom, so i think i will angle it to 24 frets. only time will tell, it depends on my mood when im in the workshop. haha.
the only thing I would be concerned about would be the intonation. I guess it would work fine, but if the range on the saddle of the bridge didn't adjust far enough might cause a problem. But I really dont know much about how the length of the strings and stuff affect intonation and such just though i might throw that out there
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I really want the Dream 90's, and i really want a humbucker in the bridge, so i think i am going to try and pull a triple humbucker, HSS initially, but the two S's will just be the dream 90's, and the bridge will probably be a corresponding Dream 180. Problem with the dream 90s is that the neck is REVERSE and the bridge is normal wound, so id have to switch the neck for the middle, and the bridge oen for the neck... I bought the PRS 5-way rotary switches direct from their distributor in china, he gave me 20 of them for 13 dollars, and i paid 10 bucks to ship them. i hate making the little slot fo 5-ways, so totally gay. A concentric pot (volume, tone) and the 5-way rotary switch sounds good to me.

As you can see, with the bridge in the right spot, if i do 22 frets straight... i have plenty of room for the 3 'buckers. i think that might do it.

Last edited by LP Addict at Jun 9, 2008,
The new plan sounds sexy!
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
awsome, stupid amounts of frets FTW!!! wooo for me with 28 lol

i still think this should be a superstrat shape though.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT