Page 1 of 2
Here is my dilemma. I am playing a small set at my friend's grad party. We picked like 15 or so songs, and later realized that I have to switch between standard tuning, and down 1/2 step for some songs. The problem is that I only have one guitar at my disposal and the way we have the songs set, there is no time to tune back and forth that many times.

I was wondering if there was perhaps a pedal I can buy, that I can turn on, and just go straight into the next songs? And if possible, could you recommend something that I will use often? I don't want a pedal that I buy just for a few songs here and there. I want to get a real use out of it. And I also don't want to spend more than like $150 if I don't have to.

As a side note, I have been looking into different pedals, and it seems that I might want an octave pedal. The problem is that I have only found reviews that tell me that the pedal can do full and/or double octaves above and/or below. I haven't found anything in between what's coming out of my guitar, and octaves.

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Any decent Octave or Pitch Shifter should do the trick. I'm not familiar with them, though. Should be able to get a 1/2 step down.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
dont know if this would be helpful but instead of going out and buying a pedal why not have your bass player or anyone do a little instrumental or something while your tuning... umm i do know line 6 shortboard pedals have a tuner on them... other than that i dunno... gluck
well this is what we do in my band but you kind of have to know your guitar well enough to do it.tune down the half step and keep it the entire time but use a capo to bring it back up to standard tuning.and just move everything up a fret when you play with the capo.
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
well, I am the one that is supposed to do the instrumentals while the bassist is doing whatever. And it is only the two of us, so we share singing parts.

And I have tried doing the capo on the first fret thing, but I just can't do that yet. Singing and playing is hard enough for me, so I think that I'll skip the capo this time around.
Do you have to play the song a half step lower? I don't see why you can't just play the song in standard tuning.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
^+1

Its very simple, don't confuse yourself in changing them. Do standard threw and you'll be better off.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Just use a handheld tuner. Have your vocalist interact with the crowd (don't make it awkward and just sit there) thats how i've tuned my past 10 shows.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Just use a handheld tuner. Have your vocalist interact with the crowd (don't make it awkward and just sit there) thats how i've tuned my past 10 shows.

Or if you trust your ear, tune by ear.
Won't the songs sound awkward if I play it a 1/2 step up and he sings it like the recording? If neither of us are that good at singing (or that horrible for that matter), but are doing it because we are trying to get out there; won't we run into problems somewhere along the way? But I do see what you're trying to say here.
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
well this is what we do in my band but you kind of have to know your guitar well enough to do it.tune down the half step and keep it the entire time but use a capo to bring it back up to standard tuning.and just move everything up a fret when you play with the capo.

this.
or just play it all one half step down. it would make all of it easier to sing too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Shackiddy
Won't the songs sound awkward if I play it a 1/2 step up and he sings it like the recording? If neither of us are that good at singing (or that horrible for that matter), but are doing it because we are trying to get out there; won't we run into problems somewhere along the way? But I do see what you're trying to say here.

Odds are that if you can sing it like the regular song...you could sing it like the regular song a half step up.

Work on it at practice, if you can, otherwise wing it...but don't worry about it.

*If you MUST change tunings, do it during a break.
or you could just get your band to play the songs in standard tuning.. or vice versa.
obviously the singer shouldn't have a problem since you play in both.. so why not?

but there is some pedals with a droptune feature on them.. pitch shifter has one and so does the whammy pedal.. but I think the whammy can't do a half-step.. I think it goes straight from standard to d standard.. or drops 2 semitones.
could I possibly get a pod xt and use it to drop down the 1/2 step? Because if I can, then I will borrow it from my friend. And if not, I guess that I'll have to just wing it for now.
No friends of yours have a guitar you can borrow?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
hm, there's a couple things you can do.

spend money and buy a pitch shifter
play everything down a 1/2 step, and that'll make it easier on high notes. as long as you can deal with singing a 1/2 step lower, no one is going to notice the difference.

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quite honestly, you'd be better off practising your songs in standard with a capo. It's the easiest way, apart from obtaining a second guitar.

Otherwise, play them all in standard. Just make sure the other guy knows that you're doing that.
Tune down half a step.....

use capo on first fret for standard tuned songs...

Or play them all in one or the other

Problem solved
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Tune down half a step.....

use capo on first fret for standard tuned songs...

Or play them all in one or the other

Problem solved

I'm surprised it went this long before somebody suggested a capo.

thats your best bet TS, just get used to playing standard songs up a fret.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
play the whole set in Eb, and just play the songs that were originally in standard on the same frets, don't worry about moving them up at all. as long as the bassist is tuned down, and your singer can focus on the pitch, which shouldn't be hard, then play the whole set in Eb. it will give you a cooler sound too, in my opinion, and it'll be easier to bend if you're using thick strings.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Just borrow a guitar. I'm sure one of your friends has a guitar you can borrow? Maybe the same guy who has the Pod you would borrow?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
i was gonna say digitech whammy.
but seeing your budget, i don't know any other gadgets.
you can play standard tuning like others have said.
or rent/borrow a guitar.
or just tune 1/2 step down, capo on first fret for standard tuning and bla bla bla...
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I suggest just playing the songs 1/2 step up. With a little bit of practice it shouldn't be an issue. Its just 1/2 step bro. The singer shouldn't have any problems adjusting, I'd be suprised if he even notices! the only other guy who will have to make any adjustments is the bassist and all he has to do is move up a fret.
Quote by igotabcrich32
I'm surprised it went this long before somebody suggested a capo.

thats your best bet TS, just get used to playing standard songs up a fret.

Someone mentioned the capo on the first page...
Don't bother with the standard tuning, justp lay everything half step down. For drop D or whatever it'll only take you a couple of seconds to drop the string down to pitch.
Easiest thing to do would to be to tune half a step down and capo on the first fret for the songs that need Standard tuning and then remove it for the others.

However, youve already said that you dont much fancy that idea (believe me, its not all that hard i promise.) so if ur hellbent on not doing so, my suggestion is that you play it all Standard. Dont worry about the singing sounding off. it doesnt or isnt noticeably off. The time you will sound off is if you try and play in standard against the original song and it will be too high. Its fine, i promise.
I second the idea of tuning a 1/2 step down the capoing the first fret when you need to go back to standard tuning. I have done that before and it works great.
This is a tricky situation, personally if at all possible it's usually best to spend the few seconds with a tuner to change you guitar tuning.

The idea with the Capo is genious idea and i'd definately recommend that one, it had never occured to me until now and it's something i'm definately going to use!

Borrowing a guitar is a good idea however make sure you can play it properly!

Playing the whole step in Eb is a good idea aswell!

Ultimately, couldn't you just practice and find which one is the best and easiest for you to do?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Well, I only have like 12 days to prepare everything. And I was hoping to find some easy-ish fix that would allow me to not have a ton of things to lug around and set up. But I guess one more guitar can't hurt. I do appreciate the help guys. And I have tried the capo thing more than once, but I can't get the hang of it just yet. And we won't have enough time to do everything in standard just yet.
just play everything half step down, metallica did that for a while
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
There's no law that says you have to play songs in the key that they were recorded in.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
above is right, you really don't need to worry about key, whatever's easiest to play it in is correct, you think when mariah carey et al. cover a song orginally written for a baritone voice they sing it in the same key? hell even if you write a song in one key, it might actually work better in another come crunch time
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
i say capo!!!! cuz pedals are too expensive and capos are like 15 bucks.

also, you can play songs in the different key than normal, which is a good option because it's only half a step...... i'd go with this one.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Capo. If you put it RIGHT ON THE FRET[first fret] and not the board behind it, it won't pull the strings sharp but puts them a half step up. Just simply STAY IN Eb and use a quick capo and make sure to put it ON THE FRET ITSELF NOT THE BOARD and it should work just perfect.
I got some good guitars, yo.
my vote goes to a capo.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Page 1 of 2