so my band is planning on playing our first real gig this summer. problem is, we have songs in multiple tunings. 2 in standard, 3 in drop d, and one in drop c! how do we manage this. we have 2 guitars for each of us guitarists, but only 1 bass and 3 kinds of tuning! help?
Last edited by sasquatch ass at Jun 7, 2008,
Drop D shouldn't be hard to get into at all... Just get a pedal tuner or something with a bypass and be sure to have your lead singer guy talking for a second so you can get in tune, and have the other guitar in drop C. Only thing is you won't have backups in the right tuning, so you better pray nothing goes wrong lol.
Shifter/ whammy pedals will do the trick. Otherwise, just take 3 seconds to go from Standard to drop D and back with a pedal tuner.
EDIT ^haha, beat me to it
Keep one guitar in drop C, and the other in standard. Tuning to drop D is fairly quick, so it's not too big of a deal.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
1 in Drop C and 1 in Standard (as others have already suggested), and yes, you will need your lead singer to say..........introduce the band/ask the crowd if they're having a good time/etc., just something to buy you a bit of time.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
we have songs in ALL tunings

ALL tunings?
There are a lot more than those three. Open A, B, C, D, E, F and G just to name a few, oh and all the flat and sharp open tunings? And that's just open tunings.

Also, just borrow a guitar from someone for the drop C song
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
How about you just transpose the drop C song up one whole step so that you can play it in drop D instead, and then do as they said and use a pedal tuner while the lead singer distracts the audience and tune from standard down to drop D and back.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
How about you just transpose the drop C song up one whole step so that you can play it in drop D instead, and then do as they said and use a pedal tuner while the lead singer distracts the audience and tune from standard down to drop D and back.

well i suggested that but it sounds a lot cooler and darker in drop c.
you can go from standard to drop D in a matter of seconds

use the other guitar for drop C

...the question is... do you have locking bridges on your guitars?

for the bass, you can just borrow another one
if you are playing Open strings (strumming, say, strings 4/5/6 without fretting), then you will not be able to transpose it, you wont be able to get that deep Open C chord in Drop D tuning.

Quote by sasquatch ass
well i suggested that but it sounds a lot cooler and darker in drop c.

Well sometimes you have to live with these sorts of things. You can't possibly go about switching tunings quickly without another guitar, so live with transposing it up.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Quote by deluxity
you can go from standard to drop D in a matter of seconds

use the other guitar for drop C

...the question is... do you have locking bridges on your guitars?

for the bass, you can just borrow another one

well i did but i just got an ltd v-500 this morning so no.
you can just transpose the songs for Bass, you dont necessarily HAVE to drop tune them, its nice too, but its not a necessity.

Quote by sasquatch ass
well i did but i just got an ltd v-500 this morning so no.

then use the one with the fixed bridge for standard and drop D and the other one for drop C

easy as that

and i agree with the trasposing the bass idea
If you transpose the songs for Bass, I would suggest leaving the Bass in Drop D, so the only differene between that and Standard tuning is a whole step on the low E string, and the only difference in Drop C would be a whole step down on all strings, must simpler than leaving it in Standard tuning and having to transpose the Drop C songs, thatd be a whole step down on all strings and an additional whole step on the low E.