I have come to realize, in the past 6 years since I've started studying music, playing guitar and other instruments, I've realized my ability to memorize, recognize, and comprehend lyrics is pretty much gone. Like I heard a song on my friends iPod, that was from the late 90's and I knew every word, even though I haven't heard the song in years. But now, the most played song on my iPod is a very lyric-centric song, and has over 50 plays in the past month or so, and I can't repeat it after the 1st line, and still can't sing along. This includes listening to songs too, I try to listen to music for the words, and I hear them, but I don't comprehend them. Like you could play me a song with a simple acoustic guitar with 3-4 slowly strummed chords, and at the end of the song I could tell you the song structure, chord progression, any tonality changes, time signatures, strum patters/syncopations, but I couldn't even begin to tell you what the song was about, even if I tried. This sucks, a lot. Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I just kinda screwed in that respect? How I can I try to start focusing on the words of the songs more?
I'm with you.

I actually prefer instrumentals, I don't care much for vocals. It's just that vocals only add to a song that the instruments don't give it a emotion. Try finding versions of songs that are just instruments and just listen to the mood it gives you.

It's not normal, but it's just looking at it from a differnt standpoint.

I hate lyrics.

A good vocalist can't make bad instruments sound good.

Good instruments can make a bad vocalist sound decent.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Hmm I've never never had this problem. I just look at the lyrics and try to find meaning in them, seems to work for me. But I guess it's different for everyone.
FINALLY!!!

that happens to me too, everytime someone asks about lyrics, i completely ignore them, but i end up talking about how good the rythm or the mix is... i just don't care much about lyrics, i focus on the music, no matter how hard i try
Same here.

The only bands I can really say I've (inadvertantly or not) learned lyrics from the past few years are Minus the Bear, The Aquabats, Fair to Midland, Amplifier, and Opeth.

And I struggle with some of those.

I just don't focus on the lyrics like I used to.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
When I listen to music I don't hear the words that are sung or spoken. I hear an interesting fluctuating sound. Like I hear the words, but they are just a sound like a guitar or syth... just another instrument.
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
I know what this is like all to well. I'm in the same boat as most of the rest of this thread.
Quote by The McManus
When I listen to music I don't hear the words that are sung or spoken. I hear an interesting fluctuating sound. Like I hear the words, but they are just a sound like a guitar or syth... just another instrument.

+1

Exactly. Like, people always ask me, "How can you handle the growls and screams in metal?"

Really, I don't hear it. It's just another instrument to me, and it's a great instrument. Some don't like it, sure, but I don't hear words, I hear a majestic sound that only a few people can interpret properly.

Saxo-Walrus

I'm so glad I'm not the only one then.

But I also love songs with vocals. It provides melody, and can give the song a certain "tone" or give the band an aural image. Sometimes I pick up on choruses when they stand out really well, after about 30x times hearing it I love to sing along when I know the words.

So it seems theres a direct correlation between having an inclined music ear vs lyric comprehension abilities.

I wanna see some damn studies done on this.
I can do both with no problems, yo just have to learn to shift your focus to different things. Of course the fact that I sing and play different instruments, usually at the same time, might have something to do with it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I don't really care too much about traditional lyrics. I'm more into more cryptic and abstract lyrics much like that of Isis, Neurosis, Mastodon (somewhat) and Fair to Midland (very underated IMO).
I usually pick up on lyrics pretty well. But I can't write them for the life of me. Most of the music I record is either instrumentals, pending lyrics that I never get around to writing, or covers.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by mr. riff
I don't really care too much about traditional lyrics. I'm more into more cryptic and abstract lyrics much like that of Isis, Neurosis, Mastodon (somewhat) and Fair to Midland (very underated IMO).

+6,000,000,000

They're one of my absolute favorites.

Banjo riffs FTW!!!

Anyway, I agree, FtM is just fantastic.

Saxo-Walrus

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs
First thing I thought of when I read the title.

I'm exactly the same way. I can remember the whole Fresh Prince of Bel Air rap and other songs from back in the day, but when it comes to music I listen to these days, it seems my focus (and interest) is really centered around the music, even if I don't mean for it to be that way. Maybe playing guitar makes the instrumentation of the song stand out more, because you can appreciate it and visualize yourself playing it?
Quote by fallenangel20
+1

Exactly. Like, people always ask me, "How can you handle the growls and screams in metal?"

Really, I don't hear it. It's just another instrument to me, and it's a great instrument. Some don't like it, sure, but I don't hear words, I hear a majestic sound that only a few people can interpret properly.

Yeah but i'd rather hear growls and screams going on about something interesting, or meaningful or using interesting phrasing and language, than growling and screaming some crappy lyrics, it just adds to the whole package of the song. To the people who don't care for lyrics, you will get alot more out of music (depending on what type you like) if you listen to the words as well. But each to their own.
Quote by face_haver
Yeah but i'd rather hear growls and screams going on about something interesting, or meaningful or using interesting phrasing and language, than growling and screaming some crappy lyrics, it just adds to the whole package of the song. To the people who don't care for lyrics, you will get alot more out of music (depending on what type you like) if you listen to the words as well. But each to their own.

I agree. A lot of metal lyrics today are completely cliche and unimaginative. But that's not to say there aren't a few bands out there that keep things interesting.
Quote by DefectedFromGod

Good instruments can make a bad vocalist sound decent.

Like Dream Theater makes James Labrie bearable
Yea me too. When I listen to a song it's like I don't even listen to the singing.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
I'm talking about you still listen to the singing, and you'll know the melody instantly, it's just the words being said might as well be a different language
I think it's a kind of thing, where when you have been playing a certain instrument for a while, all your brain cares about and picks out and hears mostly is the sound you hear all the time. When I'm listening to music all I can pay attention to is the Guitar even if the lyrics are louder i can make out the guitar behind them better. Even if i try to just listen to the lyrics my mind is still on the guitar behind it
Amen. I too have lost focus on lyrics, it's mainly about the music for me. Still, I admit it's kind of odd that I don't know the lyrics to many of my favorite songs...
Maybe you're focusing on the analysis of the music and not on the words.

I'm pretty much the same. I don't listen to vocal music to begin with, and I don't care about lyrics.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I listen to any music with instruments I like, regardless of the vocals. There are about one of two bands I listen to JUST for the vocals. There are also a few bands that manage to hit the best of both worlds for me (early Dream Theater, Megadeth, Symphony X). I can't memorize lyrics to save my life, but I can memorize length guitar solos and such. I thought I was alone until I read this thread.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
I don't like Dream Theaters vocals too much =/ I just don't think they fit with the style of the rest of the band, and they seem kinda out of tune sometimes
It always happens to me, no matter the band.

This is the reason I prefer to listen to, and write, instrumentals.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me