I'm trying to play my first Lamb of God song Redneck and wow that speed they play with is insane. I have been playing for about 3 1/2 weeks, how long will it take me to get up to speed that is necessary to play Redneck? Any tips, suggestions??
Just keep practicing

find a speed that you can play it perfectly at.

then play it at that speed for a while.

then try speeding it up

the only way to build up speed is practice, the correct practice, and more practice
3 1/2 weeks is way too early to be playing stuff like Redneck...at least I think so. I've been playing for just over a year and I still don't have it. It takes a while before you develop the speed and the ability to string together a song completely. Redneck is tough song, try aiming for something a bit easier like say Omerta or something. Then when you master those easier ones, you'll be able to pick up harder songs easily i.e. Redneck...it'll still take practice though.
Quote by savio23q
3 1/2 weeks is way too early to be playing stuff like Redneck...at least I think so. I've been playing for just over a year and I still don't have it. It takes a while before you develop the speed and the ability to string together a song completely. Redneck is tough song, try aiming for something a bit easier like say Omerta or something. Then when you master those easier ones, you'll be able to pick up harder songs easily i.e. Redneck...it'll still take practice though.

I agree, Omerta would be much more suitable...Redneck is really fast and is pretty hard for a beginner song...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by savio23q

Yeah man I'm going on 7 years and even though I have the speed, It still doesn't sound QUITE right.

I'd try Omerta like the other dude said
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Yeah your probably right, but I'm mainly just trying to learn the first 10 seconds or so... my hand would fall off if I tried to play the whole song with my ability right now.

But maybe I should go back to learning Audioslave riffs and Black Sabbath riffs. Haha. I think I jumped in to deep with Redneck.
Quote by TexasRG
I'm trying to play my first Lamb of God song Redneck and wow that speed they play with is insane. I have been playing for about 3 1/2 weeks, how long will it take me to get up to speed that is necessary to play Redneck? Any tips, suggestions??

Bah! Dude! Whoa! Slow down!
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
You're getting way too far ahead of yourself, you need to spend some time simply getting used to the guitar. Start with open chords and simple, strummy songs. The complicated stuff comes a lot later on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The rhythms in redneck are probably the issue. It's not really THAT fast.

But as others said, you're a little ahead of yourself. Lamb of god is a little more advanced due to their sometimes hard to get used to plam muting and rhythms.
Quote by TexasRG

Is this a joke?

man..that kind of playing takes years...Just take it one step at a time..
practice somethin on your level..then go back to that insanely hard song..
go back and forth...in years..u will be there...

Master your scales...basically 90% of commercial music's leads and
solos fall right into them...Learn the scales and the riffs come naturally..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 7, 2008,
Yea dude your getting ahead of yourself lol. Good you have ambitions in guitar lol. But man lamb of god stuff wont come for awhile bud. like me for instance. i knwo ppl are diff pace learners but i have been playing for 2 years and only about 6 montsh ago i started playing as i lay dying. they are fast but some simple rymthes well some of there songs anyway. and then recently in the fast few months i moved onto august burns red which let me tell you some of their songs will make your hand fall off. i mean they are pretty fast sometimes. particulary back burner i have a hard time with that song. but man when i started playing i started with ac/dc simple power cords and a steady beat. youll steadily move up in your playing. dont expect to much of yourself
Thanks for the advice everyone... after realizing Redneck is out of my league I switched my focus to learning Out of Exile by Audioslave, only about the first 15 or 20 seconds... its really fun to play.
Practice slow -> Play fast.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Ummm yeah 3 1/2 weeks is not enough to get you playing Redneck at full speed...

Do some slower songs first.
YEAH
LOL

Dawg, I've been playing for a year now and I can NOW ge to their speed. Just keep on practicing and you'll get it. Dw
Gear:
Dean Dime-o-Flage
Behringer iAxe
Epiphone 100-CE
Fender 20W Amp
I still say it would be good to learn the song you want(in this case redneck), at a slow pace and keep it in memory. Then once your fingers get stronger practice it more and you'll learn it pretty easy. I've been playing for around a year and a half and it took me a good bit of practice to learn redneck up to speed, and still a little sloppy before warming up.
wow, trying to learn redneck after 3 1/2 weeks? again, id say leave it for a while, mabey learn some easier lamb of god stuff, black label's pretty easy.... well, its easier than redneck. pretty much, just practice stuff like scales & if you have some time, give redneck a try, youll get it sometime.
Quote by The_Faded_Line
yea i gotta agree with starting off with omerta before redneck

Yup Omerta is really easy, but fun.

Oh and do you know you have to tune the E string to D, as in a drop D tuning? Just making sure because it won't sound right at all, and your a beginner so you might not know that.
Quote by dustyboy316

Oh and do you know you have to tune the E string to D, as in a drop D tuning? Just making sure because it won't sound right at all, and your a beginner so you might not know that.

Good advice, my friend always plays lamb of god w/o changing tuning and when i tune his guitar drop D he's like "wth! i dont kno how to tune it back!" lol. Such an easy thing yet overlooked.
Thanks guys, yeah I know about tunings, Redneck is in drop d... I have watched a lot of step by step tuning videos on Youtube. Youtube is a great resource when first starting out on guitar.