Some people put wristbands, hair bands, rubber bands, whatever around the 1st fret of their guitars to mute all the strings so that if they accidentally hit an extra open note or something it's muted and doesn't come out, and makes it overall easier to play cleaner

I consider this kind of cheating, what do you guys think?
it's they're style. it's not cheating.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Why would you do that? Wouldn't that make it impossible to use open strings?

To answer your question, no, I think it's a perfectly valid technique if it works.
String dampers have their uses. It makes things a lot easier, especially for certain styles of playing. If it's just used to cover up sloppy playing though, that's a missed chance to improve.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 7, 2008,
It's a valid technique it's usually used to cover for sloppy playing with too much gain, but it's still a valid technique.

Of course MAB uses them too, but that's because he's playing two necks and once and can't really mute strings with his hands.

I don't do it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Flying Couch
Why would you do that? Wouldn't that make it impossible to use open strings?

To answer your question, no, I think it's a perfectly valid technique if it works.

People use it for shred/sweep type stuff with no open strings. I think people should learn to play the way the guitar is made to be played and take time to learn to play stuff cleanly without modding the guitar to make it easier.

Imagine a piano where it was set up if you hit a wrong key nothing would come out...would you consider that cheating?
Quote by Aikoe
People use it for shred/sweep type stuff with no open strings. I think people should learn to play the way the guitar is made to be played and take time to learn to play stuff cleanly without modding the guitar to make it easier.

Imagine a piano where it was set up if you hit a wrong key nothing would come out...would you consider that cheating?

I call it crafty engineering.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Well thats it then if any of you have ever used a capo that means you're all no good cheaters. For shame...

Haha no I'm kidding, but I think it's actually pretty smart.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by Aikoe

The hairband doesn't change if you hit a wrong note, it dampens the strings you aren't playing. If you do a lot of tapping such as something like Satriani's 'Midnight' then you get a lot of string noise behind the frets you are playing and the hairband cleans it up. You could always use your index finger to mute the ones behind, but that would make playing a little awkward.
If their doing like what MAB does, then no. if it's just to cover up sloppy technique, learn2 guitar correctly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Cutmyself
I call it crafty engineering.

Yeah. Damn, I just thought of how I might could do that. Not a wrong note, but I bet I could make a piano dampen all pitches that are not in-key.
Do whatever the hell you want to make you able to play. If you have to do that to play certain things, then fine. Just make sure that if you are using it, that you're playing well. Nothing worse than bad cheaters :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay