Hey, I've been rediscovering my love and talent on the guitar for the last four or five months again and although I grew up playing alot of Metallica and Rush already, I've started playing a lot of Petrucci stuff that I thought previously was still way out of my league. I can pretty much play anything I can find the tabs for...

Again, I'm starting to feel a bit like I did when I set my guitar aside years ago, that is; that I'm just regurgitating other peoples material and while I can do it and play some crazy kewl licks and riffs, I don't feel as much as though I'm actually PLAYING the guitar, more like I'm practicing guitar.....ya get what I mean?

So, what is some advice, maybe exercises, links, tips, and ideas on how to keep things fresh, and what types of things to work on to speed up the creative flow somewhere inside of me to keep that enthusiasm rolling. I want to really learn how to shred!

Thanks peeps,
andy
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
it sounds like you need to learn how to express yourself through the guitar, much like we express ourselves with our voices, but with the instrument
giggidy-gigidy-giggidy-giggidy

stage setup:
heavily modded yamaha
modded strat
fernandes- no name

carvin 100 head through marshall cab
Yeah, I think maybe I might just need to go play with a drummer or a few other musicians again to get myself in gear.

But I'm a little stand-offish about getting involved, I guess I don't know too many people that are down, and it's always scary coming into a new group, there's always something that needs more practice, or whatever.

I think I could sit down and compose a few songs, but should it really take all that long, or can shred riffs come naturally? Yeah, I really feel like I want to be able to just make that thing cry the sound of all of those things that I can't explain with words! and I feel seemingly desperate to make that happen, there's something that I just have to get out of me....does that make any sense?

alright, I should think about bed here soon. Thanks for any ideas or support.

ltz,
andy
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau