Well, I've been playing acoustic guitar for a year now, so I was thinking on getting a electric guitar. I've already got an epiphone les paul standard from my friend for only $260. My 8th grade graduation is coming up so what other things I need to get? I know I need a low costing amp that is still pretty good, some extra guitar picks, extra strings, a strap, a case, and a stand. What amp should I get and what other stuff do I need?
Quote by ShyWawn
Well, I've been playing acoustic guitar for a year now, so I was thinking on getting a electric guitar. I've already got an epiphone les paul standard from my friend for only $260. My 8th grade graduation is coming up so what other things I need to get? I know I need a low costing amp that is still pretty good, some extra guitar picks, extra strings, a strap, a case, and a stand. What amp should I get and what other stuff do I need?

amp depends on what you want to play
and the other stuff shouldnt cost more than around $150
oh and you dont need the stand
get a wall hanger if you must put it somewhere visible($10 around here), otherwise in the case under the bed works just fine
What kind of music do you want to be playing and what kind of budget are we looking for amp?

The rest of that stuff would be fine unless you want to start getting pedals, but that's unnecessary for you just starting out.

EDIT: $250 isn't bad for a starting amp. Unless you're going to be playing metal, I'd suggest a Vox Valvetronix. They're really great amps for the price with a lot of built in effects and amp models.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jun 7, 2008,
a lead
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Last edited by Beebaboo at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by Burning Star 4
a lead

Yeah, a cable would be necessary, also.

EDIT: Unnecessary comma is unnecessary.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I play all kinds. Rock, hard rock, metal, punk. Metal is something I'm not really much into though. More of punk and rock music I guess.
As far as amps go, look at the Roland Cube amps... great distortion effects, a few other nice effects built in, fair bit of volume and a nice sound. They're pretty cheap, too.
Quote by ShyWawn
I play all kinds. Rock, hard rock, metal, punk. Metal is something I'm not really much into though. More of punk and rock music I guess.

go for a small tube amp
i wouldnt know what to suggest for that though
blues/classic rock is my forte
Get a vox ad30vt for your amp, or a vox ad15vt if you cant afford it. It's a really great practice amp. It's versatile and has quite a few different amp models and effects to get you started
Guitar, amp, cable, strap, handful of picks... sounds good!
No need to 'stock up' on strings, but always have like 2 packs in addition to the ones on your guitar.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
YOu should get a line 6 spider 3 you can get every damn tone you will ever need i play everything from 50's chuck berry stuff to thrash metal and the amp alawys delivers and its easy to use once u get the hang of it the 75 watt 1 is like $300 best deal for the quality
Quote by sandman-105
YOu should get a line 6 spider 3 you can get every damn tone you will ever need i play everything from 50's chuck berry stuff to thrash metal and the amp alawys delivers and its easy to use once u get the hang of it the 75 watt 1 is like $300 best deal for the quality

no.

EDIT: Not only was that a stupid post- you claim to have been born in 1984, but your profile also says you're in middle school... explain yourself.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by sandman-105

no, you should not.

Vox Valvetronix is looking favourite here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
For now... where you are in your playing.... I "assume" that you are more of a bedroom player... may be some jamming with other folks here and there. For now keep it simple... sure a good low priced tube amp could be good for you... in your price range you'll be looking for something used... or in the Epi Valve JR/Blackheart territory for tube amps. You might be able to get a Crate Palimino used for around the 300 dollar range.

But for now, I think you will be much better suited with either a Vox Valvetronix amp or a Roland Cube. It will give you enough flexibility in tone, and not break your bank. AND for the type of playing I "assume" you will be doing it will give you the ability to experiment with different tones and sounds (at lower volumes with decent tone) to explore and find your own "voice". While you play through one of these amps.... save your dollars for a while, and once you think you know what kind of tones you go for, and you are going to move into serious jamming/gigging with other folks OR you hunger for more volume/power/better tone.... take those modeled amp tones and look for the real thing in the tube amps you've used on the modeling amp.

Hope that helps!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.