Page 1 of 3
Prime Minister John Howard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote: ' IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.

Take It Or Leave It.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'

' This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

' We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society. Learn the language!'

' Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

' We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

' This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'

' If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves, American citizens will find the backbone to start speaking and voicing the same truths.

Why can't we do the same....?
becuase howard was a twat and no longer in power idiot

Edit: racist prick
I am me. Live with it.
because we aren't as xenophobic as the Australian government was at the time apparently.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quit being a dunce. America was founded by immigrants and continues to serve to immigrants as the place for opportunity.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The man, is full of win.

He also speaks the truth.
Creator and member # 1 of the "UREH UREH" Club. PM me to join.
America has lost it's balls, and you know that when we almost had a woman for a potential president. Takes a man to run a mans job, which a man founded.
Quote by fob12
America has lost it's balls, and you know that when we almost had a woman for a potential president. Takes a man to run a mans job, which a man founded.

I hope you're kidding.
Quote by fob12

You're an asshole.

Enjoy the report.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by hugmeplz
I hope you're kidding.

No, I'm not. This is our country, and it's losing it's balls.
Quote by Td_Nights
You're an asshole.

Enjoy the report.

Reported for what?
Quote by hugmeplz
I hope you're kidding.

No. Fob12 is as right-wing as they come. Also seems to be a believer in patriarchy.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Way to make Australia seem racist, Johnny-boy!
more sig required.
howard isnt in power anymore
and no-one should if they are that xenophobic
because unless you are an aboriginal/native american indian, your ancestors were migrants...
Member of the 'Guitarist Born in 1991' club
I don't see how this can be considered racist. Apart from the somewhat aggressive tone, he never said anything about not allowing immigrants to practice their beliefs etc. but just that Australia wasn't going to change it's culture and tradition in order to suit others. I think that's completely fair, if we have to respect the beliefs and culture of immigrants, why can't they do the same and respect ours?
I lol'd.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
He's not saying that he is against immigrants. He's saying that he doesn't think the country should have to change for people that wanted to come there and live.
Quote by fob12

Wow you are stupid. Aren't you the same guy from the evolution thread that couldn't comprehend that people didn't learn how to talk or write until a few thousand years ago.
^ That and many other things
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Australia should not be taken seriously on this issue. They only recently publicly apologised to the aboriginal people, who were native to Australia. Their exists racial tensions to this day "down under". This dude is obviously a xenophobic tool, whose daddy probably bought his way through college.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Quote by Liam4
I don't see how this can be considered racist. Apart from the somewhat aggressive tone, he never said anything about not allowing immigrants to practice their beliefs etc. but just that Australia wasn't going to change it's culture and tradition in order to suit others. I think that's completely fair, if we have to respect the beliefs and culture of immigrants, why can't they do the same and respect ours?

I completely agree with you. It's not an issue of racism or fear as others keep misunderstanding. It's a matter of law. If you enter into a country its expected that you abide by that country's law, regardless where you come from. Australians are expected to abide by muslim law if they were to enter into their country, so it is only right that they do the same here. I believe Australia should embrace multiculturalism and people should be free to express their own traditions etc, but I fail to understand why some communities come to the country and choose to completely isolate themselves.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Despite the racism, intolerance, and xenophobia;how does your 'logic' take into account citizens having I don't know, , a faith other than Christianity or if they're originally from a country other than Austrailia?

lol at Austrailia and the US being founded by immigrants too

edit: I do agree that you can't change a countries laws to suite your own laws though. But have you seen most of the people protesting this? They clearly don't think its something as simple as that.
Last edited by Inahrima at Jun 7, 2008,
Howard isn't in power.
He got voted out last November.
So what he said doesn't really matter now, does it??
Sigs are overrated.
Quote by Inahrima
Despite the racism, intolerance, and xenophobia;how does your 'logic' take into account citizens having I don't know, , a faith other than Christianity or if they're originally from a country other than Austrailia?

lol at Austrailia and the US being founded by immigrants too

Different cultures and religions are respected in Australia. It's an issue of law. Do you think it would be right for a community of Australians to enter into a muslim country and not abide by their muslim laws? Nobody is forcing anyone to fly flags here, just respect the country's culture you freely chose to live in.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Quote by dannyboy14
Howard isn't in power.
He got voted out last November.
So what he said doesn't really matter now, does it??

Exactly.
I'm sick of the way Australia is portrayed because of what Howard did/said.
He's not in power anymore people!
Besides, this just shows that he wanted immigrants to go by Australia's laws when in this country, and not their own.
Simple, yes?
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by lucid_strat
Different cultures and religions are respected in Australia. It's an issue of law. Do you think it would be right for a community of Australians to enter into a muslim country and not abide by their muslim laws? Nobody is forcing anyone to fly flags here, just respect the country's culture you freely chose to live in.

Read my edit.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp

Read please

EDIT:
Quote by Eternal_One
Australia should not be taken seriously on this issue. They only recently publicly apologised to the aboriginal people, who were native to Australia. Their exists racial tensions to this day "down under". This dude is obviously a xenophobic tool, whose daddy probably bought his way through college.

Congrats on forming an opinion without knowledge.
Last edited by Adam_G at Jun 7, 2008,
I'm split on this issue. Whilst it does seem in some ways reasonable, it also comes across as an extremely xenophobic thing to do.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I think this guy was a little to extreme, but there is still something to be said about many countries (including the US) becoming way too politically incorrect. We live in a society, and compromises have to be made and not everyone is going to get what they want all the time (immigrants and non-immigrants). It's come to a point where people are so scared to voice their opinion because they will be deemed "a rascist prick" by suggesting that some people have to adapt. That being said, there are racists who say too much....speaking of saying too much, I certainly did. allright, I'm done.
Quote by hollow1928years
He's not saying that he is against immigrants. He's saying that he doesn't think the country should have to change for people that wanted to come there and live.

This man knows what he's talking about
Xenophobe.

I don't know. Everyone else was saying it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Eternal_One

How about you-

A. Learn to spell and use grammar
B. Learn what the hell it is that you're talking about
C. GET THE HELL OFF MY INTERNETS!

The reason that Australia hadn't 'publically apologized' to the Aboriginal people, (and by this I mean the government, thousands of Australians had already expressed their sorrow at what happened), is that it was thought that it wasn't appropriate to apologize on behalf of other people's mistakes. Howard himself said that a false, 'empty' apology could get in the way of real progress made to reconcile with the Aboriginal people.

The apology was merely an official statement, no more than a couple of words on paper, to express the Government's regret, (on Australia's behalf), on the events of the Stolen generation. Although it was an important step in the right direction, it was only an official statement by the Government. Australia has provided substantial support to the Aboriginal people in government pensions and other means over the years, and this, to me, speaks very loudly about the regret that Australians feels about what happened to the Aboriginals in the stolen generation.

Australia is one of the most multicultural nations on the planet, and your statement that 'Their exists racial tensions to this day "down under"' is extremely ignorant, general, and just wrong. Here's an eye opener for you- There's bloody racial tensions everywhere! Look at the world, it's screwed up, and you obviously don't know a damned thing about Australia. Besides, should I call the whole of America 'racist red necks' because of the actions of a few against the African Americans?? I don't think so. You're doing the same thing. By and large, Australia is a very tolerant nation, with one of the largest concentrations of people of different ethnicity in the world.

Now grow a brain, bitch.
Sigs are overrated.
really, all he is saying is that immigrants shouldnt try and change the society they come to live in. he may have said it a bit too aggressively, but he isnt really being racist. he just wants them to respect the australian way of life

i can see his point though. when you can't have a santa clause in a town centre at christmas because it might offend muslim immigrants, then that is political correctness gone way too far, and I am pretty sure that actually happened.
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by dannyboy14
How about you-

*pwnage*

Now grow a brain, bitch.

Nice.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I would like a Link to were he said this, and the news report... I dont ever really recall him saying anything like that, I remember him saying if you move to australia you should learn english, which is a valid point.
I'd like a link. A lot of it seems like it could have been taken out of context.
more sig required.
I gave a link to explain this entire thread and context. I expected a "/thread" but obviously no one has read it.
Page 1 of 3