Page 1 of 2
Does the MG series half stack fail in the head or the speaker? Because, I see a deal for a Marshall half stack with a cabinet that differs from the stock (cab is an 'MC'). I was wondering if I would still get extra crappy tone akin to the MG with this setup, or if it would perform better than stock. Amp here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFX-and-MC412A-or-MC412B-Half-Stack?sku=482860

Also, how would this perform for performing Thrash Metal? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Half-Stack?sku=485058
the mg stack fails in both the head and cab.
no, just no.
mg=oversized crappy practice amp.

a hell of alot better than a mg. but no need for a halfstack.
get a combo.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
It fails everywhere actually.
Buzzy sound,crappy sound...just...NO! xD
I played my friends 30watt MG and my Ibanez TBX15R was sooo much better.
Not to mention that you can get a Peavey Valve King for the money of the MG halfstack.
and VK is louder,a loooot better,all tube, looks nicer and smaller(if you don't get the half stack...but VK halfstack is 800$ I guess).
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I usually get a lot of crap about my MG stack, but I'm proud to say I own one and it works just the way I need it to. As long as you don't use the overdrive channel on it, it's a perfectly good amp. The cab is a little weak, but I can deal with it. I only use it for lead and clean sounds. If you can get good distortion from another source (tube fex =]), the amp is good.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
It's honestly better to save up for a better amp for metal if you really want true distortion...Or the Peavey 5150 combo is always good...

But the ValveKing is a decent amp, and the Marshall is just junk...
Alright, no go on the MG. I guess Marshall will wait until I'm rich and famous

I am going to be performing small to medium sized gigs, so would the stack be overkill on that, or is it a good idea to be prepared in case I misjudge the size of a gig?
hmmm depends.
a 5150/6505 combo will do any size gig.
a valveking combo 212 should be more than enough.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
stack performs best with the volume at like 3 or 4 or 5. so it depends on how loud you play my drummer ****ing beats his drums and i need at least 100 watts to cut through him. i play thrash metal 2 though. half stack is overkill if it's small because keeping it so low will kill the tone
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
It fails in tone.

You may not hear it right now, but once your ears hear a tube amp you'll be like "wow I can really tell now"

It's a bit pointless to get a solid state half stack because solid state sounds worse the louder it gets usually, and tube amps are the very opposite.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
the MGs sound like ****.
Like when some little kid turns the distortion all the way up then records it with a ****ty webcam, the sound that then comes out of your crappy computer speakers that you bought for 5$ at WalMart 10 years ago - that's it, that's the sound of MGs alright.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by PhantomNote
the MGs sound like ****.
Like when some little kid turns the distortion all the way up then records it with a ****ty webcam, the sound that then comes out of your crappy computer speakers that you bought for 5$ at WalMart 10 years ago - that's it, that's the sound of MGs alright.

i have never seen in been so perfectly described
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Should I get the Valveking 212, or keep with the stack? If I get the stack, I won't be able to afford a distortion pedal (which I would probably need).
no. no ds-1.
look into a digitech bad monkey i think is whats it called.
its cheap and amzing.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
^Well that defeats the purpose of the VK's own distortion.

If you're buying a valveking, use any extra money you have to have a new speaker put in, the stock one isn't up to it for metal. Change it out for a Celestion V30, or a G12T-75.
The valveking should be fine by itself, but if you feel that you need more gain, grab an overdrive pedal instead. Ibanez Tube Screamers, Maxon OD's, Digitech Badmonkey, etc etc are all standard when it comes to pushing your gain.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Well, which pedal should I get to compensate for the Valveking's poor gain? Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing so I need help on this one. Again, I'm looking for a Thrash/Speed/Power Metal sound.
Last edited by Beebaboo at Jun 7, 2008,
Heck. If it has Zack Wylde and Kerry King's name on it, it must be the best amp money can buy! Cause you know those guitar gods are in NO way sell outs and would never put their name on an amp they thought wasnt perfect!

Sounds good to me! ; )
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Beebaboo
Well, which pedal should I get to compensate for the Valveking's poor gain? Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing so I need help on this one. Again, I'm looking for a Thrash/Speed/Power Metal sound.

It doesn't have poor gain. It has a poor speaker. Replace that so that the sound can be outputted properly and you have an amp that is definitley capable of thrash metal. I should know, I play thrash metal on it every day.
Quote by Ubershall404
Heck. If it has Zack Wylde and Kerry King's name on it, it must be the best amp money can buy! Cause you know those guitar gods are in NO way sell outs and would never put their name on an amp they thought wasnt perfect!

Sounds good to me! ; )

What the hell are you talking about?

Seriously, how is that relevant?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^Well that defeats the purpose of the VK's own distortion.

If you're buying a valveking, use any extra money you have to have a new speaker put in, the stock one isn't up to it for metal. Change it out for a Celestion V30, or a G12T-75.

Which one should I get to get a sound like Megadeth?
BTW, I'm getting the 212, which has 2 speakers instead of the 112's 1. Now, It would be too costly to replace both speakers while I could just get a distortion pedal. So which pedal should I get?
ARGH DON'T GET THE 212

A 212 Tube combo is an epic backbreaker, and you really don't need it, a 50w 112 Valveking is WAY WAY more than you'll probably need, i've never had to turn my 30w 112 valve amp above 3 for gigs - Valves are louder than SS amps.

And to answer your question, the MGs have crap tone, the cabs are useless and they're crap allround.

If you must get a Valveking, get the 112 and a speaker upgrade.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

If you must get a Valveking, get the 112 and a speaker upgrade.

+1
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^ Yeah but the thing with the 212 Valveking is that it isn't any better. Just bigger, and unnecessarily so.

You'd be wise to look into that Randall, arguably it has a better tone, however the speaker is gonna be a low-end Celestion, although the tubes won't need replacing. I'd take the Randall of the two.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The MG fails when its powerswitch is turned 'ON'
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Only person who actually likes the MG is Mr. Wylde. According to him, it has 'crushing' distortion.
Quote by Kozlic
It fails everywhere actually.
Buzzy sound,crappy sound...just...NO! xD
I played my friends 30watt MG and my Ibanez TBX15R was sooo much better.
Not to mention that you can get a Peavey Valve King for the money of the MG halfstack.
and VK is louder,a loooot better,all tube, looks nicer and smaller(if you don't get the half stack...but VK halfstack is 800$ I guess).

I'd rather play an MG than a Valveking, because at least MG's aren't quite so dull and unresponsive
the preamp is the main part that fails as its the pre-amp that produces the weak, brittle cleans and that harsh, buzzy, flat distortion then the power-amp stage is also awful, thats why the amp ends up sounding so much worse when you turn it up loud. the power-amp breaks up like a transistor radio. Just don't get one.

edit: ^wut? MG more responsive than a valveking? I didn't think anything could be less responsive than the MG.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
edit: ^wut? MG more responsive than a valveking? I didn't think anything could be less responsive than the MG.

well, responsive probably isn't the right word.

Basically, if you use the overdrive channel of a valveking, you're restricted to one sound, which is basically muddy mulch.

At least on an MG if you turn the gain right down you can get a crunchy sort of tone.

Now, there's no way you can do that on a valveking. I even tried using the clean mode and running it through a Jackhammer, which does instant Peter Green, but no avail.

I honestly can't see the fascination with Valvekings, I found them to be utterly jarring and unpleasant. And this was in an acoustically treated recording studio, too.

Having said that, yes, I am biased towards the more dark sounding amplifiers.
Quote by Parentadvisory
my drummer ****ing beats his drums and i need at least 100 watts to cut through him.

Bullsh!t.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Bullsh!t.

Well, he has a Crate 120 watt solid state... I'm not surprised if he needs to turn it up to cut through with drums.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Well, he has a Crate 120 watt solid state... I'm not surprised if he needs to turn it up to cut through with drums.

Lmao fair enough, but I bet you could get away with 80 watts (granted that's not a huge drop in wattage).
Kid should get a valve amp
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 2