Ok....
so...we're having a gig on 20th of June...
We will be playing 7 covers and 1 original song.
Can those covers cause any problems...like...us paying bounties or getting sued...?
Like if we tell the original name of the song? or maybe mention the band that wrote it?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Like if we tell the original name of the song? or maybe mention the band that wrote it?

I think you should do both-say 'this is XXYY, by TTUUVV'. There'll be no repercussions if you do that.
ok...thanks!

and if we tell just the name of the song without who's song it is?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
yeah it's usually not a problem, theres a monthly licensing fee that venues with DJs or Cover bands pay that covers this sort of thing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by mon_the_fraser
Not unless you plan to make money from it and record and sell it

it's still not an issue, because in that case the record pressing company usually adds the royalties owed to the overall cost, so you don't actually have to do anything, although it does cost more.

Last.fm
Millions of bands all over the world, especially tributes, play covers at gigs. As far as I'm aware, not one of them have had any legal action taken against them.
Recording another band's material and releasing it without prior permission or without paying any royalties however is a very different matter and should be avoided.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Recording another band's material and releasing it without prior permission or without paying any royalties however is a very different matter and should be avoided.

you don't need permission as long as you credit the song properly, but you do have to pay royalties, although it's usually a good idea to get permission anyway.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you don't need permission as long as you credit the song properly, but you do have to pay royalties, although it's usually a good idea to get permission anyway.

Agreed, the permission thing is a generaly fuzzy area of law, but the royalties bit is a definate part of law.
However this concerns recording for sale purposes only, (recording a cover just for your own amusement, maybe as an exercise or just simply for yourself to listen to is perfectly OK, as long as it doesn't make it onto any public media, like the net for example)
As the thread starter is only talking about doing some covers at a gig, he hasn't anything to worry about.