I was just wondering what the "right" amount of songs is to include on a demo which you will be sending to labels/promoters and selling to fans. I was thinking 4-5, but I've been reading quite a few articles which say 3 is the maximum if sending to labels. My bands hoping to record soon, so should we just record 4 tracks, choose the best 2 or 3 for label and promoters, and keep the extra track on the versions of the demo we sell?
Make sure the first song is something that will immediately grab whoever is listening to it from the word go. A&R guys generaly only give demos a few seconds, and if it hasn't done anything to impress them by then, it get's thrown in the bin.
New question. At the moment recording is going to cost £150 (that's a day in the studio, with an engineer, recording tracks live with vocal overdubs.) I was just looking around and saw a hire quipment place that is close enough. I was thinking, spend an extra £90 on hiring equipment to get the best sound possible. Is this a good idea?

Equipment we would be hiring is:

Marshall JCM 800 1 x 12 combo - £25
Trace Elliot (can't remember model no.) 1 x 15 combo - £30
Set of Zildijan A cymbals (14" HH, 16" + 18" crash, 20" ride) - £25
Zildijan 10" splash - £5
Zildijan 16" china - £5

TOTAL = £90
Quote by mh.666
New question. At the moment recording is going to cost £150 (that's a day in the studio, with an engineer, recording tracks live with vocal overdubs.) I was just looking around and saw a hire quipment place that is close enough. I was thinking, spend an extra £90 on hiring equipment to get the best sound possible. Is this a good idea?

Equipment we would be hiring is:

Marshall JCM 800 1 x 12 combo - £25
Trace Elliot (can't remember model no.) 1 x 15 combo - £30
Set of Zildijan A cymbals (14" HH, 16" + 18" crash, 20" ride) - £25
Zildijan 10" splash - £5
Zildijan 16" china - £5

TOTAL = £90

Depends how you are doing the recording. If it's a live recording, it may possibly be worth hiring better amps and drums, but if you are doing a recording by laying down drum tracks and then building it up with overdubs from there, maybe not. Most decent recording studios have the capacity to give you whatever sound you want via effects, so it really hardly matters what kind of amps or drum equipment to take along.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Depends how you are doing the recording. If it's a live recording, it may possibly be worth hiring better amps and drums, but if you are doing a recording by laying down drum tracks and then building it up with overdubs from there, maybe not. Most decent recording studios have the capacity to give you whatever sound you want via effects, so it really hardly matters what kind of amps or drum equipment to take along.

It's live recording, with only the vocals overdubbed.
Quote by mh.666
It's live recording, with only the vocals overdubbed.

Probably worth doing then, but check to see if the studio has something better than your own gear that you could use, or ask around and see if anyone you know with decent equipment will be willing to lend you their gear before spending any money.
I personaly wouldn't hire gear for a recording, but then, I know at least 5 different guys who I could turn to to borrow equipment off for the sake of a recording because I've been doing this a long time and I've built up a lot of contacts and made a lot of friends over the years, so if you haven't any other choice apart from using your own gear, yeah, I'd say go for it.