I will get a rg2ex1 soon (rg321ex) and i has a basswood body. in future after i buy a tube amp im planning on changing the pickups to active emgs. someone in this forum said basswood and active pups are **** is this true? and if its true why they but active emgs to ibanez?
what's your current rig and style?
i didn't quite understand that last sentence.

EDIT: this thread should be in the electric guitar forum.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jun 7, 2008,
thought i suited here better cos of pickups thing. anyway. i just wanted to know how active pickups and basswood body would be like. i ask this cos i heard something like they dont suit well together. is this true?
i haven't seen basswood guitars with active pickups.
for that price, i would go for something else.
yea probably but its just an example..... just want to know if active pickups are good with basswood bodies. thats all
it will be alot of work to get in actives in a guitar with passives from the beginning, since youll need to get in batteries also
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

is all the forum are made from moron users? just tell me this IS BASSWOOD BODY GOOD WITH ACTIVE PICKUPS. im not asking if its hard or not to put actives on a guitar :@
ask a damn pickup company, they know alot better than us
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Active EMG's are designed for mahogany body guitars which sound very warm. Jackson puts them in alder bodies though and they still sound sweet. Basswood sounds less trebly than alder. It's not a bad idea to put active pickups in a basswood body.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I was running emg's in my Ibanez 370dx.. It was decent and alot better then some other ones i tried.

Pro's- Actives will sound like actives in almost any guitar so if you like there tone then there a plus.

Con's- Made the guitar overly harmonic which is cool in some aspects but also annoying as hell when your hitting harmonics everywhere even when your not trying too.

Actives are gonna really amplify the wood and give the tone a overall mid-flat feel so your chugs are more thuds then chugs in a sense.

So the choice is yours... If you like how actives sound then yes get them, but just know there not going to sound as good as they can be if they were in a mahogany or alder body.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 7, 2008,
It should sound fine.
Well, as good as EMG's can actually sound...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It doesnt matter what you have as a body wood. If you go with an active pickup its gonna mask alot of the natural tone from the guitar anyway. You can put active EMG's in a cheap ass B.C. Rich and it will sound pretty much the same as active EMGs in a mahogony bodied Les Paul. So with active pups, the body wood makes little to no bearing o the end tone.
So you can buy a 100 dollar guitar and put actives on it and it will sound like a 1000 dollar guitar in same amp??
Quote by blind.quardian
So you can buy a 100 dollar guitar and put actives on it and it will sound like a 1000 dollar guitar in same amp??

Sort of... Actives are not as dependent on the guitar like passives are. Now there will be tone changes and slight overtones depending on the wood. There was a pretty big jump going from basswood to alder. But the true emg sound still came through regardless the sound was just brighter and a bit fuller when i made the switch to alder. And a 100 dollar guitar will not sound like a 1000 dollar guitar but it will sound like a guitar with emg's in it.
with EMG`s 90% of the tone is the pickup, unless you have an expert ear you`ll never hear the other 10%.

My BC Rich and my nephews LTD EX 400 sound the same, with the 81`s

so ya, if you want to put actives in a Basswood guitar go nutz, then when you upgrade the guitar keep the EMG`s and swap them to the better guitar.
Quote by blind.quardian
but if the guitar doesnt matter with active emgs why i should upgrade the guitar?

Better hardware.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)