I need a new gigging amp, im pretty sure that everyone will agree with me that my Marshall MG100 needs replacing
I'm a guitarist which takes on all aspects of music ranging from Heavy rock, metal, country, blues, fusion and Jazz. So i'm looking for a pretty versatile amp.
The main tones i try to get are the Slash, hendrix and clapton deep warm tones.
I've got Epiphone Les paul and some Ibanez s series which looks like herman Li's but modified(different inlays and pickups and stuff)

I'm still at school age 16 so im pretty much tied with money but the valveking is in my range, unlike the marshalls.

What's the good and bad about these amps? Is it worth getting and is it suited for me?

Many thanks.
I love my Valveking, It will give you all the volume you ever want and you can really get LOTS of different tones from it, I find that sometimes the overdrive isn';t enough for really heavy metal tones such as death metal, but i don't play that anyway, it will probably be very much suited to what you want to do.
Dean Vendetta 4.0 "Tiger Eye"
Peavey Valveking Half-Stack VK100+4x12"
i used a VK for a bit a few years ago and i must say for the $$$ its was a great amp. i say go for it you wont be disapointed. the only thing i dont really like about peavey amps is the speakers are kind of crappy but you can always up grade them when you get a little extra cash.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
thanks , i dont play death metal that much, if at all lol. its just the review on ultimate guitar made me loose confidence in it, but then again im going to try it out to see what it sounds and feels like to me.
I might use a few marshall pedals to try to get the marshall overdrive sounds.
It will be a lot better than the MG.
But i want to warn you if you get a stack. Do NOT get the Valveking cab. Please!
Its better to get a good V30/greenback 2*12 than to buy a crappy 412 VK cab. And if you really want a 412: look out for a used but quality one.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Ok note to self dont get the valveking cab, seeing as you have a Gibson Les paul classic, which my dads going to pass down to me, what does it sound like with a Peavey? I dont see my dad very often so i cant really try it out. But Les pauls are my main guitar.

thanks
Epiphone LP, SD Alnico 2 Neck, Pearly Gates bridge, Ibanez S series.
Marshall VM2266c, Marshall JVM410H + 1936c, Marshall MG100DFX
Vox Tonelab ST, Boss GT-8, Korg Ax1500g.
MXR Classic Distortion, MXR 10band EQ, Dunlop Crybaby
anyone know anymore about this amp, more details on the head.
thanks
Quote by Onza_jk
anyone know anymore about this amp, more details on the head.
thanks

Send me a message with your uqestions and i can answer anything you want to know about that head...
be patient until Bartdevil and IbanezPsycho come back on as both of these guys have fairly extensive knowledge on this amp head. Steven_Seagull gives good advice too.

EDIT: Bingo - see.

are you stuck on a half stack or would to combo work too? i've had my combo for about a month now and am pretty happy with it. it doesn't have Fender cleans but has everything else imo. i get nice tube clipping at vol.4 / gain 4 on the dirty channel.

hope that helps a bit.

;
I think the half stack may be a little overkill for you, unless your playing like 5,000+ venues.
You could probably just buy the 212, even that is pretty damn loud.
Hell, the 112 is f'in loud. and 1/2 volume.
I could consider the valveking 112/212. I'll go to a large music shop and try them out.
This amp would be purley for gigging, as i've already got a practise combo.
I've heard that the Valveking cab isn't worth getting, would a windsor cabnet be any better and is it compatible with the head?

Thanks
Quote by Onza_jk
Ok note to self dont get the valveking cab, seeing as you have a Gibson Les paul classic, which my dads going to pass down to me, what does it sound like with a Peavey? I dont see my dad very often so i cant really try it out. But Les pauls are my main guitar.

thanks

My Classic sounds KICKASS with my 6505. Its just UBERbrutal. Like pantsdroppingdown-brewtal.
But bare in mind that a VK isnt a 6505.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i live in the united kingdom, i dont think i can get Avatar cabnets here =\.
Quote by natel0083
I think the half stack may be a little overkill for you, unless your playing like 5,000+ venues.

I do not agree.
First of all: you get a different sound from a closed back cab than from an open back combo.
Second: If you go with the combo, you are stuck on the crappy VK speakers again.
Third: If a halfstack is only necessary when you play like 5000+ venues, why do so many guitarist that dont play for 5000+ venues have them? => right, because they sound fuller, and more 'in your face'.
fourth: a 112 isnt half the volume of a 212, its only 3dB less.

My suggestion also would be to go for the head (used?) and try to find a good 212 cab used.

*EDIT*
Quote by Onza_jk
i live in the united kingdom, i dont think i can get Avatar cabnets here =\.
look on ebay what you can find. Try to score a Marshall 1936 with V30's or something similar. They go for less than £200.

*EDIT*
£200 is maybe a little too much. £170 would be a very good price.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jun 7, 2008,
ok thank you very much!
So V30's would be my best bet in any cab?
Quote by natel0083

Dude, the 212 is the same amp in a combo. There shouldn't be much difference in volume if any at all. Plus what the other guy said, you'd be stuck with a closed back, and VK speakers.
Heres a quick run down...

Valveking
Treble: Dont take it past 5 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-5 adjust to taste. Imagine 1-5 is your new 0-10
Middle: Dont take it past 8 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-8 adjust to taste Imagine 1-8 is your new 0-10
Bass: Use as normal, but it lacks alot of bass so this were an EQ pedal helps out considerably
Presence:Use as normal - adds top end harmonics
Resonance:Use as normal - makes the bass response loose or tight
Texture knob:Clockwise Tight thrash tone, Counter Clockwise Loose and Modern but a bit muddy
Gain: Don't take past 7-8 or it will get muddy
Volume Button: In or out its a preference thing but at bedroom levels you might want to leave it out so you have more control over the volume knob.
Gain Button: Pushed In adds big boost of gain and highs.. Preference as well.

Loves OD pedals, best so far has been the Bad Monkey
Settings Level 10 Gain 0, But any OD pedal will work. Pretty much a must if your playing metal.

Also a EQ pedal is almost a must for fine tuning because of the quirks in the on-board eq'ing. Also there is a nasty little freq in the 2-4k range you will probably want to pull out with the EQ pedal as well.

I would check and see what tubes came stock in it. JJ's and Tung Sols are you best options. If you have Rubys or EHX you might want to change them.

After this setup you can get a really decent Metallica/lamb of god tone but thats as heavy as it gets before it turns to complete mud.

Setting wise here is an example... of how to work around the EQ...
Metallica's basic settings are Tre 7 Mid 2 Bass 7
But because of the eq quirks and like 0-5 being your new parameters your settings will look something like this.
Tre 4-4.5 Mid 2 Bass 10
then with the eq add in a touch more bass and a touch more mids to taste.

Also a BM is pretty much a must have if your doing metal. Usually i have it on with settings above and my amp settings with Gain button pushed in and gain at 5-7.

Speaker wise i would go with Vintage 30's or the Cheaper Warehouse Clones if your strapped for cash. Configuration wise 2x12 or 4x12 is going to be your best options.

Also this amp is a very versatile amp and can touch on pretty any genre so if you want versatile and play alot of stuff this is a great amp. If your buying it just for metal i wouldn't get it. Also of people fall into that trap when there buying amps they will hear a versatile amp doing a little metal and think its a metal amp or hear a metal amp doing a little blues and think its versatile. Bottom line is the vk is not a metal amp, its a versatile amp that can do metal. Also i know your looking for versatile im just throwing this out because others will read it...

Let me know if that helps and if you have any more questions feel free to hit me up.
aha thanks alot man!
I'll paste everything you said into a document.
I don't play much metal, i'm more of the classic to hard rock person.
^^ So basically, what you just told him was to cure muddiness and harshness, to scoop his mids to two? Fail, sir.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
A Valveking is a good amp. I was looking at one but decided on an Ashdown Fallen Angel, sounded more full and thick, although thats the combo version, I have no experience with the head versions of either amp. Look into B52 and Bugera as well.
Quote by MrCarrot
^^ So basically, what you just told him was to cure muddiness and harshness, to scoop his mids to two? Fail, sir.

The metallica example is what everyone use's for there settings also guess who else use's those settings ...METALLICA. It was an example and if you would have read a little further you would see that i said add more mids with an eq pedal to taste.

also posted....

Valveking
Treble: Dont take it past 5 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-5 adjust to taste. Imagine 1-5 is your new 0-10
Middle: Dont take it past 8 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-8 adjust to taste Imagine 1-8 is your new 0-10
Bass: Use as normal,

So how is tre 5 mid 8 and bass 10 scooping the mids....

Also i said go with V30's which add mids.... again more mids talked about...

So please LEARN TO READ and stop trying so hard to be a pain in the a$$.....
Quote by Onza_jk

thanks

I play my Gibby LP Classic Antique (has '57 Classic Humbuckers) through my mate's Valveking 1x12 combo and it sounds great. Also take a look at the Laney VC30 combo, in the UK it's roughly in the same price range as a VK halfstack, they get a nice good vintage sound, which is what you'd be looking for I'd guess?
alright thanks
if ur a metal fan ull like the 5150, the valveking plus a mxr 10 band eq will get u sounding like a 5150
IbanezPsycho

hey, I like your review on the ValveKing. I'm in the market of for a decent amp. my tastes are more 80's sounding.

Ratt
Def Leppard
Rush
Dokken
Van Halen
Tesla

Ect...

I have a Jackson Dinky DXMG, I'm replacing the EMGhz with Dimarzio ToneZone (neck) and a D-Sonic (bridge)

What are your thoughts on the jackson with this amp? Will it be a good 80's style heavy metal amp?

Also, I have a Line6 POD x3 for affects and modeling.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
uumm...

you realize you just bumped a 6 month old thread?

Check the Valveking thread or start new. IP posts there a lot so he'll see ya.

Oh yeah, I knew it was old. Sometimes the best threads are the old ones that get reserrected.
I would recommend the Peavy Windsor over the Valveking head, but that's just me.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

You know, I've heard good things about the windsor. Why do you suggest windsor over valveking?