Basically I'm looking for a pedal that will give me a different kind of distortion to my amps one. The amp I have is a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 with a few mods. The amps own distortion is typical marshall really, so pretty thick.

I'm after a pedal that can get me a thin, defined distortion similar to the one in this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ2162HSz4s

All help much appreciated!
Yep, single coils if you want a thinner tone. However the Boss DS-2 is a good bet with a few little adjustments.
Quote by Matsols
Single coils, less bass and mid and you're all set!

Yeh, I have tried that but I can hear the single coil twang which I love clean, but don't really like it in distortion.
Quote by carrick
the Boss MT-2 has a really nice sound

i have no opinion on the matter since i've never tried one, but you're gonna get flamed.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by carrick

Well, i'ts certainly thin sounding...

TS, Proco Rat is probably a good place to start looking but it's possible that you could get that sound just with an EQ pedal or overdrive with the amps distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i use a fulltone OCD and i love it i can crank up the drive to get that muddy metal sound or tweek it to get that nice warm blues feel there a little bit expensive though.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by carrick

oh yes certainly, it's like having crappy early Black Metal production value in a box!

You know it actually sounds less useless if you think about it that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm