Page 1 of 2
this thread is for dicussing one of the most beautiful fender guitars ever created...

the Jazzmaster !

by the way, for the people who'd like to get one but don't have the money for an american one or don't want a japanese: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Jazzmaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=518687
they started producing these just a while ago. i'm personally not too keen on these though...

post anything about jazzmasters here !
let's get this thing started.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 4, 2008,
I love that new Elvis Costello Jazzmaster at the bottom. I really want it, but I doubt that I'll have the money anytime soon, or that i would suit what I play. Looks awesome, but I probably couldn't really justify spending that much on a guitar that probably doesn't suit me.

How heavy can Jazzmasters go?
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
stock, they can get to rock levels ala Hendrix (he played one himself) and even a bit harder.
if you put in some higher output pickups, it'll do hard rock no problem.
i see you're a pearl jam fan, jazz's (stock) should handle that.

after all, the pickups are simply a variant of p-90s.
i dont like the bridge. for some reason i cant stand how it looks. other then that it has to be one of my favorite bodies.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
I wish I could buy one... Money is tight though
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
yea. its what the jagstang wished it could turn out to be.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by The red Strat.
no jazzmaster owners/lovers here ? ug disappoints me...

One of my friends has a white Jazzmaster he bought last year and he really likes it. Even though I'm a huge metalhead I love his Jazzmaster too he told me when he bought it used it already had its pickups swapped to Gibson pickups but I've never really heard it plugged in alone anyways so I don't really know how it sounds but it sure does play nicely.
Quote by Skar578
yea. its what the jagstang wished it could turn out to be.

not really... the jagstang was based on the jaguar and mustang, and the jazzmaster already existed before the jagstang.

Quote by Remonster
One of my friends has a white Jazzmaster he bought last year and he really likes it. Even though I'm a huge metalhead I love his Jazzmaster too he told me when he bought it used it already had its pickups swapped to Gibson pickups but I've never really heard it plugged in alone anyways so I don't really know how it sounds but it sure does play nicely.

oh yeah, jazzmasters play soooo good, they're always like butter IMO .
i bet that thing is a rock machine with those 'buckers.
I love the offset shape. Jaguar user here. Might get one of the CIJ Jazzmasters in the future. or the new MIM ones. contemplating whether to get a mahogany humbucker guitar or the Jazzmaster. probrably next year
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by lithium26
I love the offset shape. Jaguar user here. Might get one of the CIJ Jazzmasters in the future. or the new MIM ones. contemplating whether to get a mahogany humbucker guitar or the Jazzmaster. probrably next year

jazzmaster of course !
you have a really nic jag btw.

Quote by SG thrasher
*Que Laney-threadders.*

what ? i'm sorry, but being from Belgium, i can't understand everything 'round here.
Quote by The red Strat.
jazzmaster of course !
you have a really nic jag btw.

what ? i'm sorry, but being from Belgium, i can't understand everything 'round here.

The indie kids in the Laney thread bum Jazzmasters. So expect them to be in here a lot.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by SG thrasher
*Que Laney-threadders.*

Reporting for Duty.

Jag > Jazz

Still nice though.
Beatifull guitars, Im deffinately after one to pair up with my Jag.

Ill have to try the new classics out, see if they beat the japs, for the extra £50. The new pups and bridge look promising. =)
I love Jazzmasters, my local store has the purple sparkle J. Mascis Jazzmaster in stock, and whenever I'm there I play it. If I had 800 dollars it would be mine, but I need a new bass amp and a guitar amp.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*

The indie kids in the Laney thread bum Jazzmasters. So expect them to be in here a lot.
ah, that way.

meh, how could you not like jazzies ?

Quote by thellamaking
Reporting for Duty.

Jag > Jazz

Still nice though.

ah well, to each his own

Quote by beckyjc
Beatifull guitars, Im deffinately after one to pair up with my Jag.

Ill have to try the new classics out, see if they beat the japs, for the extra £50. The new pups and bridge look promising. =)

i actually doubt they'll be better than the japs, dunno why.
i find it's kind of a jazzmaster 'bastard', with the different bridge and hotter pickups and all.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Those guitars are so ugly I might cry.

you're kidding, right ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jun 8, 2008,

that is probably the sweetest jazzy i have ever seen, and i'm planning on building on just like it with warmoth.
^^Pickups should be different color, but other then that, go for it!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
I don't know, it's just the white and white looks weird, though it may just be the picture.

EDIT: Background doesn't help much either.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Yeah, that should work. It'll be one sexy hunk of wood, I'll tell ya that!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
haha, tell me about it !

10 cookies for the person who can guess which guitar i based the jazz on !
(it's based on a guitar of a famous musician, and the neck gives it away).
Its based on Lenny isn't it?

(I'm fairly sure I remember that from one of your threads...)
Still, one sexy guitar!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by The red Strat.

i actually doubt they'll be better than the japs, dunno why.
i find it's kind of a jazzmaster 'bastard', with the different bridge and hotter pickups and all.

In terms of construction and feel, youre probably right, japs always feel so nice to me. Whether its a strat or tele or whatever, they just feel that much better.

The different bridge is a good thing, that bridge is the biggest flaw in the history of mainstream guitars. Jap stock pickups are especially terrible, not even proper jazz pups, just MIM strat ones in a different casing.

Only thing i dont like is theyve moved the trem forward, it means better string tension, but one of the things i love about my jag most is its ability to have some pretty beefy strings without killing my fingers.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Its based on Lenny isn't it?

(I'm fairly sure I remember that from one of your threads...)
Still, one sexy guitar!

whoa, you have a good memory !

10 cookies for you, sir.

that's 6 already...

there ya go.

Quote by beckyjc
In terms of construction and feel, youre probably right, japs always feel so nice to me. Whether its a strat or tele or whatever, they just feel that much better.

The different bridge is a good thing, that bridge is the biggest flaw in the history of mainstream guitars. Jap stock pickups are especially terrible, not even proper jazz pups, just MIM strat ones in a different casing.

Only thing i dont like is theyve moved the trem forward, it means better string tension, but one of the things i love about my jag most is its ability to have some pretty beefy strings without killing my fingers.

no it isn't actually, you have to remember it was designed to be used for jazz, so THICK strings. with 12's or 13's, the bridge will work like a charm, trust me.
things like that happen when you don't use a guitar for what it's made for originally.

yeah, i agree about that.
One of the more famous Jazzmasters:

Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by The red Strat.

no it isn't actually, you have to remember it was designed to be used for jazz, so THICK strings. with 12's or 13's, the bridge will work like a charm, trust me.
things like that happen when you don't use a guitar for what it's made for originally.

yeah, i agree about that.

The bridge is the exact same with the jag, i used 12s in standard tuning for about a year when i first got it, still had to change the saddles and do quite a big set up project to get it to stop buzzing and pissing me about.

Trust me, ive had my jag for 3 years, tried every string gauge under the sun, have had every single typical ass problem with it, and i still love it.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by beckyjc
The bridge is the exact same with the jag, i used 12s in standard tuning for about a year when i first got it, still had to change the saddles and do quite a big set up project to get it to stop buzzing and pissing me about.

Trust me, ive had my jag for 3 years, tried every string gauge under the sun, have had every single typical ass problem with it, and i still love it.

Did you ever take it to a tech?
nahh im too poor for that stuff. Set it all up, put new saddles in, did the intonation, thread locked the screws, did the truss rod n everything myself. Turned out fine.

I instant win with my jazzmaster.....this isnt my photo but I have the jazzmaster you see pictured!

Its The Ventures Jazzmaster, Japanese but came stock with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, and it doesnt have any of the Rhythm/Lead circuitry.

The neck is lovely too, I think its a B shape, quite round, just nicely fat.

<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Wow, both of those look great. And if you do have that Jazz, you're one lucky son-of-a-b!tch.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Keep in mind that I am UG's official BC Rich police. Disrespect my brand, and I will mess with you!
But back in the late '70s, I saw my first Fender Jazzmaster. For me, at that time, it was the coolest musical instrument I had ever seen. I wanted one more than I wanted to get inside a female reproductive organ, if you know what I mean (and I think you do).
The Jazzmaster is a cool and beautiful axe. People with good taste realize this.
to TS and whom it may concern: the Jaguar thread has a lot of Jazzmaster users in it, check it out if you want your thread to grow. or find like-minded people
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by theacousticpunk
Wow, both of those look great. And if you do have that Jazz, you're one lucky son-of-a-b!tch.

yeah i do, the body and finish is actually mindblowingly tasty, its an ash body with very pretty grain and the finish is black but its almost transparent in the centre so you can see the lovely grain.

*waits for the obligatory "pics or it didnt happen"*
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I've never played one, but I certainly would like to. The Jaguar and Jazzmaster are fenders two best aesthetically designed electrics in my opinion.
...Bleep Bloop...
Page 1 of 2