what are pedals??
where do i put these to use it?

i hear there is distortion or something,
isnt distortion pedal the small thing that moves left or right for overdrive or distortion?

lol im a newbie..

thanks in advance
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Pedals are a circuit that changes the sound you are producing. Overdrive and distortion are similar, since the idea behind them is that you are cutting off the wave at a certain amplitude.

^this

sorry couldnt resist...

something like this, you use your foot to control an electronic circuit that changes the signal coming out of your guitar before it goes into your amp
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
oh cool,

where do i plug it in?

oh and what is that thing i mentioned above? the one where you slide left or right on your guitar?

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by akm_202
oh cool,

where do i plug it in?

oh and what is that thing i mentioned above? the one where you slide left or right on your guitar?

if you have a pedal(s):

Guitar--lead--Pedal--lead--(more pedals?)--lead---Input on Amp

or some ampos have effects loops that you can put them into there
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
Quote by chimpinatux
if you have a pedal(s):

Guitar--lead--Pedal--lead--(more pedals?)--lead---Input on Amp

or some ampos have effects loops that you can put them into there

oh so you need a lot of cables..

my amp only has input, cd line in (dunno what) and phones (dunno what) and other knobs

Originally posted by GOD
Last edited by akm_202 at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by akm_202

my amp only has input, cd line in (dunno what) and phones (dunno what) and other knobs

well dont worry about the effects loop then, its normally on higher end amps anyway

yes you need more than one cable, but it only depends on how many pedals you have, if youve just got a simple guitar-overdrive pedal- amp combo then you only need 2 cables
Quote by Shred Head

Quote by StrayCatBlues

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
mmmmm...ok

thanks

im thinking of wah-wah or reverb....maybe overdrive is more practical..

Originally posted by GOD
Well, overdrive is only really good if you have a tube or valve amp.

I suspect you have a Marshall MG. Not a great amp, but i'm not going to flame you seeing as how you just started out.

A wah wah pedal is fun to use, but takes a bit of practise (unless its an autowah).
If you wanted a pedal to create overdrive sounds you'd be better off with a distortion pedal.
like the others have said, a pedal is just an electronic device you use to alter the sound of your guitar. examples are chorus, distortion, and reverb

you plug the chord from your guitar into the pedal, and then another chord from the the pedal to the amp
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

Quote by akm_202

You only need to plug in the last pedal to the amp. The other pedals plug into the pedal after it. You still only plug into the input jack on the amp.

You do need a lot of cables, though. I don't know if pedals come with a short cable or not, if not only to connect from pedal to pedal... but they should.
In a nutshell, pedals basically give you the distortion and effects that your amp can't.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
^^What he said.

I can run my setup (multi-fx) with 2 leads... guitar to pedal input, pedal output to amp input.

Also, running some effects in parallel with each other with splitters and whatnot can make really interesting tones... I mainly use that for when 2 effects are interfering with each other (double delays with 2 single delay pedals, costly but cool).