I just received one of these pedals as a gift from my dad's friend. The jacks are a little wonky, and the LED is dead, so I've been having trouble trying it out. However, I've done some research, and apparently the model hasn't been made since the mid-80s.

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/OD1.xml

So, um, until I can get the jacks fixed, I really have no idea how it sounds. Has anyone here ever had a chance to try one out, or possibly owned one back in the day? If so, what pedal is it most similar to?

Help is greatly appreciated.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
wow cool those are hard to get, but easy to make DIY but yeah early Boss stuff is pretty good if you get it workin it should be sweet
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Well, I don't know bout OD-1s specifically. But I imagine they sound a lot like OD-2s. I mean they're both overdrive pedals; one's jus newer. An OD-1 prolly sounds like most Overdrive pedals. Has some punch, but not too much. Good for Blues rock, specially if you use chords like 7#9s or 13s, chords that have some punch.
Ah, well, okay. Maybe youtube has some videos of it or something, should probably check Harmony-Central if nothing else....

My plans were to buy a Boss BD-2, and since this doesn't seem to work yet, that'll have to do.

Thanks for the views on it, any additional opinions or experience would help greatly.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yay! I have one of these!
I'm not too sure what the pedal is similar to, but it's one hell of a pedal. It's easily one of the best overdrives I've heard, and with good reason too. It's that level knob that does a lot of the tweaking, it really fattens up the tone without increasing the volume too much. TBH though, most useable settings are below 12o'clock on the OverDrive knob.
Definitely recomended, it's absolutely killer!
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydpu1RbQQI
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr