Thinking of taking up the bass (well not RIGHT NOW, when I get my own place in a couple of months)..
Anyway I have a couple of questions I figured I could ask here..

First off, is playing the bass easier than playing the guitar? I know they're different instruments and all but they've both got strings and their appearance are quite similar (esp electric guitar/bass).

I (sort of) play the guitar (sometimes). I'm a lefty but I play the righty-way. I'm not sure, but if I -do- take up the bass, I'm thinking of switching over to playing lefty-style. Would that be a stupid move?
I'm really not good at playing the guitar so I don't think me not being able to "transfer my moves" or whatever you would call it would be that great a loss (if any loss at all...)

A completely unrelated question (to the above) but when playing the bass, do you play single notes or chords as well? I figured that the majority of the time it's single notes (else it'd end up too muddy?!) but do people EVER play chords on bass or is that simply a no-go?

Last stupid question.. is playing the bass fun?
I knoooow I'm posting in the bass forum so people will be like "yeah, DUH else we wouldn't be playing, stupid!" but seriously I looked at some of the tabs for some songs I like and a lot of the time (note, I didn't say ALL the time) it's just playing the same note 4 times in a row and then switching to another.. so.. is it fun?

Ok, enough stupid questions for now.

Edit: one more Q.!
Fretless bass and fretted bass. Is fretless worth the trouble (I'm guessing it's more difficult than fretted) or should I not bother and just go for fretted?
Last edited by Gomango at Jun 7, 2008,
1. Bass is as hard as you make it. A lot of guitar lines are very simple as well. Have a look at some Victor Wooten. Like any instrument, it is hard as you make it. Having less strings doesn't have any effect. Nobody would dispute that playing the violin well takes skill.

2. I'm left handed and I play right handed as well. Go with what is natural.

3. Bass can play chords, it is just that many chord played too low simply turn into horrible mud.

4. If bass is the right instument for you, you will love it.

5. Fretless has a different tone and feel to fretted bass. While it is more difficult, it doesn't really stop you once your intonation is sorted (putting your fingers exactly where you need too). Many great players like Jaco has absolutely no problem on a fretless.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by Gomango

First off, is playing the bass easier than playing the guitar? I know they're different instruments and all but they've both got strings and their appearance are quite similar (esp electric guitar/bass).

If this was the Pit, I'd laugh my ass off. But it isn't. Oh well.

And stay away from fretless basses. You barely started playing and you already think of them fretlesses? Point is, first you need to gain mileage on the regular bass, and if you're good enough (or atlest feel like it ), move on to fretless.