i been playing for now close to 3 years and i cant do alternative picking! i can only down pick, i get it all messed up when i try to up pick ... did this ever happened to anyone? did you fix it? how? i know practice will cure any bad in your playing but what should i practice? i was thinking playing scales while i pick up and down, but is there a better method? one last question, is alternative picking required for really fast speed?
do simple up down up down up down really slow until you get faster at it, maybe use a metronome.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Scales, definitely, then redo all the songs that you can play, and all the riffs you can play, and incorporate alternate picking into all of those.
And maybe it's not REQUIRED necessarily but it will be 10x easier to be faster if you use alternate picking.
"I've taken myself to the edges of life my way. And I'm still here."
just to get the hang of it, try just alternating on an open string.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Something you might do is down pick too far. Try barely leaving the string, that was you're closer to the string to up pick.
Or just play picking up until you're used to it
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Play -1-2-3-4- on every string very slowly until you get the hang of it. Don't do any complex patterns until you can pick properly; it will confuse you. Once you're okay, start doing more fun exercises such as real scale.

Yes, alternate picking is absolutely vital to speedy playing.
Quote by sucay
i been playing for now close to 3 years and i cant do alternative picking! i can only down pick, i get it all messed up when i try to up pick ... did this ever happened to anyone? did you fix it? how? i know practice will cure any bad in your playing but what should i practice? i was thinking playing scales while i pick up and down, but is there a better method? one last question, is alternative picking required for really fast speed?

Make sure you use a metronome when you practice so that you're even and controlled and can speed up when necessary.

Also, people will often talk about how sweeping and tapping are essential to playing very fast. However, the bottom line is this; if you can't pick accurately then you're not going to play quickly. It's more important to work slowly and build up your speed; the golden rule is that speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Once you have the muscle memory and muscle strength built up you'll be getting faster.