Page 1 of 2
rex brown- pantera
john campbell- lamb of god
johnny christ- avenged sevenfold
...pretty much any band that has awesome guitarists has an under rated bassist that does alot of work and keeps up with the guitarist(s)
Roger Waters - Pink Floyd

Though he does have a bit of an ego, he had talent, and a lot of people overlook him as a real "figurehead" of bassists, like Cliff Burton.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Flea - One Flea hater is one Flea hater he doesn't deserve.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Matthew Donovan - Cirpiko

Ya, those guys were good, but when he left it all went to nothing.
Quote by Hultan

He is over-rated you mean!!!

The dude isn't god, just an average bass-player!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by PlayMadness
Roger Waters - Pink Floyd

Though he does have a bit of an ego, he had talent, and a lot of people overlook him as a real "figurehead" of bassists, like Cliff Burton.

when you are talking about techinique and speeds he isn;t underrated...
he was a great composer, not a great bassist!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
when you are talking about techinique and speeds he isn;t underrated...
he was a great composer, not a great bassist!

Sorry, but a "great bassist" is someone who plays bass, and does it exceedingly well.

Roger Waters plays bass, and does it exceedingly well.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by PlayMadness
Sorry, but a "great bassist" is someone who plays bass, and does it exceedingly well.

Roger Waters plays bass, and does it exceedingly well.

... not in my world...
everyone can learn how to play the most difficult Pink Floyd song on bass withing a week!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Les Claypool because his popular funk/rock band Primus was based on his bass playing. He wasn't accepted into Metallica because he was too funky/good and they told him to start his own thing. Instead, Metallica picks Newstead and harasses him for years proving they are the dicks we know they are now. I mean, these guys played thrash metal and drank a lot yet cry and whine about Napster. And that's why Claypool is the most underrated bassist.
Quote by Neo Evil11
... not in my world...
everyone can learn how to play the most difficult Pink Floyd song on bass withing a week!

It doesn't take much to perform, but it takes a hell of a lot of talent to write that kind of stuff, which, once again, brings me to:

Roger Waters + bass + extreme talent = great bass player.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by the critic
Les Claypool because his popular funk/rock band Primus was based on his bass playing. He wasn't accepted into Metallica because he was too funky/good and they told him to start his own thing. Instead, Metallica picks Newstead and harasses him for years proving they are the dicks we know they are now. I mean, these guys played thrash metal and drank a lot yet cry and whine about Napster. And that's why Claypool is the most underrated bassist.

If Claypool is underrated, Flea is underrated.

Oh, wait...

Quote by Hultan

Never mind.
The.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Roger Glover from Deep Purple never gets as much respect as he deserves.

+1
Brian Gibson from Lightning Bolt
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Last edited by Nerdo-sez-bo at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Roger Glover from Deep Purple never gets as much respect as he deserves.

Yeah, especially Highway Star.

Another one is Matt Wong from Reel Big Fish. Although, he is more unknown than he is underrated. But he left RBF to be a father .
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
John Deacon is very underrated. The dude had some brilliant bass lines (Another One Bites The Dust, The Hitman...), and it's all 'cause of Brian May and Freddie Mercury. He was never spotted because of them. Bah.
Quote by Neo Evil11
He is over-rated you mean!!!

The dude isn't god, just an average bass-player!

We all know your trying to be funny so we can let that pass.

I think Nick Harmer from Death Cab For Cutie is VERY under-rated. Listen to the bass in Crooked Teeth.
Colin Greenwood, he just hangs out the back with the drummer, and adds so much to the song.

LOL at Flea and Claypool being underrated, they're two of the most praised bassists in music!!

EDIT: I agree that Flea is OVER rated like, his basslines aren't particularly hard.
Quote by The_Paranoia
We all know your trying to be funny so we can let that pass.

I think Nick Harmer from Death Cab For Cutie is VERY under-rated. Listen to the bass in Crooked Teeth.

...?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Froggy McHop
Colin Greenwood, he just hangs out the back with the drummer, and adds so much to the song.

LOL at Flea and Claypool being underrated, they're two of the most praised bassists in music!!

Yeah, but Claypool still shouldn't be shoved under ****ing John Entwistle of the Who in the top bassist lists. Seriously, who went and saw the Who for him? Claypool is the bassist who stars in the show, he is the best and by far the most creative. Listen to songs like DMV, Is It Luck?, etc.
les claypool is very creative.

flea is very good. and deserves all of the credit people give him
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
The vast majority of modern bassists.

Fact.

EDIT: Giovanni Benedetti.

Prove me wrong.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
jaco

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Lets see, John Entwistle is a great bass player no one talks about. Same with John Paul Jones, but then again I guess no one talks about bassists to begin with (and rightfully so) so maybe that's skewed.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Lets see, John Entwistle is a great bass player no one talks about. Same with John Paul Jones, but then again I guess no one talks about bassists to begin with (and rightfully so) so maybe that's skewed.

Come again?

Saxo-Walrus

mic todd from coheed and cambria and christopher wolstenholme from muse are pretty talented i think
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
This thread is screaming for Mike Watt.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by lanzaa
mic todd from coheed and cambria and christopher wolstenholme from muse are pretty talented i think

+1,000

That man is just astounding. The band just wouldn't be the same without him.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by chatttownbass14
rex brown- pantera
john campbell- lamb of god
johnny christ- avenged sevenfold
...pretty much any band that has awesome guitarists has an under rated bassist that does alot of work and keeps up with the guitarist(s)

They all play bass with picks. They're essentially guitarists with a bigger, heavier instrument. Any retard can play bass with a pick.

Quote by Bassman366
Dominic "Forest" Lapointe (Quo Vadis)

Now THAT is a man who owns playing bass. Mute Requiem is probably one of the most fun songs I've ever played on the bass.

Also, I don't know his name, but the guy who played bass in Cynic was really good.
Yeah Wolstenholme and Greenwood right some great stuff and compliment the music very well. Not necessarily more extravagent techniques but some ****ing great riffs. Another I love Carlos D of Interpol. Those basslines just go off completely different to the guitars (following to root notes is pretty dull) yet it fits perfectly.
Quote by madbasslover
They all play bass with picks. They're essentially guitarists with a bigger, heavier instrument. Any retard can play bass with a pick.

Now THAT is a man who owns playing bass. Mute Requiem is probably one of the most fun songs I've ever played on the bass.

Also, I don't know his name, but the guy who played bass in Cynic was really good.

What's wrong with playing bass with picks? A lot of good bassists do it.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by fallenangel20
+1,000

That man is just astounding. The band just wouldn't be the same without him.

Oooh yes, he is my favourite bassist, as said he really makes the band
jaco pastorius
jaco pastorius
jaco pastorius
jaco pastorius
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Page 1 of 2