Page 1 of 4
You know it's funny cause I heard this band for the first time today on a radio show. Really liked it.

They discussing the new album.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
they're blowing up right now. wasn't interested in them, but a friend played the album last night, and it didn't seem too bad. i'll have to give a few spins.
i listened to the EP off and on. pretty lovely stuff. not a shock that they are getting really big.
I intend on buying their CD. It is an amazing CD that should be played on the radio, because it is catchy and relaxing. It isn't at all arrogant and it has themes that relax. It is a very refreshing take on folk music, as Fleet Foxes makes the music instantly accessible. What is great is that it is instantly accessible and memorable. It is something to be recommended, if one is breaking into indie rock. However, this music should be classified as something in a league of its own. Spread the word! This is a great band.
Quote by Dragon Master
I intend on buying their CD. It is an amazing CD that should be played on the radio, because it is catchy and relaxing. It isn't at all arrogant and it has themes that relax. It is a very refreshing take on folk music, as Fleet Foxes makes the music instantly accessible. What is great is that it is instantly accessible and memorable. It is something to be recommended, if one is breaking into indie rock. However, this music should be classified as something in a league of its own. Spread the word! This is a great band.

this sounds like it should be on the band's one sheet.
i'm already sick of hearing "white winter hymnal". the college radio here played it two or three times this afternoon.
Dude, I bet college radio rocks! I think that fans of Fleet Foxes should also check out this band called Port 'O Brien. It's an indie band that recorded its debut All We Could Do Is Sing, in Alaska on a boat. That's a great idea for recording an album!
Quote by Dragon Master
Dude, I bet college radio rocks! I think that fans of Fleet Foxes should also check out this band called Port 'O Brien. It's an indie band that recorded its debut All We Could Do Is Sing, in Alaska on a boat. That's a great idea for recording an album!

i'll look into them even though recording on a boat sounds a bit gimmicky. and no, college radio sucks when you are the music director and you are trying to get people to play certain albums that aren't that good and you know they aren't that good, but if no one plays them the promo people won't be happy with you and they will stop sending you things.
Heh funny I was just about to make a thread about these guys. But yeah they're amazing, really haven't heard a band with this sound in quite awhile(well a few, mostly just My Morning Jacket) but they really blew me away. I know White Winter Hymnal is incredible but it seems thats all everyone talks about. For me personally I love Quiet Houses the best. Probably the most beautiful and simple guitar riff I have ever heard; it carries the entire song out perfectly. Amazing harmony and chorus in that song. Also, English Houses(I think it's called that) is pretty awesome too from their other EP. The guitar in that song is so trippy, as well as the chorus. Oh yeah and that song...what was it I think Blue Ridge Mountains, has a super epic sound, flowy piano and deep lyrics. Those are my favorites, but I love their other songs too. Incredible band. Hope they get an official website up soon!
My friend keeps going on about them, I'll have to give them a listen I think.
Quote by Dragon Master

people who like the fleet foxes should also listen to akron/family...
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
^ cd plus should have it. i think that's a cdn chain? anyways it's so nice listening to the full length with the windows down and the breeze blowing in.
Very cool album.

I picked it up at my local record store for pretty cheap. They had all their SubPop Records on sale.
I wish my dad were half that cool.

Alright, so my dad is probably half that cool, but he would never have something by Fleet Foxes. If I were to ask about some obscure 80s new wave band he could probably help me there though.
So I did have the chance to listen to album half of Sun Giant this morning. I thought it was very good.

The second track, Drops in the River, musically reminds me (at times) of The End by The Doors.
What's good is that they've charted in the Top Ten of the indie charts on Billboard. This band is going to stay around. I don't think that with a sound like this, thought needs to be taken for creative direction.
I have a question for those who have the seen the band live.

How are the performances compared to their recordings on album? I've watched several YouTube videos, and though the quality isn't too good, I'd say it's enough to conclude that the band isn't quite as tight live as I'd hope for.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though. And besides, there's still time to grow, right?
Listening to them for the first time on myspace now, sound good. Mykonos especially, might buy it if I can be arsed and am not broke in the near future.
i have only heard a few songs, but i've liked what i've heard. the album is on my list, but there's others i want first.

theheartbreaker, yeah i would have to agree that they don't sound as good live (based on what i saw from youtube). but then again, most bands that have gorgeous vocals don't nearly sound as good live like simon and garfunkel and crosby stills and nash.
True. The Byrds are one of my favorite bands, and their vocal harmonies on album are beautiful, but live...ugh. However, I have seen some really good Crosby, Stills, and Nash live recordings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlVNod_krsM

Great live recording.
This band's sound is so raw and organic, while still retaining a sense of majesty through the vocal harmonies. Best new band since Grizzly Bear.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

*BUMP*

I don't want this thread to die, because this band is definitely deserves to be discussed and given more publicity.

So to attempt to spark a conversation, does anyone think that the album cover has any significant meaning, or simply that it is a nice piece of art?
Well, Bruegel's paintings are quite "earthy". It ties in with the music quite well. That specific painting is the one about proverbs, right?

Maybe they just used it becuase Bruegel is awesome.

EDIT: I found a list of the proverbs on wikipedia, if anyone is interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlandish_Proverbs
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Aug 22, 2008,
Page 1 of 4