Page 1 of 5
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/nyregion/06rape.html?ex=1370491200&en=bc60cf51266f5a15&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

tl;dr- Woman gets tortured and raped for nineteen hours straight.

The time crept by so slowly and painfully that the 23-year-old Columbia University journalism student had decided it was time to end her life.

Over many torturous hours, she had been repeatedly raped, sodomized and forced to perform oral sex, a prosecutor told a jury on Thursday. The accused, Robert A. Williams, 31, had doused the woman’s face and body with boiling water and bleach, forced her to swallow handfuls of pills and to chase them with beer, sealed her mouth with glue, and bound her wrists and legs with shoelaces, cords and duct tape, said the prosecutor, Ann P. Prunty. And now, Ms. Prunty said, he was asking the woman to gouge out her own eyes with a pair of scissors.

And so the woman, sitting on the floor of her studio apartment in Hamilton Heights and holding a pair of scissors between her knees — the blade pointing toward her face — tried to stop the suffering. She lowered her face to the blade, but turned her head at the last moment, trying to stab herself in the neck instead of her eyes.

The scissors slipped from her grasp, the suicide attempt failed, and the woman suffered several more hours of torture, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman survived the nearly 19-hour ordeal, which ended, Ms. Prunty said, when she used a fire started by Mr. Williams to burn the cords that secured her wrists to a futon.

Mr. Williams went on trial Thursday in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, where he faces 71 criminal counts, including attempted murder, rape, arson and assault. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Mr. Williams, who was homeless at the time of his arrest about a week later at the scene of a burglary in Queens, has a lengthy police record dating to his childhood, the authorities have said.

He was charged in a murder as a juvenile, though the outcome of that case is sealed, a law enforcement official said, and he spent eight years in prison for an attempted-murder conviction in 1996.

The prosecution began presenting its case with Ms. Prunty’s vivid, step-by-step account of the attack, which she said began about 10 p.m. on April 13, 2007, and lasted until 4 p.m. the following afternoon. Mr. Williams’s lawyer, Arnold J. Levine, did not make an opening statement. Outside the courtroom, Mr. Levine declined to talk about his strategy. In hearings before the trial, he seemed to indicate that he would challenge witnesses’ identification of his client.

The victim and several witnesses in the six-story apartment building where the woman lived picked out Mr. Williams from lineups, Ms. Prunty said. She said that DNA evidence also linked him to the crime.

Justice Carol Berkman, who is presiding over the trial, found in October that Mr. Williams was mentally fit for trial. After that decision, Mr. Levine said he was considering a mental illness defense.

As Ms. Prunty delivered her opening statement, Mr. Williams sat slouched in his chair, with his head tilted downward.

On the night of the attack, the victim, a month from graduating with a master’s degree, was at Columbia, putting the final touches on her résumé for a job fair the next day, Ms. Prunty said. When she arrived at her apartment building, she got on the elevator and found Mr. Williams inside, Ms. Prunty said. She rode with him to her floor, and could hear him follow her as she navigated the long L-shaped hallway to her apartment.

As the woman entered her apartment, Ms. Prunty said, Mr. Williams asked her if she knew where a Mrs. Evans lived. The woman stopped to answer.

“Her kind moment of hesitation would cost her,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams forced his way into the apartment, Ms. Prunty said, put the woman in a chokehold, and slapped her cellphone from her hand. Mr. Williams slammed the door behind him, and “her Friday the 13th nightmare began,” Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams turned a clock by the woman’s bed to the wall and made her take off her watch so she would not know what time it was, Ms. Prunty said. He raped her repeatedly and cut her hair because “he wanted to see her face, her fear and humiliation.”

He made her sit in her bathtub, and that was the first time he told her to gouge her eyes, Ms. Prunty said. He punished her for refusing by boiling water in a kettle and throwing it on her, the prosecutor said. The water jolted her so much that she broke through the bonds on her wrist, Ms. Prunty said, as the skin on her chest, torso and thighs blistered. (On hearing this detail, one of the jurors shook his head and covered his mouth.)

“Just kill me! Just kill me!” the woman pleaded, Ms. Prunty said.

Later, after her failed attempt to kill herself with the scissors, Mr. Williams threw a heavy object at the back of her head, cracking her skull, Ms. Prunty said.

Mr. Williams was intent on damaging her vision because, Ms. Prunty said, “a blind witness could never identify her attacker.”

Mr. Williams eventually slit the woman’s eyelids and face with a butcher knife, Ms. Prunty said, but she did not lose her vision. He fastened her legs and arms to a futon, and she lost consciousness.

When she awoke, she again pleaded for him to kill her, but heard no response. He was gone.

Mr. Williams “only stopped when he could no longer feel the scourge of control over another human being,” Ms. Prunty said.

The woman smelled smoke, Ms. Prunty said, so she wriggled her legs free and pulled the futon away from the wall. She used the fire to free her arms, Ms. Prunty said, and then ran through the smoke to her door. It took her several attempts to open it because her hands were limp and numb, Ms. Prunty said.

The woman ran through her hallway seeking help, Ms. Prunty said, “an image of the walking, living dead.”
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Last edited by JakeTheDuck at Jun 7, 2008,
sounds like saw

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

That's horrible.

That man who raped her should be tortured like she did. An eye for an eye.

Sadistic bastard...Jeeeeeeez...
Oh my god... Im at a loss for words...

This is why the human race sucks. He should be punished by being tortured in the same way.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
That guy is one of the few people i believe deserves the death penalty.
Space reserved for cool quotes.
Holy F*cking Sh*t
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Wow....I don't understand why anyone would want to hurt someone else like that. I just don't get it. That man is a truly twisted individual that should have the same thing done to him. Poor girl.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Righto. You're officially the best person ever.
Thanks babe.

Paine of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

SSBB FC: 0645 - 5498 - 0197
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0

Don't kill him. This crime is far too serious and disgusting to kill him right away.

Leave him, and make him suffer as much as possible. No food for three days. Keep him in absolute darkness for weeks on end, then throw him in the sun. Boil him, see how he likes it. He should learn the meaning of suffering.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
The whole time reading that, I thought it would end with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme, but damn...

I agree with whoever said an eye for an eye, that guy needs to be punished
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Sounds like my kind of party!

But really, if we had anarchy, nothing would be done to this man. Long live anarchy and punk rock...
Quote by the critic

GTFO
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
i hope he goe to prison and is tortured, raped and beaten hourly so he feels dead, until the day he joins them
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by the critic

But really, if we had anarchy, nothing would be done to this man. Long live anarchy and punk rock...

I nominate this guy for a banning. Prick.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I imagine his new friends in prison will make sure he has a 'pleasant' stay...

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by PlayMadness
Don't kill him. This crime is far too serious and disgusting to kill him right away.

Leave him, and make him suffer as much as possible. No food for three days. Keep him in absolute darkness for weeks on end, then throw him in the sun. Boil him, see how he likes it. He should learn the meaning of suffering.

yeah usually i would say death penalty but thats way to nice I would love to spend tax money for him to be punished how you described.(not sarcasm)...he is one of the few that deserves this..
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0

Death should be a gift to him. As someone else said, this monster should be tortured just like he tortured the victim, then left to rot alone in an empty cell block the rest of his terrible life.
Quote by FelixJZ
Death should be a gift to him. As someone else said, this monster should be tortured just like he tortured the victim, then left to rot alone in an empty cell block the rest of his terrible life.

2 wrongs don't make a right, as they say.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Quote by Nerdo-sez-bo
2 wrongs don't make a right, as they say.

We can make an exception, because this thing obviously is not human.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by zippidyduda

look at his join date. blatant troll. he can well and truly GTFO

and btw, keep the f*ck up, Angus_Junior35, grundy is ALIVE!

on topic:

that guy is sick and i agree with whoever it was that said an eye for an eye
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Arch Enemy 65
If he goes to prison he'll be dead within a week

prbly true. thats terrible..why would someone do that.
Wow, that is truly sickening.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by zippidyduda

It was a joke and why don't you go and tell on me while you are acting like someone's little brother already? Toughen up, it is the internet.

I'm helping you realize people around the world have completely backwards-ass opinions then you do.
Quote by the critic

That's not what anarchy is about at all, you shouldn't be allowed to listen to punk...

Anyway, that's horrible, I can't believe somebody would do something like that.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I almost pity him. What could drive a person to do such a thing? Of course, the key word there is "almost". I hope he rots.
that is very ****ed up.... i don't wanna be a grown up anymore
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Quote by StreetLight3989
That's not what anarchy is about at all, you shouldn't be allowed to listen to punk...

Anyway, that's horrible, I can't believe somebody would do something like that.

No, anarchy is this + criminal going unpunished. Anarchy = No form of government plain and simple. That's why I picked fun at the stupid lifestyles of punk rockers and their blind opinions that have a cool logo and sound cool.
Quote by Arch Enemy 65
If he goes to prison he'll be dead within a week

+ a million, rapists are the bitches in prison.

he doesn't need capital punishment after this. he'll get his end in prison.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by the critic
No, anarchy is this + criminal going unpunished. Anarchy = No form of government plain and simple. That's why I picked fun at the stupid lifestyles of punk rockers and their blind opinions that have a cool logo and sound cool.

You know nothing about anarchy, gtfo troll. Anarchy is about community and living together peacefully with no higher ups.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Solitary Confinement for the rest of his life sounds adequate...

What a sick ****

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by StreetLight3989
You know nothing about anarchy, gtfo troll. Anarchy is about community and living together peacefully with no higher ups.

Oh yeah, and you can basically force a community to live peacefully despite personality clashes and gang clashes by just saying "We are anarchist, no one fight each other!" I'll bet that **** works out all right. It would sound better to say "anarchy should be about..." but half the time it's never like that. Your political views are but a dream.
Page 1 of 5