Well, I actually played two songs from beginning to end for the first time today. They are both super simple but I still feel like I accomplished something. They were mOBSCENE and Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson.

When I first started trying to figure out how to do anything on my guitar I thought it was hopeless and I would never be able to do anything with it. I gave up a few times but picked it up with renewed effort about two months ago and have finally been making some progress this time around.

Oh well, go me!
Go you!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Good job man, I remember that feeling.

Go you!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Ah I remember that feeling, it was Dig Up Her Bones by The Misfits for me, it was such a good feeling because it was the first day I figured out how to do power chords (even though I wasn't doing them right at the time haha) and realized most songs like that really aren't hard at all, I used to just get intimidated by the confusing looking tabs
Keep at it though, you'll be surprised how many more you'll be able to play pretty soon
Congrats. Keep at it man, before you know it you'll be tearing it up like you never thought you could
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody.

I have a book of all tabs I've printed out. The first section is all standard tuning and the other half is Drop-D tuned songs. Except for the two I mentioned earlier I haven't really been able to play any whole songs from beginning to end, just sections of them. A big part of it is just that I haven't been able to memorize anything especially long and the two songs I do play all the way through are essentially the same thing over and over with a few variations.

I still feel pretty good about it though! I went out and bought a distortion pedal today to celebrate.
^****ing combos

Awesome job man. I love that feeling of accomplishment.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Haha go you (again)

as a beginner myself i have to say im getting, there, almost learnt two songs but they are just too hard to memorize haha,

try learning more songs, sweet child o mine is fun to play
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Yeah, I just looked at Sweet Child, I am about to print it. It does look fun!

Some of the things I want to play have some really funky tuning that I can't figure out. My fiancee is a big dashboard confessional fan so I wanted to learn one or two of those songs for her but the tuning is crazy. The guy has like 4 strings tuned to D and I think the other two are A or something. I dunno, that's beyond me at the moment. I still can't do the "tune down a half step" Stuff yet either. I don't have the ear for it yet and I don't know how to do it on my electric tuner.

Oh well, I'll reread those articles when I have time.
I'm sorry, what I meant to express was that I have a device you use when tuning, not one that tunes for you. It's the kind that lights up green if the note is correct and red if it is flat or sharp. I have experimented with turning all the strings down so that the flat indicator is lit but there's no obvious way to know if they are "flat enough" if that makes sense. The red light comes on no matter how flat they are so I don't think I'm getting the whole half step down when I do it that way.
I knew what you meant. When I said "it'll tune you" it was just a poor choice of words. What I meant was, the tuner will now be set to E flat tuning, so when you tune it according to the device you will end up being tuned to E Flat.

(Invalid img)(That is what you meant, right?) (See the "flat" button. Look for one on your tuner)

And Here: http://www.chordbook.com/guitartuner.php (free interactive online guitar tuner)

It has an option for alternate tunings and to tune down half steps click the tuning knob-

Down for flat

Up for Sharp

Example: To tune to E flat click the tuning knobs down once for each string.

Hope that helps

EDIT: The only problem with this is that you need ot tune it by ear, there are no lights. But I hope you can do it!
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at Jun 8, 2008,
andy, for sweet child o mine
you dont really need to tune it,
sounds OK in standard tuning, or you can just move everything one fret back (so 14=13, 12=11 etc)
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Jun 8, 2008,