Lately I feel as if my improvised solos have been a bit stale as of late and so have started to look into learning some sweep picking. But is improvised sweep picking a good idea, or would it sound a bit awful? If it's a good idea, any tips on how to get it right? I only know the e minor pentatonic and melodic e minor scales and sometimes mix them up a bit, although they are almost the same thing practically. And even though I know I shouldn't judge my playing on how long I've played, two and a bit years of experience, played since I was 16. Just getting it all out there
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Sweep Picking is essentially just a method of playing arpeggios at a speed not normally attainable. Arpeggios are formulated in a Root 3rd 5th pattern, just repeated over, so you're basically just taking crucial notes from scales and "sweeping them". That's not to say it can't be done. Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and me are very creative bands when it comes to selecting ideal notes.

To make a long story short, noodle around with shapes. 3 string, 5 string and 6 string shapes can all be manipulated in very creative fashions.

Good luck
I make frequent use of economy and sweep picking in my improvised solos, though I generally apply it in a scalar fashion, rather than to arpeggios. If you want some good listening material, check out anything by Frank Gambale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Andraysexy
Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and me are very creative bands when it comes to selecting ideal notes.

I know, yeah? They make going up and down scales sound good! Can somewhat mimic their style, but ina crappy way and with less expertise Anywho, fair enough. Just come up with some shapes in a scale and practise them then, awesome.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Use sweep picking in your solos as well as every other technique. Use the technique to create interesting phrases and such. Don't just use the technique, utilize it.. if that makes sense.
You mean don't sweep because it's cool, sweep because it allows you to do things other ways of playing wouldn't?
Call me Batman.
listen to ouchies, he's got a jason becker avatar

yeah i use sweeping in improv a lot, granted im not doing like 12 nps or anything, i usually use it to allow me to link full arpeggios of more than one octave, rather than staying within an octave which what i normally do with picking, but i'd suggest knowing your roots, and knowing your CAGED positions like a mofo if you wanna do sweep improv
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
but i'd suggest knowing your roots, and knowing your CAGED positions like a mofo if you wanna do sweep improv

Knowing the theory behind chord construction will be infinitely more valuable to somebody who wants to create sweep patterns than knowing the CAGED positions.
i agree, but you have to know the basics, and CAGED is a great place to start, but theory never stops at the basics, its all about connecting CAGED, and finding the little holes between the shapes that will separate the decent from the great
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.