Hey gang, me and my band are looking to record some new stuff, and we A) are sick of using a drum machine, B) know that micing a drumkit with a computer mic from across the room sounds like ass and C) are too broke for studio time. We recorded once with an old drummer of ours and he had this little bitty mixer that you could connect like 4 mics to at a time (basically 4 track recording at the same time) and the tracks would record right onto his computer audio editing software. Well, we obviously don't have that drummer anymore, and therefore can't use his gear, so I'm wondering what type of mixer do I need for it to record the audio tracks onto the computer, and how the heck would I go about doing it?

Thanks in advance.
find a big mixer, something like 8-16 inputs, and run that with protools on the computer (im not going to promote pirating of protools.... but it is a very expensive program that can easily be downloaded). you can record the drums live with the rest of the music if you want, and every mic will be a seperate track.
if you dont want to deal with any of that, some programs have incredible sounding drum programs. ableton has some really good samples, and reason has put out a bunch of drum programming libraries. they would essentially be drum machines, but they sound completely realistic
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Well I have CoolEdit, and what about if I used 4 mics to record drums, (kick, snare, overhead, and toms) and wanted all of them to go into one track of drums?
your idea for micing drums would work, but it wouldnt sound that great. you'd have to use a bass drum mic, and three condensers (two over heads and snare). and you have to adjust the levels perfectly before hand if you want them to all be in one track
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Yeah, thats what we did before, we're not looking to have perfect sounding recordings, since were not officially 'releasing' what were gonna be recording. How would we do it though? What kind of mixer would we need?