Page 1 of 2
Hey, so. I've been playing a Stagg 50w combo for about a year now, which of course is SS, and I feel it may be time to go tube amp. I like the volume of the 50w, as I play with a band, but the distortion is like dipping a cat in water and kicking it up the ass. My budget really, is <£400 GBP. I play mostly punk/rock/metal (Guns n roses, alice cooper, greenday, ramones -to- slipknot, pantera etc.) So, I need some suggestions on an amp, and whether tube is the way to go for me.

Many thanks, Louis
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
TRAYNOR!!

YCV 50 Blue...brilliant amp for what you want it for, for the most part
You're in GB? Definitely Laney or Marshall, just check your local used gear places (forums or ebay or whatever)... Those things are so freakin cheap over there it's just unfair.

You should easily be able to score a Laney LC30/LC50 or VC50 for that dough, or maybe even a VH100R and a cab... or a JCM800/900 + cab.
Quote by CT32
TRAYNOR!!

YCV 50 Blue...brilliant amp for what you want it for, for the most part

This, or a Laney, would do nicely.
So, a laney? Any particular model in mind?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Yeah lol. Silly me. Thing is, I gotta look for first hand, as I'm getting it through the Take it away scheme. (Google it.) But a local guitar store that does it has laneys, I'll probs go have a look tomorow.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by superslash1994
Yeah lol. Silly me. Thing is, I gotta look for first hand, as I'm getting it through the Take it away scheme. (Google it.) But a local guitar store that does it has laneys, I'll probs go have a look tomorow.

I do that, it's really good. We got my brothers Jazz Bass through it as well.

I've played a GH100L, and I didn't really like it, I couldn't find a decent tone from it in 8 hours of playing it.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jun 7, 2008,
Now why the hell don't they have anything like that in Germany? I could really use 2000 quid for gear right about now ...

Sadly I don't know a lot of British online shops, so no suggestions for new gear from me
Only prob with the GH is that it's £400 just for the head, which is right at the top of my budget.

Quote by JagerSlushy
If you can stretch your budget a little you can get an orange rocker 30 for that, i just scored one onebay for 420 pounds and one went the other day for 400, they are immense, well worth looking for
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Na, don't think so. Like I said earlier, it needs to be first hand, which is around £550 for the orange.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Thermionic valve amp. They're better than tube amps.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jun 7, 2008,
Can you ewxplain please? I'm a n00b to t00bs.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Ah, lol. Made a mental note of that.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Right, think I'll be trying it out tomorow now, one question?

To crank or not to crank? I know the tone is superior, but i dunno about in the quite little shop..

Any recomendations on what I should try? ie. like, settings, i dunno, that kinda thing?

Thanks, Louis

Quote by JagerSlushy
I'm in the same position (except my choice of music is a little.. well, different.) and I think I'm going to go with a B-52 AT-112 or 212. Just depends on the budget, but I would advise you to look into them as well.
Also, forgot to ask, what's with the hi/lo inputs? Never seen those before, except on tubes, can someone explain them?

Quote by JagerSlushy
It can be confusing, but on some amps the hi if for high output pups (meaning it cuts some gain) but on some it adds gain. You just have to try both and see what the difference is.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ah, cool.

Thanks dude.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Would you recommend the VC30 or the LC-30 ?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Hmm.. Been reading reviews, and the vc-30 also seems to be less reliable?

I dunno, as I play lots of 70-80's stuff, but equally new stuff..

Quote by JagerSlushy
hmm, thank you VERY much for that take it away scheme link, i think i shall be visiting Andertons this weekend for a replacement to my Valve special
Haha, no problem.

Quote by JagerSlushy
I think either vc-30 or lc-30, but unsure, as I play lots of modern rock/metal too..

Quote by JagerSlushy
Also with teh t00b amps, I don't get the standby function? Would it be to keep the tubes..active? I dunno..

And do I need to leave the amp to heat for a few mins or something?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Sorry for tri-post, but just letting you know that I'm going to try the amp after school tomorow, and if someone could answer the above questions, thatd be great. I'll check back on in the morning.

Thanks, Louis.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Standby is to warm up the tubes at lower voltages before you turn the amp on all the way. ( I think, I might be totally wrong. Correct/flame at will.) It isn't needed really, just a nice little feature to prolong the tubes just a tiny bit.

Turn on the amp and let it warm up before you play for a few minutes.
Standby isn't really necessary. It's main ability is to allow you to turn the sound off and leave the tubes hot. I personally never touch either of my switches and just turn my amp off from a power strip that has all my pedals and stuff too. You really don't save the tubes much stress by letting them warm up first.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Standby is to warm up the tubes at lower voltages before you turn the amp on all the way. ( I think, I might be totally wrong. Correct/flame at will.) It isn't needed really, just a nice little feature to prolong the tubes just a tiny bit.

Turn on the amp and let it warm up before you play for a few minutes.

Yup, turns the heaters on, but doesn't apply voltage.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Cool, thanks dudes.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Right-io, been to the shop, they didn't have the LC series, but had the VC. They only had the vc-15 in, so i tried that with an ibanez rg50..something. Anyway, nice overdrive, quite 70's rock imo. I think for my use, I'd definatelly need a pedal (in the store I used a marhall jackhammer pedal) and produced very nouce metal sounds. The clean channel is just awesome! The 15 watt had push-buttons for the o/d and bright switch(The 30 has rockers?), and no standby, does the 30w?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Quote by superslash1994
Only prob with the GH is that it's £400 just for the head, which is right at the top of my budget.

You might want to watch Ebay. It won't be a lot cheaper there but you might find it a little cheaper. You may be able to turn your old amp into a temporary cab untill you can get the money for a real cab. For you, it would be worth it.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
You might want to watch Ebay. It won't be a lot cheaper there but you might find it a little cheaper. You may be able to turn your old amp into a temporary cab untill you can get the money for a real cab. For you, it would be worth it.

Quote by superslash1994
Thing is, I gotta look for first hand, as I'm getting it through the Take it away scheme. (Google it.) But a local guitar store that does it has laneys, I'll probs go have a look tomorow.

Quote by JagerSlushy
Could someone please answer the questions..3 posts up?

Thanks

Quote by JagerSlushy
Being a VC30 owner myself, you can get a nice dirty tone out of it with a tubescreamer. I would soundclippy if I could figure out how to record on my laptop...

Also, yes it does have a standby switch, and yes they are rocker switches.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
hmm, I really don't know. the 15w or 30? I know they sound better cranked, but i dunno if the 15 will be able to cut through enough for band practises etc? On the other hand, the 30 has rockers (PREFER) and a standby (Better?)

What do you think?

Quote by JagerSlushy
Page 1 of 2