Hi just thinking about buying a single rectifier or a dual rectifier, just wondering how loud a single rectifier will be, will it be loud enough for what I want. It needs to be god enough for small gigs 200 people at most, going to have to compete with a custom orange county drum kit, and a TSL-100 Full stack, I would be the second guitarist, playing second fiddle to the TSL. So would it be loud enough?

On a side note, has anyone used a new marshall and mesa together, would they compliment each other well? I assume they would with their individual subtleties.
Yeah, definatley loud enough.

50 tube watts is plenty.

the triple rectifier is insane.. 150.. I guess you'd want that if you want everyone in your country to hear.
ok aren't there other differences between the single and dual tho, i remember there being a slight feature difference but i cant seem to find it.
100 watts won't be that much louder than 50. You won't get the 50 loud enough for it to make any difference anyway. Buy whichever sounds best to you, I think the single and dual are different.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
50 watts tube is fvcking lethal. A friend of mine once cranked his single recto and my knees were shaking.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
50 is plenty....maybe even more than enough
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
You can get a dual rec with 2 channels also btw. But a lot of people say it sound different from the single rec. Tone is to each his own but the general consensus is that dual rec 2 channels are the best sounding, especially the revision e black faces.
Quote by zhunt1130
The single rec has 2 channels with 5 modes and the dual rec has 3 channels with 8 modes. The dual also has a "solo" control for each channel. The dual also comes with a 5 button foot switch and the single only has a 2 button one.

Here's their website if you want to look into it more.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/product_info.htm#

Um, your only right on one of those facts. The Single Rec has a solo control, and the difference between the Dual and the Single is that you also have a pair of 5U4G tubes that act as tube rectifiers. They make the amp sag more. The Dual also has Diode rectification that you can switch to.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
think i've decided on a dual, its the sound i want, getting a single would simply be a compromise and when i'm paying that much for an amp, i shouldn't be looking to compromise I should be looking for my dream amp; it might not turn out that way, but at least Id've gone for it with my first choice and I read elsewhere that the volume difference is 3dB so it's not an insane amount of difference.

Another point is i do like my cleans as well and logically there would be more headroom with the dual.
3 db, is like doubling the volume.

i`m pretty sure thats true, because when i went from a 2X12 to a 4X12 cab my amp got ALOT louder, and everyone around here says that doubling your speakers is a 3db increase.
Quote by Slayerdeath

i`m pretty sure thats true, because when i went from a 2X12 to a 4X12 cab my amp got ALOT louder, and everyone around here says that doubling your speakers is a 3db increase.

It's not doubling the volume. 3dB is considered the lowest threshold the human ear can still detect a volume difference, +10dB is what most literature cites as a "doubling" in volume to the human ear. adding twice the speaker surface area up to a point, or doubling the wattage of an amp, both yield +3dB. You would need 200W to even get a +6 dB increase from a 50W amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Slayerdeath

What? You cant even perceive 3db...
Quote by TechnicolorType
Yeah, definatley loud enough.

50 tube watts is plenty.

the triple rectifier is insane.. 150.. I guess you'd want that if you want everyone in your country to hear.

Eh it's not that loud.
Quote by Slayerdeath

Dude, don't talk about things you don't know about. 10 dB would be considered doubling. 3 is noticeable, but not huge.

Quote by kurdtkobaign
What? You cant even perceive 3db...

Errrr.... okay then..
Remember, speaker effiency also plays a big part here. Not to mention everything else that affects the loudness apart from wattage.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
im thinkin marshall 1960a cab with it, Good choice? having bought the head I only want to spend around £300 on the cab for now
Quote by Say Ocean
Errrr.... okay then..

Well...give for take. But you cant really even tell a difference in a 3db increase in volume...
Quote by RzrbldeSuitcas3
im thinkin marshall 1960a cab with it, Good choice? having bought the head I only want to spend around £300 on the cab for now

For a recto you'd want something with v30s imo
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Well...give for take. But you cant really even tell a difference in a 3db increase in volume...
When I pulled half my amp's power tubes there was a 3dB decrease, and that was definitely noticable.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The single rec will definitely be enough. Our drummer plays a custom Medicine Man Drum Kit, and our other guitarist runs a single rec with a avatar 2x12 loaded with V30s...it sounds pretty dang good
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Say Ocean
For a recto you'd want something with v30s imo

example of cabs available in UK that has these then? i say UK to remove the options of Avatars that someone always seems to mention
Quote by RzrbldeSuitcas3

On a side note, has anyone used a new marshall and mesa together, would they compliment each other well? I assume they would with their individual subtleties.

i saw a metal band last week. one guitar player was playing thru a Dual Rec, the other guitarist was using a marshall jcm900. while the jcm900 was very defined and i could hear everything the guy was playing, the tone from the Dual seemed somehow to get lost. it seemed that the marshall was more trebly?
now, this was in a small night club. i don't think the amps were mic'd. i was wearing earplugs (which i think helps to hear the music better, but...). and possibly i was just standing in the wrong place, and it might have been that the marshall was eq'd better (for the club, for my hearing, what ever).
i think if they weren't mic'ed its all about where you stand, that's been my experience.

Need to decide on a cab for my dual recto but after having listened to the v30 clips on netmusicians.org, I think they sound very poor compared to the rest, don't like the harshness of em. I really like the clip on youtube with the old blackbacks, is there anything similar to these now? Or other speakers that go well with a dual recto?
Quote by RzrbldeSuitcas3
example of cabs available in UK that has these then? i say UK to remove the options of Avatars that someone always seems to mention

Search the used market. You should be able to get something for that much easily. Look into used mesa cabs, although mesa gear is expensive there, orange, marshalls with v30s, etc. v30s with my recto sounds killer