Page 1 of 2
I've been trying to find the best way to achieve a tube amp for practicing and small jams and gigs that can be used at high gain. I play rock, blues, and metal mostly. I have an epiphone les paul classic with PAF PRO in the neck in a super distortion in the bridge. I like versatility but high gain abilities is a must . I wanna spend under 500$ so basically I can get a smaller amp like a Blackheart 5 W tube (or any low wattage tube amp) and buy a distortion pedal (tubed distortion pedal ) or I can get a combo amp WITH the built in gain i need. The laney VC-15 was interesting but a bit pricey and I'm VERY interested in the Kustom Defender but im not sure if it can do high gain?

So basically low watt tube amp with good distortion pedal or tube combo amp with the distortion already built in ? I really need some help and I thank everyone for their answers in advance.
if its metal you play mainly, i'd look at the laney LC15 too. i have the 30watt and its damn good.
blackheart handsome devil 15 watt will give u the drive control on it, plus it at a good price
Quote by prsrulz91
blackheart handsome devil 15 watt will give u the drive control on it, plus it at a good price

I second the motion.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Krank rev jr is probably the best modern high gain low wattage amp you can get period.
i got a valveking 1 12. i play it in my room and its not that loud. just have the volumes adjusted
Quote by The red Strat.
orange tiny terror and a boost pedal (mxr mc-401 ?).

it's not gonna get much better than that.

+1 tiny terrors kick ass
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by TomGates
i got a valveking 1 12. i play it in my room and its not that loud. just have the volumes adjusted

same with my amp. I just use the guitar's volume knob for adjusting it to room lvl.
Tiny terror is over 600 though unfortunately but i do believe it is one damn fine head. I just checked the Krank Rev JR and it is also quite pricey. Ill look into the laney and the Blackheart 15W but im thinking the blackheart will be lacking some serious gain?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i think the Valveking 112 for $400 would fit nicely.

Except that he was looking for a good amp.

"Ill look into the laney and the Blackheart 15W but im thinking the blackheart will be lacking some serious gain?"

Perhaps. the Blackhearts, I think, can be described as mini Plexis. It isn't high gain, but takes to pedals well.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Does anyone have any idea what kind of tubes the blackheart 15W uses and how many? they dont seem to want to let this info out:S
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Except that he was looking for a good amp.

"Ill look into the laney and the Blackheart 15W but im thinking the blackheart will be lacking some serious gain?"

Perhaps. the Blackhearts, I think, can be described as mini Plexis. It isn't high gain, but takes to pedals well.

/facepalm

Stock the VK can get up to Metallica heavy, throw in an OD you've hit metal. Save a bit and change the tubes, clarity. Again, /facepalm.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Or he could get a better amp in the first place.

Facepalm.

I didn't say he should get it. I just said he's making the VK out to seem like a bad amp when it isn't. But in his price range ($500 if i read correctly) I'd recommend a B-52 AT-112. It's a bit higher with the wattage but just consider it great headroom for metal since you asked for low wattage.
I gotta say, a Valveking (esp. with a speaker swap) is a damn good amp for the price.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
But, seriously, what's with the VK bashing acdcrocks? I thought we were friends
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
My father actually uses a VK stock and its a nice amp but i find u really need to crank it to get any good sound out of it and 50 watts is wayyyy too much to crank in most places. I like the price of the crate V series but they only come with 2 power tubes. will I be missing out on the full tube tone without the tubed pre amp?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Or he could get a better amp in the first place.

Facepalm.

+1

Quote by classicrocker01
I gotta say, a Valveking (esp. with a speaker swap) is a damn good amp for the price.

A Valveking, with a speaker swap, and new valves, which seem to be the flavour of the month, is money wasted. Like acdcrocks said you could get a better amp in the first place for that kind of money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
why is it a waste of money again?

this amp was my entry into tubeville and for $400 new i just couldn't find a better amp that was as versatile (new anyway). Is it a great amp that beats out the Classic 30, JCM or B-52? No. I doubt too many people would argue that. With speaker/tube swap and still at around $550 i still think it is a good amp at a great price.

:
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 8, 2008,
Taking the most common upgrades recommended for VK users:

Peavey Valveking: £279
Celestion Vintage 30: £50
JJ & Tungsol tubes: £45
Digitech Bad Monkey: £30

Total: £404

You could get a lot better for that price.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah, they are good for people that want new, versatile, and cheap with an OK tone stock. None of the other tube amps do metal in that range so I know why lots of people like them, but I don't because I'm not a metal kind of guy and I can always go used and save money to get better amps.
thats cool guys.

i desperately needed an HB swap on my Strat as well and that was $100 and i just couldn't wait any longer to get a tube amp and wanted something that could get some cleans as well as some really heavy sh*t.

when i first got her home i was dissapointed for a while because it sounded muddy i guess, but now that i've got the Eq'n thing down and all the other frickin knobs and switches on this thing figured out - i'm no longer doubting my decision.

my next amp (2nd tube) will prolly be a used Fender BJ or HRD or Twin or something off craigslist but it won't be to replace this one - only because i love the Fender cleans.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
my next amp (2nd tube) will prolly be a used Fender BJ or HRD or Twin or something off craigslist but it won't be to replace this one - only because i love the Fender cleans.

Used Twin FTW! I also like Fender cleans...probably why I have two 70's Twins!
Quote by psychodelicXXX
So will an amp with only 2 power tubes be lacking tube tone as it doesnt have any tubes in the pre amp?

it's an all-tube amp... not a hybrid
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
The smallest Valve King is like 50W, and the Royal isn't quite the same. I'd get a Blackheart and a Digitech Bad Monkey.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sorry pschycoxxx but this thread has been jacked enough...what are you referring too? which amp i mean?

mine has 2 power and 3 preamp tubes

I was referring to the Crate V series. They are listed as having 2 E34 power tubes but nothing in the pre amp. Does this mean it will not be an all tube amp and lack that all tube characteristic I'm looking for? I really dont want another hyprid.
OK.

I am assuming you are referring to the Crate V18 112?

Well, i felt bad that your thread got so jacked up so i have been searching for an answer. It did seem odd that there would be no preamp tubes or at least solid state preamp. The first couple of sites I went to only referred to the the 2-E34s (84s actually) you found. Then I went to Crateamps.com and was still confused until I got to the owners manual.

Here is what I found:
Preamp Tubes (3) 12AX7A
Power Tubes (2) EL84

Page 11
http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/V18-112_OM.pdf

looks like a cool little amp for $329 assuming everything i've said/found is correct. Otherwise, i am not a Crate expert. Maybe someone else can concur/interject.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=crate+V&Search.x=13&Search.y=16

Good Luck psychodelicXXX

Quote by psychodelicXXX
My father actually uses a VK stock and its a nice amp but i find u really need to crank it to get any good sound out of it and 50 watts is wayyyy too much to crank in most places.

That's pretty much why I ordered a Krank Rev Jr. By the time you do the speaker/tube swap an add in an overdrive pedal, you've practically hit the price of a new Rev Jr. and it ends up being to loud for home use anyway.
Page 1 of 2