gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
i thought about classical guitar for awhile but decided against it. Now im just your sandard old mechanical engineering major. Lots of calculus lol
i want to go =( but i highly doubt that will happen
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I guess since most schools make you do classical or jazz, how many of you actually want to do the style you're studying at school once you finish?

I mean I love jazz, it is what I want my musical focus to be for the rest of my life. But I know a lot of guitar majors that never want to touch classical or jazz again once they graduate.
i want to go for classical guitar, theory and composition seems like a very tough major haha...
Quote by Guitar_Theory

Also I guess to make this more inclusive, who here wants to go to school for music as well?

me!
I'm currently studying Electronic Music and Multimedia at my school.

I'm mostly interested in incorporating live electronics into compositions with traditional instruments. In the past three months, I've had two such pieces performed (one with violin, soprano sax and electronics, and one with guitar and electronics) and I'm hoping to write a slightly more large-scale project over the summer. I'd also like to build at least one interactive installation that people can play.

I love the concentration. Of course, since it's "electronic music" it attracts a fair number of rock and pop guys who aren't really interested in the more sophisticated aspects of the work... they just want to do something music-related before they go off to try to make it with their band. A lot of the concentrators also largely ignore the music theory courses at our school, which is really a pity. I'm trying to take as much as I can. I'd like to incorporate both the theory and electronic components by designing an "intelligent" computer performer; one that can analyze an improvisation by a live performer, and create relevant backgrounds and responses.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I want to go to college for music, then go off and make it with my band, haha. Thats if I don't try to get into politics though. And Psychodelia, thats some really interesting stuff.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

I'm attending to a Music School this fall, and I'm SO excited about it! Exactly what I wanted

I was candidating (is it called that?) for 2 schools, whereas one of em was a bit more "clean-classical" -type and the other one a bit more "relaxing-play-what-u-want-and-have-fun"-type.

I got accepted to both of them, but choosed the 2nd one, cause I just wanna have fun, hang around with nice people and most importantly: Play music all day!

Oh and btw, I got accepted on Guitar as main instrument.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Honestly I'm just curious.

Here's my info:
Hofstra University
Music Education Major - with Jazz Guitar instrument concentration
Sophomore

Also I guess to make this more inclusive, who here wants to go to school for music as well?

Graduated in 05. Music performance degree / Jazz Studies
Quote by GuitarMunky
Graduated in 05. Music performance degree / Jazz Studies

You have more balls than I do. I bailed on my Perforomance/Jazz Studies major. Granted, I bailed not cause I thought it was too hard, but I felt like I wasn't going in the direction I wanted to. I feel a lot better now going down the education route than I did on the performance route. I don't have the desire to live the performers life, and I feel like I get more joy out of teaching others and building that sort of bond.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
You have more balls than I do. I bailed on my Perforomance/Jazz Studies major. Granted, I bailed not cause I thought it was too hard, but I felt like I wasn't going in the direction I wanted to. I feel a lot better now going down the education route than I did on the performance route. I don't have the desire to live the performers life, and I feel like I get more joy out of teaching others and building that sort of bond.

cool, you made the right choice then. An education degree really makes the most sense if you want to get a job when you get your degree. I never really wanted to be a band teacher, so I chose the route that made the most sense to me at the time.

My degree did actually help me get a production job, but it was also due to networking and being prepared, and to be honest, a bit of pure luck (right place, right time).

Good luck. I hope you find success and enjoy teaching.
I'll be attending Concordia (Montreal) this fall towards a BFA in music with a jazz specialization.

Can't wait.
Jazz trumpet, Humber for a year, then going to McGill for four.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Honestly I'm just curious.

Here's my info:
Hofstra University
Music Education Major - with Jazz Guitar instrument concentration
Sophomore

This information is the same for me other than the fact that my major is in music merchandising rather than music education.
I would love too.......but my parents are helping me pay to get into college, and they refuse to help me if I want to major in music

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by GuitarMunky
cool, you made the right choice then. An education degree really makes the most sense if you want to get a job when you get your degree. I never really wanted to be a band teacher, so I chose the route that made the most sense to me at the time.

My degree did actually help me get a production job, but it was also due to networking and being prepared, and to be honest, a bit of pure luck (right place, right time).

Good luck. I hope you find success and enjoy teaching.

Yeah I never felt like I had the networking skills to make it in a "do-it-yourself" music world.
Quote by valennic
I would love too.......but my parents are helping me pay to get into college, and they refuse to help me if I want to major in music
Double major.

Moreover, law schools accept any undergraduate degree and, unlike medical schools, have no prerequesite courses. You could go into law with a music degree. Maybe you'd end up in copyright law.

I have no clue if the career interests you, but it's do-able.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Moreover, law schools accept any undergraduate degree and, unlike medical schools, have no prerequesite courses. You could go into law with a music degree.

This is exactly what I plan to do, valennic, so if you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
Quote by valennic

dude that sucks!! thats totally dumb and unfair of your parents to do that. if thats what you really want to do then make them pay for it! lol
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

I'm planning on going to school for cello - so not guitar, but it's still music.

I don't know if I want to major in performance though, that could be really stressful.
I used to, it was great, the best classes were Music Theory, Performance, and Rockschool. Rockschool was this dumb thing where you took grades and learnt technique. This thing is, we never actually learnt any technique, we were left in a room on our own so we just jammed for an hour.

Music Theory was the best by far, we had a teacher called Ian Treacy, he was the ex-drummer for Benediction (look them up) and he was a kick ass teacher and VERY funny!

I went to South Birmingham College by the way
It kind of worries me now (im a junior in high school now) and i want to do something in music and it would be great to get a degree and be doing something that i love but are careers in music that well paying? and from everywhere i read it seems like music school have very high standards and are hard to get into =/
I'd love to go to any school for music, but I'm pretty clueless as to what direction to take with it. Theory interests me a lot, and I'd love to do lessons or teach a music class or something. Anyone have a suggestion for a school/course I could look into?
Quote by Shackman10
I'm planning on going to school for cello - so not guitar, but it's still music.

I don't know if I want to major in performance though, that could be really stressful.

I've got a buddy that goes to Penn State for Cello as a Music Ed. major, he's one of the biggest rock kids I know too. He loves it.

Quote by C.C. Deville
and from everywhere i read it seems like music school have very high standards and are hard to get into =/

They are hard to get into. Moreso even now because there is a philosophy going around that "music schools" basically ****ed the music industry by turning out all these half-assed musicians with degrees that really weren't any good.
Quote by Ead
Anyone have a suggestion for a school/course I could look into?
Any major university offers a music major. Where do you live? Is "NB" Nebraska?
Quote by :-D
This is exactly what I plan to do, valennic, so if you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks.

So I can major in two different areas??? I never knew this....

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Ead
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm not familiar with Canadian universities, but my guess is that you have the same kind of thing as American "state schools" (Province Schools?????) such as The University of Texas (random uni). If you're interested in coming to the USA, most every university here has a program where you can earn a degree in music. My guess is that Canadian universites have the same thing.

I bring up Province Schools because State Schools in the USA are generally not terribly competative (Berkeley and UCLA being major exceptions). The international status may hurt you, but we're generally friendly towards out friends to the north (or south if you live in Alaska), so it probably won't be too hard.

Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has a good music program. The main university is not that hard to get into, though the music program may have a separate admissions committee.

Quote by Guitar_Theory
Yeah bouncing between majors is pretty easy these days. Even though I'm a Music Education major I'm probably going to grad school for Theory, and the two are only linked by about 4 classes you take as an undergraduate.
That's different than changing majors, though. Most people go in with a major in mind and end up switching to a related, but different field (ex. Chemical Engineering to Biochemistry). This is not so hard to do. Most people do it, so schools are prepared, and the classes you take for your first few semesters are going to be things like calculus and basic physics and chemistry (for a Chemical Engineer) which will be used by Biochemists anyway.

Getting a graduate degree is a bit different I would imagine. I don't know much about getting a graduate degree in an area different than your undergraduate degree, so I'll let someone else (or a Uni website) address this issue.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by C.C. Deville
It kind of worries me now (im a junior in high school now) and i want to do something in music and it would be great to get a degree and be doing something that i love but are careers in music that well paying? and from everywhere i read it seems like music school have very high standards and are hard to get into =/

Keep in mind you can still do something with music without a music degree. Getting a job you can count on in the music business is tough. Sure, jobs exist, but they are not easy to come by, and the degree doesn't always help as much as networking can.

Probably the most realistic option is to get an education degree and become a band teacher. if your into that sort of thing it might be worth it.

Another thing to consider is that you can get a degree in something other than music, and still pursue music on the side. A friend of mine is a brilliant musician, but does not have a music degree. He gigs all the time, and works full time at U of M making good money.

Im not saying not to pursue it. but at least consider the fact that your parents are paying for it. When I was your age, I only considered myself, and what I wanted, which is what I'm hearing from alot of the "I want to go to music school" people. Just consider how much it costs, and think about what you will do after. It may or may not be the right thing for you.
Quote by C.C. Deville

dude, if its what you want to do, you can't not at least give it a shot. you never know if you'll make it or not. just give it your all and you'll always have a chance
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Getting a graduate degree is a bit different I would imagine. I don't know much about getting a graduate degree in an area different than your undergraduate degree, so I'll let someone else (or a Uni website) address this issue.

It depends on what you want to do... I can't speak for every grad program, so I'll talk about the one I know. The graduate electronic music program at my school doesn't specifically require a music degree, just some kind of Bachelor's degree.

You do need advanced training in an art, and must submit a portfolio of your creative work (cds, scores, videos, or whatever else you might have). So, in this case, while having a music degree might not be the most important thing, having a strong body of work is important.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I didn't mean a masters in music. I meant the scenario where someone majors in music, pursues that career for a bit, wants to get a "real job" and goes back to school for an MBA.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I didn't mean a masters in music. I meant the scenario where someone majors in music, pursues that career for a bit, wants to get a "real job" and goes back to school for an MBA.

Ahh, I thought you meant the other way around.
I just want to point out in case people don't know that if you get a Music Education degree, you won't automatically end up a band teacher.

Personally I'm avoiding that job.

Lots of more upscale private schools now have guitar programs and hire guitarists to teach them, with or without ed degrees (this only applies to private schools, since public requires certification in most cases.)

I think if I end up in a high school somewhere I want to direct a school jazz band, teach theory classes and/or direct the school orchestra. Granted this is the ideal, and probably wouldn't happen for years until I can bounce around schools and actually land in a good one. I think once I finish college I'll probably end up either in like, NYC or Philadelphia for a couple years until higher end districts will hire me.
Page 1 of 2