Page 1 of 2
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-oil7-2008jun07,0,4540599.story
Sweet, I'm seriously thinking about trading my Subie in for a Prius or something. Looks like oil prices are going to go up again worldwide. Sucks for the U.S but poor Europe is already getting raped by oil prices. Apparently they predict it to be $150 a barrel by the 4th of July. Does anyone think prices will EVER come down?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Does anyone think prices will EVER come down?

No.

I mean, you can't make oil...
The.
Quote by soul_power
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-oil7-2008jun07,0,4540599.story
Sweet, I'm seriously thinking about trading my Subie in for a Prius or something. Looks like oil prices are going to go up again worldwide. Sucks for the U.S but poor Europe is already getting raped by oil prices. Apparently they predict it to be $150 a barrel by the 4th of July. Does anyone think prices will EVER come down?

No, and it shouldn't.

Any attempt to lower the price of gasoline will only exacerbate the problem of gasoline shortage in the long run.

The high prices should instead, get people to start thinking about the alternatives seriously.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Jehuty
Bicycle, bicycle.
I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike.

Yeah.

What I do. I'm not some enviromental nerd, I don't give a shit about that stuff. I just don't wanna spend my money on a car, insurance, the petrol and all that stuff.
Quote by Xiaoxi
No, and it shouldn't.

Any attempt to lower the price of gasoline will only exacerbate the problem of gasoline shortage in the long run.

The high prices should instead, get people to start thinking about the alternatives seriously.

Bingo, as harsh as this is on everyone else (food prices will go up even further next due to transportation, etc).
Quote by Sabu
What I do. I'm not some enviromental nerd, I don't give a shit about that stuff. I just don't wanna spend my money on a car, insurance, the petrol and all that stuff.

I don't have a drivers license at all, even though I've been allowed to get one for over a year now. I dunno, I don't really need it at the moment, I can go anywhere in my town by bike, or walking (anyone else love walking?), and if I need to go out of town I'll just go by public transport. Even though public transport sucks ass.

Do you have one?
the prices are ridiculous. since the oil companies say they have to charge more so that they don't lose money, yet they are breaking records for gross income each quarter consecutively then they are just bull****ting us and they should be hung in the streets.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Quote by Xiaoxi
No, and it shouldn't.

The problem I see with alternative fuel is that most of the people in this country wouldn't be able to afford it unless the government somehow came up with trillions of dollars to give people grants to by these said cars that run on said energy.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Xiaoxi
No, and it shouldn't.

The average Joe has no say whether or not alternative fuels are invested in though. It's the big multinational corporations who care more about how thick their wallets are than how they're driving the lower income families into poverty.
Quote by Jehuty
I don't have a drivers license at all, even though I've been allowed to get one for over a year now. I dunno, I don't really need it at the moment, I can go anywhere in my town by bike, or walking (anyone else love walking?), and if I need to go out of town I'll just go by public transport. Even though public transport sucks ass.

Do you have one?

Nope. Never even had a lesson or even tried to drive in my dad's or friend's car or anything. I can get everywhere I have to on bike, foot or free bus.
Most of you have no clue what your talking about. Just because you watched CNN last night doesnt mean you know everything about our resources...
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by Sabu
Nope. Never even had a lesson or even tried to drive in my dad's or friend's car or anything. I can get everywhere I have to on bike, foot or free bus.

How young/old are you though?
Its the god damn gasoline companies that are causing the problems. They are driving up costs to fill their pockets but they are dead set against investment in alternative fuel. We are gonna be completely screwed over pretty soon.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Hmm, time to use Hydrogen! xD

I saw a program where this guy brought an old Mercedes and modded it so he could put used Vegetable Oil, he doesn't pay a penny for his oil.
He gets the Vegetable Oil from resturants that have already used it xD
Quote by soul_power
The problem I see with alternative fuel is that most of the people in this country wouldn't be able to afford it unless the government somehow came up with trillions of dollars to give people grants to by these said cars that run on said energy.
I know.

But, let me just state that one of the overarching themes of economics is that people respond to incentives.

If gas prices remain affordable, or are even lowered, then people will have no reason to care about the alternatives because the threat of supply depletion won't seem immediate. However, as gas prices become more expensive and shoot up everything along with it, people start feeling the pressure. It creates a high incentive to at least become aware and urge for the implantation of alternative energy.

I think the government should raise the price of gas a few more dollars. The excess dollars should be put into a funding to start the process of converting the nation's choice of fuel. We need to subsidize both consumers and suppliers of alternative energy based transportations as well as fund the reconstruction of the infrastructures of fuel consumption. This will take many years and I think we're already late in the game. It is ridiculous that more isn't being done about this problem of scarcity and deadly dependency.

Quote by Ziggums
The average Joe has no say whether or not alternative fuels are invested in though. It's the big multinational corporations who care more about how thick their wallets are than how they're driving the lower income families into poverty.

Guess what makes up the major part of the corporations' profit? The average joe. If we don't need them, they can't drive us into poverty. We do have a say. Not as individuals, but as a market consumer. It's a case of "united we stand, divided we fall."

And you have to realize that these corporations aren't arbitrarily charging us ludicrous amounts of money for gas. They're forced to up the prices because they know the supply of petroleum grows ever scarce every day. It's basic supply and demand.

At the end of the day, no one is winning as long as we're stuck in the mentality that nothing can be done.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 7, 2008,
Well it'll help the environment a little bit.

Food prices will go waaay up because the farmers need gas for their tractors and such, so they will raise their prices so they can make some money as well.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I read this article recently. Thought it was kind of interesting, and applicable to the situation, though I really feel as if that article is just a lot of talk to make people feel better. Anyone have better insight into how accurate it may be?

I have little knowledge of the subject, but in my uneducated opinion, I doubt we'll ever see a big drop in the prices. I mean, doesn't $2.99 sound pretty good now? Four months ago that was way expensive.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jehuty
How young/old are you though?

18 and in the UK. Been eligible to drive for a year and a half.
I watch the markets and oil is long overdue for a pullback. Its only this high because of illegal trading and constant predictions that it will become more expensive. Nothing has occurred recently to warrant its increase.
Quote by Jett Diamond
I read this article recently. Thought it was kind of interesting, and applicable to the situation, though I really feel as if that article is just a lot of talk to make people feel better. Anyone have better insight into how accurate it may be?

I skimmed it and it was citing how the housing industry bounced back. However, there's a major flaw in that comparison. You can control the supply of houses. You cannot control the supply of petroleum. It's a linear downward fall and nothing can change it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'll only drive if i need to get somewhere thats far away. Otherwise i'll ride my bike or walk
Quote by Xiaoxi
I know.

But, let me just state that one of the overarching themes of economics is that people respond to incentives.

If gas prices remain affordable, or are even lowered, then people will have no reason to care about the alternatives because the threat of supply depletion won't seem immediate. However, as gas prices become more expensive and shoot up everything along with it, people start feeling the pressure. It creates a high incentive to at least become aware and urge for the implantation of alternative energy.

I think the government should raise the price of gas a few more dollars. The excess dollars should be put into a funding to start the process of converting the nation's choice of fuel. We need to subsidize both consumers and suppliers of alternative energy based transportations as well as fund the reconstruction of the infrastructures of fuel consumption. This will take many years and I think we're already late in the game. It is ridiculous that more isn't being done about this problem of scarcity and deadly dependency.

Guess what makes up the major part of the corporations' profit? The average joe. If we don't need them, they can't drive us into poverty. We do have a say. Not as individuals, but as a market consumer. It's a case of "united we stand, divided we fall."

And you have to realize that these corporations aren't arbitrarily charging us ludicrous amounts of money for gas. They're forced to up the prices because they know the supply of petroleum grows ever scarce every day. It's basic supply and demand.

At the end of the day, no one is winning as long as we're stuck in the mentality that nothing can be done.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

I can't believe people are still ignoring this problem. It speaks volumes about our mentality as a society. We should have been halfway there by now, but most people aren't willing to acknowledge the problem, so we haven't even started. IT SHOULD NOT be necessary to raise gas prices high and higher until people finally decide to take this seriously. People should have known about this. There were studies being conducted on Peak Oil over 20 years ago but the majority of people still have no idea what it means.

The whole thing really disgusts me. To think that people are so quick to dismiss one of the biggest problems we've faced - I'm willing to call it the biggest problem we've faced as a nation yet. But of course it will affect more than just our nation.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jun 7, 2008,
i'm moving somewhere i dont need a ****ing car.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by Lamrick21
Most of you have no clue what your talking about. Just because you watched CNN last night doesnt mean you know everything about our resources...

Oh OK then Mr Darling, what do you have to say on the topic? It's called a debate; maybe you could try joining in instead of disregarding people's opinions as negligible without any foundation for saying so.

Xiaoxi is on the ball in this thread.
What I really dont understand is why the U.S. doesnt just tap the vast oil resources it already has. I mean, we have enough oil in Colorado to provide for the U.S. for 100 years, and yet we're too damn stupid to utilize it. Why dont we just use the oil already here in the U.S.??

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
What I really dont understand is why the U.S. doesnt just tap the vast oil resources it already has. I mean, we have enough oil in Colorado to provide for the U.S. for 100 years, and yet we're too damn stupid to utilize it. Why dont we just use the oil already here in the U.S.??

1 word:
enviornmentalists.
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
Quote by nasadm
1 word:
retards.

fixed
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
....It actually went 11$ yesterday because my dad works in transporting oil and he watches the prices very closely. It smashed the old record as well....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
First of all I very much doubt that Colorado is a practical option. And global warming is proven to exist now, its not a theory. Oil combustion makes it worse. We need to get off of oil.

God, people are so afraid of change.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
First of all I very much doubt that Colorado is a practical option. And global warming is proven to exist now, its not a theory. Oil combustion makes it worse. We need to get off of oil.

when did this happen? how was it proven?
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

I was just stating that Colorado was a VIABLE option, not neccesarily a PRACTICAL option. I seriously doubt the people of Colorado want to be relocated for an oil drilling procedure.

Yes, its been proven for some time now, its just that you have the idiots higher up unwilling to believe it because they're afraid its going to crash the economy.

Yes, what we need is to get the hydrogen fuel cell technology off the floor and moving, that alone has an immense amount of potential.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Xiaoxi already thoroughly owned this thread and said everything I was going to, except this.

For this reason, motorcycles rock.
Page 1 of 2