hi,

ive never played guitar before. but im going to be buying one soon and start learning to play over the summer. I've narrowed my choices down to 2.

1- my friend offered to sell me his yamaha EG112 BL, amp, case, qwik tune and picks all for $250.

2- I pay some more money and get a strat pack.

what should i do? I dont want to pay loads of money, but i still want something decent.
If you live around a Guitar Center, go there. They have some good starter packs. other than that, go with your friends deal. and DO NOT BUY A GUITAR FROM WALMART!

almost forgot. You can just buy a guitar and amp seperatly. Picks are dirt cheap and a good strap is only $20 (when I say good I mean AWSOME!). You'd
get better quality if you buy stuff individualy.
Option one.

You will not regret it! Just make sure the amp isn't a total piece of crap.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Quote by FretboardToAsh
yamaha's are generally better than some strat pack junked together

what he said....but play your friends, and then play a squier at your local music store. see which feels better. But dont play it on some awesome amp and think its gonna sound the same through the 15 watt p.o.s they give you in the pack
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Are you kiddin me? Yamahas suck balls. I have a better idea. Get a small Roland amp, all of which include some nice effects and several different distortion channels plus clean, and a used Strat or other type of Fender. (Key word bein used; you usually get better deals that way.) If you decide to buy somethin at your local guitar shop (do NOT buy your first guitar online), then bring a friend long who knows a lot bout guitars. As in he knows at least somethin bout not jus guitars he's owned, but all the basics of other guitars.
if you like the feel of your friends guitar do it, but only decide after youve played a few other guitars
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
i say go to a guitar center or something and get a squier. theyre cheap and it would better than a yamaha and the strat pack. i had a squier for my first guitar and it was great. but it all depends on your price range
Quote by Metallist65
Are you kiddin me? Yamahas suck balls. I have a better idea. Get a small Roland amp, all of which include some nice effects and several different distortion channels plus clean, and a used Strat or other type of Fender. (Key word bein used; you usually get better deals that way.) If you decide to buy somethin at your local guitar shop (do NOT buy your first guitar online), then bring a friend long who knows a lot bout guitars. As in he knows at least somethin bout not jus guitars he's owned, but all the basics of other guitars.

+1 on the amp. as for the guitar i recommend looking at brands depending on the genres, that you are going to play. for example if youre into metal, look at esp,ibanez,dean,jackson, though ibanez's are better in that price range. if youre into more classic stuff look at fenders.
Yamaha are freakin AMAZING beginner guitars, although i don't personally own one, i have a MIM strat which i think you should check out, or even Squier
/CENTER]
Thanks a lot for all the comments. The style I want to play is classic(60's-70's) rock.

I think ill get my friends yamaha, but only after going to the local guitar store.