Me and my Basses dont know much about bass amps, how many watts do you need to keep up with a 200w electric guitar amp.

Also we dont know crap like I said, what is a good amp that is for Metal like Slayer, Pantera, and Metallica sounds that is around $300-$600 u.s. dollars! Thanks
about 400W to be heard apparantly. you can cope with 200W aswell but you won't be as pronounced, as guitars are invariably louder because they're trebly.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
im running a 150 watt peavey with my guitarists 120 watt crate, i outpower him astronomically...ive gotta turn it down sooooo far, im guessing a 150 watt will do, cuz for basss ur only running background ur not forfront like guitars
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
I got a Randall RX120DHS that kicks out 200w and my cousin that plays bass had a tiny amp that just **** the bed and he is looking for a bigger one now, any recomendations for a Metal bass amp?
do consider that your sound is generally picked up by a microphone at a serious gig.But if you are looking for playing with your own amplification system,than i dont know how to answer your question.
Ive been looking and wondering how much time do i need in order to get money for something like this : http://www.guitar.co.uk/fender/267-fender_bassman_150_combo_bass_amplifier

and take a look at this one http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/bass/1368-hartke_410tp_bass_cabinet
Last edited by szekelymihai at Jun 7, 2008,
I highly think he will not want that Fender Bassman, he hates all things Fender and Im not a big fan of them also.

What about Behringer or Gallien-Krueger Bass amps?
I ideally, you want three or four times the wattage of the guitarist.

Your looking at a stack. I really dont know too much about them. So I will let the regulars advise you.
Gallien Krueger is good for metal.
It can get a good growl without becoming too muddy
Whats wrong with Behringer amps, I see some good and alot bad reviews of them, do people just say stay away from them because that is what they read and then they want to sound smart and say that, so what is wrong with them?

Also what about Hartke amps? (Someone that has used one please respond!)
REad the FAQ if you want to know about Behringer.

And a 200W guitar amp? Holy hell. I would suggest at least 600W, which means you are going to need more money.

And metal can have nearly any tone work in it, so long as there is no obvious flaw. Lower end GK isn't great (their backline, goldline and combos) and behringer is foul. I hear mixed responses on Hartke. I play through one for a short while and it was very meh. Some people sing their praises and other hate them.

EDIT - and although I would notrecommend a Fender Bassman, he is a fool for hating Fender. They are the giants in the bass world for a reason, and that is that they make very good stuff. A J or P bass can fit into absolutely any situation.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ive heard that a bassist needs 4 times the wattage of the guitar amp. This is somewhat subjective due to tube amps being louder than solid state amps but its still a good rule none the less.
200W? Is this some POS solid-state guitar amp or is it some huge tube head?
Tell your guitarist to turn down unless he's headlining Glastonbury with no PA system, then get a 300w. Ashdown is a good choice, the Mag series. Shop around though, see if you can find something used.
Dont get behringer, my school got one two months ago, it broke down before it even arrived!!!
Ashdown sounds great, you get a really nice heavey tone from them. Unless you're playing some huge venue, 300W should be enough.
Quote by Froggy McHop
Tell your guitarist to turn down unless he's headlining Glastonbury with no PA system, then get a 300w. Ashdown is a good choice, the Mag series. Shop around though, see if you can find something used.

The MAG only comes with 180W out the box. You need an extension cab to get the full 300W.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm pushing 150 watts against my guitar players 120 watts, and so far I've been able to keep up with out cranking my amp up all the way. I'm using a Hartke 2500 head with a Hartke 115TP cab.
Quote by trammell84
I'm pushing 150 watts against my guitar players 120 watts, and so far I've been able to keep up with out cranking my amp up all the way. I'm using a Hartke 2500 head with a Hartke 115TP cab.

Isn't that a 250W head?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you're talking to your basses, you need some help.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Yes it is a 250 watt head but with the ohm rating of the cab it can only handle 150 watts.