This is going to sound stupid, I just recently picked up a Line 6 POD 2.0, (Hopefully I'm at the right forum this time, haha) from someone and I'm just curious on how to get started with direct recording, (i.e. what cables are necessary, hooking it up properly to a macbook, using garage band, settings, etc.) I didn't really get a lot of the gritty details.

Any help, (or maybe a link I didn't see on the forums,) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
by the looks of it you'd need an interface to plug into since it doesn't seem the 2.0 has a usb capability.. (could be wrong)

depending on what else you're doing.. the type of interface you need is another question.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The 2.0 does not have USB capability. It has:

Left output
Right output
MIDI in
MIDI out

The mac simply has a headphone jack and a line out, (I think? this is all relatively new to me) jack
I think that computer has a line in, not a line out but I could be wrong.

To get the audio into your laptop while keeping the quality you'll want an audio interface.
Pick one thats best for you:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=fbfadd0fe433a3a8a4c9a84b02841fac
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 8, 2008,
Headphone = line out. Just plug the Pod to the upper port (that's usual for laptops) and make sure your software's prepped. The sound quality will suffer, but it should be good enough for casual use.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Headphone = line out. Just plug the Pod to the upper port (that's usual for laptops) and make sure your software's prepped. The sound quality will suffer, but it should be good enough for casual use.

And I need the two quarter inch mono plugs > 1/8" stereo plug cable to do this, yea?
you'd use one of these

just use a 1/4" adapter to plug into the pod.

from the pods headphone jack to the line in on your laptop/soundcard

you could monitor it thru the headphone out on the soundcard as well.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by darienakagi
And I need the two quarter inch mono plugs > 1/8" stereo plug cable to do this, yea?

Well, you'd probably be best served listening through the Pod output while recording so there's no latency...so a Y cable like this to the output of the Pod + a 1/4 (aka TRS) to 1/8 cable from that to the line-in and your headphones and an adapter to the Y will do the trick. You can move your headphones to the laptop output to check the final product.

So POD - Y cable - 1. 1/4-1/8 to line in, 2. headphones

Your Pod does have stereo output though...if you plan on making use of those features, then you'll need a different set of stuff.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101