Im goin to start doing alot of scalework when i practise and was wondering what shouls i do? Jus playing different scales up and down doesnt seem like much.. i was goin to practise slapping all the scales aswell, good idea?
metronome and scales = pawn.

Scales would do good up and down the neck with a metronome,but you also might want to learn the Whole Step Half Step patterns of each scale your playing and how it is made.
sure thats a good idea. also play em in eighth notes/sixteenth/triplets etc.
and practice ascending/descending in different patterns like play the 1st note then the 3rd then the 2nd then the 4th and so on.
EDIT: memorize the notes that your playing(if you dont already know them)...it will help later.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
learn solos.. so you have something to relate to... you wont get anything from just learning where notes are. learn bass-lines
Thanks guys

Quote by Lamrick21
also play em in eighth notes/sixteenth/triplets

Yeah im sounding like a noob but do you want to explain those?
Quote by pepsi1187
learn solos.. so you have something to relate to... you wont get anything from just learning where notes are. learn bass-lines

What? What the hell are you talking about? Of course you need to know where notes are. Please tell me I'm just misinterpreting your post.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Kev_ Bass Funk
Thanks guys

Yeah im sounding like a noob but do you want to explain those?

play them both fast and slow.
good luck!
also, learn the blues scale asap! best jamming scale, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There are 3 basic ways I practice scales.
1.Horizantally
2.Vertically
3.Not so much Diagonally but it comprises of 1 and 2

1---Horizantally
First I horizantally practice the modes
For This example ill use the Major/Minor scale

(0) x x x x x x
(1) x
(2) x x x x x
(3) x x x x
(4) x x
Aeolian
Ill practice this starting on the open straing 3 times,
Then i move on to the next and so on so forworth.
Here http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=+0&scch=E&scchnam=Ionian&get2=Get&choice=1
Use This to look up scales and modes and such.
Aeolian, Dorian, Ionian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, and Locrian are must learns as they are the major/minor scale.
To me the diminished scale is the "fastest" scale being that it has 8 notes (its an octatonic) and the notes are full step, half step, full, half, full, half ....... you get the pattern i hope.

2---Vertically
Then on each string I practice moving up and down the scale from open to 12th fret and then back from 12th to open.
Ill do this around untill i get 5 times in a row perfect.
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[-0-2-4-2-4-5-4-5-7-5-7-9-7-9-11-9-11-12---12-11-9-11-9-7-9-7-5-7-5-4-5-4-2-4-2-0-]
You get the idea from this ^^^ im hoping.

3---Not sure what to name it
Ok and lastly i use this method to make sure i have theall the scales down with eachother. This will be using E natural (pure) minor in this example.
[------------------------------------0-2-3---------------------------------2-3-5-]
[-----------------------------0-1-3------------------------------------3-5--------]
[----------------------0-2-4------------------------------------2-4-5------------]
[---------------0-2-4------------------------------------2-4-5-------------------]
[--------0-2-3------------------------------------2-3-5--------------------------]
[-0-2-3------------------------------------2-3-5---------------------------------]
And i keep going thought the different modes in order up the fretboard and go to this...
[-3-2-0- ----------------------------------5-3-2------------------------------------]
[--------3-1-0------------------------------------5-3--------------------------------]
[---------------4-2-0----------------------------------5-4-2------------------------]
[----------------------4-2-0----------------------------------5-4-2-----------------]
[-----------------------------3-2-0----------------------------------5-3-2----------]
[------------------------------------3-2-0----------------------------------5-3-2---]
And you get the idea im thinking.

Im hoping this helpied at all

EDIT : For some reason my Aeolian decided to not work right
heres a correction
X_X_X_X_X_X 0
________X__ 1
X_X_X_X___X 2
X_X_____X_X 3
____X_X____ 4
Last edited by Deffmetal666 at Jun 7, 2008,
Do two octave scales.
Do patterns, example:
A B C - B C D - C D E - D E F and so on.
Or: A C D - B D E - C E F and so on.
(Both up and down)
Play them very very slowly.
Play them with different rythms' syncopated, with tiplets, all you can think of.

There's alot you can do.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Hergiswi
What? What the hell are you talking about? Of course you need to know where notes are. Please tell me I'm just misinterpreting your post.

yeah it helps to know where notes are.. but if you have no idea how to apply that knowledge creatively then what.

one my friends knows can recite what notes are in E minor, but never learned a bass solo or anything like that, and as a result, he cant play a solo or improvise to save his life, because he has nothing to relate that too. and he has weak dexterity on top of that. (plays pretty slow)

my other friend spent his first three years of bass learning flea solos note for note without a clue of scales, then after i taught him how to understand scales, he can improvise better, he can control dynamics better, he can play faster, etc

does that better make sense
Quote by pepsi1187
yeah it helps to know where notes are.. but if you have no idea how to apply that knowledge creatively then what.

one my friends knows can recite what notes are in E minor, but never learned a bass solo or anything like that, and as a result, he cant play a solo or improvise to save his life, because he has nothing to relate that too. and he has weak dexterity on top of that. (plays pretty slow)

my other friend spent his first three years of bass learning flea solos note for note without a clue of scales, then after i taught him how to understand scales, he can improvise better, he can control dynamics better, he can play faster, etc

does that better make sense

What I hear from this- friend 1 has no imagination, and needs to learn to play faster with stronger technique, because no matter what scales he knows, he just can't speed up. he also needs to learn some application for improvised basslines. tell him to just play a scale out of order and he should be fine, if still uncreative.

Friend 2 has a good ear, and knows how to play fast, and he wasn't able to improvise well- UNTIL HE LEARNED SCALES.

tell friend 1 to work on playing a little more, and friend 2 to listen to some Primus, Jaco, and Wooten.

so you proved your point with an idiot and a genius. unfair.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
What I hear from this- friend 1 has no imagination, and needs to learn to play faster with stronger technique, because no matter what scales he knows, he just can't speed up. he also needs to learn some application for improvised basslines. tell him to just play a scale out of order and he should be fine, if still uncreative.

Friend 2 has a good ear, and knows how to play fast, and he wasn't able to improvise well- UNTIL HE LEARNED SCALES.

tell friend 1 to work on playing a little more, and friend 2 to listen to some Primus, Jaco, and Wooten.

so you proved your point with an idiot and a genius. unfair.

lol my point was that the thread starter wasnt getting off on just playing scales up and down the fret board, and that if he learned some solos or **** like that he might get some imagination.