OK, let me explain first. I bought this pickup from a guy at basically a yard sale, and he says it's a dimarzio super distortion, it's pretty beat up, and black and doesn't have those adjustable pole pieces, but it's got dimarzio made in USA on the back of it.

so I have an EMG HZ in my jackson JSX 94 right now, and I'm wondering if the "Super distortion" if it is actually a super distortion would be a better choice for metal (all types, from slayerto forbidden to sabbath)
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
If it really is a Super Distortion and if it works as good as it did when it was new then yes I'd definitely take it over an HZ but judging by your description you might have to swap it in and see for yourself, it may be really messed up or not even a real Super Distortion.

You can always go back to the HZ....
yea i guess so, but do pickups really like wear out? when they get old? i mean its not totally beat to ****, just kinda old you know, wear n tear it looks like well, functional at least

EDIT; is there a way to make the leads longer, they look a little short but may work.

EDIT again: do people really have no opinion on this pickup selection?, why is there only one other post?

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Last edited by strat212 at Jun 7, 2008,
it's not a question, just a preference, but thanks for the FREE bump!

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Quote by strat212
OK, let me explain first. I bought this pickup from a guy at basically a yard sale, and he says it's a dimarzio super distortion, it's pretty beat up, and black and doesn't have those adjustable pole pieces, but it's got dimarzio made in USA on the back of it.

so I have an EMG HZ in my jackson JSX 94 right now, and I'm wondering if the "Super distortion" if it is actually a super distortion would be a better choice for metal (all types, from slayerto forbidden to sabbath)

How's about that, you can call it Rodney King...

Pickups don't really wear out, they can lose a little bit of magnet strength after a few decades, but I doubt that's going to be an issue with something as powerful as a Super. It's a much better pickup than an EMG HZ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a Super Distortion on one of my guitars and really like it. It should have DiMarzio DP100 stamped somewhere on the back and have the adjustable hex-keyed pole pieces.
I had a Super1 in my ESP M-1 before I replaced it with the super3. It had no hex poles and only one coil had adjustable poles and they were flathead types. It wasnt stamped except for the Dimarzio logo but it was definatly a Super as the guys at ESP sent me a full spec when I sent the serial and asked for it(I got the guitar in a pawn shop so was curious)

Dimarzio provided a lot of companies with pickups in the 80s so its conceivable that yours is indeed a Super1.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by uRizen
I have a Super Distortion on one of my guitars and really like it. It should have DiMarzio DP100 stamped somewhere on the back and have the adjustable hex-keyed pole pieces.

see, this is what's confusing me, I said before in the original post that it DOESN'T have hex pole pieces, and, I'm adding now that iT DOESN'T have dp100 stamped on it. So the case is building that it may not be a super distortion, but it DOES have dimarzio made in usa on the back, so I'm thinking it's a dimarzio, but I don't know their pickups at all, so I have no idea what to guess it maybe, because to me it's just a black uncovered pickup with dimarzio on the back of it.

to halikus: mine doesn't have any adjustable things on the poles at all, it's totally flat at the top, just the tops of the poles are visible, but they do not raise above the level of the plastic.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist