Page 1 of 2
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Products/LesPaul/Traditional/

350 dollars cheaper than a LP standard, and with better pickups than the standard.
seems like a sweet deal to me, but of course all this doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a great guitar. but i sure hope so !

gibson might have realized that if they start pricing their guitars better, they might actually sell more guitars.

discuss !
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jun 7, 2008,
thats still well over 3000
and way out of most peoples price ranges
gibson=epic fail
That will probably appeal to the minority of guitarists who spend $3000 on a guitar. All three of you.
Quote by aedmiston
thats still well over 3000
and way out of most peoples price ranges
gibson=epic fail

umm that's the list price, it will actually go for considerably less than that in stores, Standards don't even cost that much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
umm that's the list price, it will actually go for considerably less than that in stores.

even still, itll be well over 1500
Quote by aedmiston

yeah it's selling for $2,200, but for something high quality like that what do you expect?

Last.fm
Quote by aedmiston

Given that the Standard goes for $2100 and the Classic goes for $1800, I'd say this will be quite a deal.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
in my GC newsletter it has the Standard marked at i believe $1999.99 after this $530 price drop.
-Gear-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 60/81
Orange Tiny Terror
Gibson Hawk
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah it's selling for $2,200, but for something high quality like that what do you expect?

i can pick up a MIA fat strat at my local store for 850
even without the amazing deals i can get at that place, the strats are just as good(talking build, not personal preference) for about half the price of an LP
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

$2,200 gets you a fully customizable Carvin, with more options than you can shake your wang at.
It looks nice...I would so wish one of those...
but 2.200$ for a guitar that I can get even better for 1500...
I get 100% handmade with everything I want for 1800.
Actually my signature guitar for 1800...kinda good.
so I say...NO to Gibson xD
I wouldn't mind an epiphone but really...no gibson for me.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I just love how Fender can sell their flagship guitars for a grand, and I'll take a strat over a Les any day of the week.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
any time you buy a gibson you're just buying the Gibson name, the epiphone elitists are supposed to be just as good as any gibson for only around $1000, but i doubt theres any noticable difference in sound from a middle range epi to a gibson
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Still overpriced as ****
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Quote by Dave Gilmour
I just love how Fender can sell their flagship guitars for a grand, and I'll take a strat over a Les any day of the week.

quoted for truth
Quote by Dave Gilmour

Fenders aren't all that cheap either. $400 will get you a Mexican made Standard Tele or Strat. Or...you could get a two-pickup Gibson Melody Maker, which is a better all-around, made in USA guitar.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
as if gibson would ever lower the prices of their guitars... you get what you pay for... and if you want the quality of a gibson... then you must pay for that quality.

if you have a full time job, then eventually you will be able to afford one, and you will love it all the more because you saved up. it wouldnt take long to save up for one with a full time job.

get off your lazy asses playing videogames in your bedroom in your moms house and get yourself a job so you can pay your way in the world instead of going to sign on to collect my tax money!
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Santos Martinez SM-650 Classical
Marshall AVT 50 Valvestate 2000
Line 6 Pod XT
I think all guitars are overpriced!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Fenders aren't all that cheap either. $400 will get you a Mexican made Standard Tele or Strat. Or...you could get a two-pickup Gibson Melody Maker, which is a better all-around, made in USA guitar.

The Gibson Melody Maker is a much lower quality guitar than the MiM Strat's and Tele's. I don't know what your logic is there. Just because it's MiA doesn't mean that it's better than MiM.

Just try a Melody Maker next to the MiM guitars and try and tell that line again.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
The Gibson Melody Maker is a much lower quality guitar than the MiM Strat's and Tele's. I don't know what your logic is there. Just because it's MiA doesn't mean that it's better than MiM.

Just try a Melody Maker next to the MiM guitars and try and tell that line again.

+1
Quote by s6k
as if gibson would ever lower the prices of their guitars... you get what you pay for... and if you want the quality of a gibson... then you must pay for that quality.

if you have a full time job, then eventually you will be able to afford one, and you will love it all the more because you saved up. it wouldnt take long to save up for one with a full time job.

get off your lazy asses playing videogames in your bedroom in your moms house and get yourself a job so you can pay your way in the world instead of going to sign on to collect my tax money!

For those of us who pay our own bills, support wives and children, and don't live with mommy and daddy, coming up with over 2 grand for a non-necessary luxury item is quite a challenge.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by black-sabbath
I think all guitars are overpriced!

you should see how much high quality brass and orchestra instruments cost...

Guitars are dirt cheap compared to most other instruments.

Quote by CutlassSupreme
For those of us who pay our own bills, support wives and children, and don't live with mommy and daddy, coming up with over 2 grand for a non-necessary luxury item is quite a challenge.

It's not really a luxury item if you play out a lot even only on a semi-pro level.

Last.fm
Quote by Kurapica

I have tried them both. My consensus was that the Melody Maker had a better tone, and I happened to like the neck better. Of course the neck is just personal preference.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Quote by CutlassSupreme

It's not really a luxury item if you play out a lot even only on a semi-pro level.

$2000+ electric guitars aren't necessary at any performance level IMO. Past a certain price point, they just become a luxury item.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
$2000+ electric guitars aren't necessary at any performance level IMO. Past a certain price point, they just become a luxury item.

From my experience nothing cheaper does the LP tone and feel as well as the LP standard, so if you wan;t that sound and feel, then yes it is necessary, that and you can pick one up used for $1200-$1500.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you should see how much high quality brass and orchestra instruments cost...

Guitars are dirt cheap compared to most other instruments.

+1
you dont need to spend 2 grand on a guitar. a les paul you can pick up for 1 grand and a strat you can get for 650 - 700 quid

it isnt hard to afford one, even paying your own bills and supporting a family. unless you have a crappy job or your spouse doesnt work, in which case, you either seek out a good quality second hand guitar, which isnt too hard to find, or just be stuck with a squire starter pack for the rest of your days.
-------
Gear:
-------

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Washburn D-10 Acoustic
Santos Martinez SM-650 Classical
Marshall AVT 50 Valvestate 2000
Line 6 Pod XT
Still overpriced, and I have played MANY Gibsons. I mean come on. Despite being a big fender fan, I could always go to Carvin at that price range and get a custom California Model. I think Fender is a tad pricey sometimes, but when I compare them to Gibson's, PRS', ESP's, guitars... I feel MUCH better about wanted my American Telecaster.

Face it, ALL guitars are overpriced now. We just tend to pick on Marshall, Gibson, and PRS because they took it WAY too far. I PROMISE you all, I will NEVER buy a PRS. No matter what. Even if they were the last guitar company ever. I'll learn the mandolin. Gibson & Marshall I tend not to dream about, because I think they're just unfairly priced. But if someone has an old JCM800 or a 57 LP Black Beauty at a good price, they are mine.

Well my rant is over.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Personnaly, I won't spend more than 2000$ on a guitar. You can get same/better quality than Gibsons for a thousand less, even more.
why do i always think of gibson as older people guitars, or rich folk who have no limit. but i real small minority.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Quote by s6k

im 16 but thats kinda true. ive been playing guitar for 2 and a bit years now, i still have my epiphone les paul special ll. its my main guitar, its the cheapest epi phone les paul. It has the guts of a guitar 3 times the price. Definately fender are great that they can deal better prices but gibson are just gibson. They are awesome, quality, sound, HERITAGE. Id love a gibson custom.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
These new Les Pauls actually look pretty cool. It's probably just like a Les Paul Standard, but with a slightly different flametop, with a '50s neck (Although you can get the LP STD in a 50s neck too), different pickups, and Speed Knobs.

I think it's just basicly a regular USA Standard, just with a few different things, and in my opinion, a better looking flametop, but that's just me.

I wouldn't buy it though, the only Gibson that I'll spend more than $2000+ on is a Custom Shop.
Hence why I love Fenders, MIM Strats and Teles are ace.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Holy Fudge Pockets that's expensive!
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
That's still over priced and Gibson are still overrated.

/Moepinion.
Signatures are overrated.
Page 1 of 2