I am a guitarist making a switch to bass. I play in a newly formed band and we have a guy who will fit in as a guitarist better than will I. I am short on cash and have a nice large marshall bass half stack that I am borrowing for someone to play through. I have a $300 limit and I am looking mainly at the squier line as they seem to be a good bang for your buck. I am mainly considering the VM TB P-Bass and the VM jazz bass. They are the same price and both are available at my local store. I am wondering which will be more versatile for such styles as jazz, blues, funk, and alternative rock (think bands such as cream, RHCP, strokes, sublime, etc.) Any help is appreciated.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
Flea plays a Jazz bass if that helps.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
P-bass are great and good value for money - not sure how much you can get one for over in teh states, in the UK I think they are more than 150 quid (300$)
Both would work well. The Jazz would be more versatile. There both pretty good, so what your personal preference
on musiciansfriend, the standard jbasses are $250, the vms are $280. if you have a little bit more money, DEFINATELY spend it.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
Quote by m30wc0w
Flea plays a Jazz bass if that helps.

#1 Flea is nothing special. Big fish-small pond syndrome.
#2 Flea plays a modulus right now. He used a jazz in the recording of SA but he said the live sound didn't cut it.

TS If you want versatility get the Jazz.
Quote by watchingmefall
#2 Flea plays a modulus right now. He used a jazz in the recording of SA but he said the live sound didn't cut it.

I thought he switched back to Stingrays?
Quote by Captain Insano
I thought he switched back to Stingrays?

I thought he played Modulus
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by watchingmefall

You're right, the only reason I recommended him get a J-Bass is because Flea is is an esteemed bassist and not because he mentioned that he likes RHCP.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
You should get the Jazz bass. I personally have the Squier TB Precision bass and, because of the humbucker that's right against the neck, it's really muddy. Vintage Modified Squiers are also built close if not equal to MIM's. My Squier feels almost as well built as my MIM J bass. It, the TB Precision Bass, has the same pickup as the SG Basses and they're well-known for being really muddy. I can get a million different tones out of my Jazz bass so I'd recommend you get one of those. The VM 70's Jazz Bass is really good
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Will the VM 70's J-bass be better suited for slapping and also be more versatile? I am looking for versatility as we plan to not limit ourselves on the music we play.
FOR SALE:

the jazz is going to be more versatile
but try the Precision too, its has an awesome tone IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i play tons of rhcp, and make my own funk-rock-metal. i play blues too. I bought the 70s modifed jazz bass, perfect bass, great slap and everything. $280

also. flea uses a fender jazz bass, music man, and a modulus
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Jun 8, 2008,
about the flea thing
for the last album he used a jbass
but he used music man and modulus for earliers recordings
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Well I will probably pursue the j bass idea then. I will go try it out at the store one more time before making my decision. Thanks for the help guys!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

The bassist from The Strokes uses a J too. Since you like em.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Thanks for the info. I think that is the direction I will go.
FOR SALE:

Fleas NOT the God of bass!!!!!

so stop talking about him!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I don't know that anyone said he was the God of bass. I simply referred to him because I like his playing style and like RHCP. He in no way the only bassist I like and neither is his style. Sometimes I wonder why people on these boards get just as much a hard on for being adamant that a certain musician isn't all he/she is hyped up to be almost more so than those who praise his/her accomplishments (i.e. Hendrix over in elec guitar). When its all said and done, it comes down to personal preference and stylistic leanings. Chill out.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

I know, I know. Its just cause everyone mentions him all the time. But personally I think the J-bass looks better and would probably sound better for what your doing, but in the end its all down to personal preference. That VM TB looks pretty nice as well... If I were you well, I'd try both out as much as you can and then pick the one that feels more... You and fits better with your styles.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Alright thanks! The only problem is that I come from a strictly guitar background so I am very unsure on what to look for like I would be with guitar. The last time I was in the store, I mainly checked to make sure there was no fret buzz on any of the frets and that everything sounded good to me. I like the look of the TB better as I really hate how the fret board has the black block inlays on the 70's J Bass and the black surround on the fretboard. On the other hand, I like how it uses a maple fretboard.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Hey I own a Squier Vintage Mod 70's Jazz bass and they are very good. I would say one of the best basses you can buy for under $300! I highly recommended it and it is great for your style of music.
I am a proud player of a Squier VM Jazz. The Jazz will do thee no wrong. The P is good, but IMO made of inferior body wood. I'm most definitely a P fan, but the VM Jazz is a vastly superior bass and if you choose that, you will be glad of it both immerdiately and later.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
I am a proud player of a Squier VM Jazz. The Jazz will do thee no wrong. The P is good, but IMO made of inferior body wood. I'm most definitely a P fan, but the VM Jazz is a vastly superior bass and if you choose that, you will be glad of it both immerdiately and later.

This. Ben will disagree, but Agathis isn't that good. Or very good. The VM Jazz Bass has good woods, so could be used as a long term bass.

Although I just realized its kinda odd that people want Fenders that look like the CBS era Fenders that were fairly crappy.
I got a used ibanez, tiny amp, and multi fx off craigslist for $140. craigslist kicks ass!
Man, I cant find a VM Squier. Any feedback on the Standard or the California series?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*