So after seeing all these post's about making them, im feeling pretty cocky and inclined on making one. Although the wood for the body isnt the best type (2x6's I found in my garage that I just got done glueing!) I think it'l be awesome, heres a rough idea of what the bodys gonna look like.

sorry about this oversized ass pic

The neck im not completely sure on how im gonna do it, as soon as I get a little more info on building it and am sure of what im doing, I do know that I wanna make the headstock shaped as the chevy bow-tie

pics of initial progress should probably be up tonight
Chevy Bowtie? You want to take it to that level of redneck?

But yeah, I've been reading through this forum too, and I'm getting inspired to make my own guitar now. But I'm a total noob. It may be at least a year before I actually do it. But let us know how it goes. Where do you get the parts from and other stuff. I think you should sub out the Chevy symbol for some kind of Confederate flag design. Good luck!

And if you get the wood from a special guitar supplier, does it come with instructions on how to do everything? Electronics and all that?
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
Quote by Third3ye
Chevy Bowtie? You want to take it to that level of redneck?

But yeah, I've been reading through this forum too, and I'm getting inspired to make my own guitar now. But I'm a total noob. It may be at least a year before I actually do it. But let us know how it goes. Where do you get the parts from and other stuff. I think you should sub out the Chevy symbol for some kind of Confederate flag design. Good luck!

And if you get the wood from a special guitar supplier, does it come with instructions on how to do everything? Electronics and all that?

If you want to try your hand at building a guitar but not know how to do it try getting a build your own guitar package, saga seem to be the dominant brand. They send you all the pieces you need with instructions I presume and you can do your own paint scheme and put it together. Even though this forum is helpful you can't beat learn by doing.
Thanks. I'll check them out. I guess that's how you have to get started, just buy a package and don't expect the first build to turn out like a custom shop Gibson. I really want to learn about the different types of wood and other things that go into the guitar that are vital to it's sound. Learning about what everything does to the sound will help me end up with the guitar I want.

But once you've gotten decent at building them and you decide you want to make a really good guitar, can you make something that's on par with, say, a $3,000 guitar? (Provided you buy good enough electronics and stuff to go with it)
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
^ you can make something thats on par with any price guitar if your naturally good at building them and build a bunch of them
Quote by Third3ye
Thanks. I'll check them out. I guess that's how you have to get started, just buy a package and don't expect the first build to turn out like a custom shop Gibson. I really want to learn about the different types of wood and other things that go into the guitar that are vital to it's sound. Learning about what everything does to the sound will help me end up with the guitar I want.

But once you've gotten decent at building them and you decide you want to make a really good guitar, can you make something that's on par with, say, a $3,000 guitar? (Provided you buy good enough electronics and stuff to go with it)

Tutorials:
http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm

A little about wood tones:
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Theres plenty of info out there.

If you use the correct tools and have lots a patience you can make a high quality guitar.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
You clearly have no idea how to go about this...

hey this is america... the land of freakin opertunity, where any man can attempt to do something beyond his capability's try his best at it, and keep working at it no matter how much opposition and if it still fails, scapegoat some liberals and keep at it. and if you wanna get good at something you gotta start at it. and if you dont like it thats your opinion

and yes I am a redneck thanks for the compliment
But let us know how it goes. Where do you get the parts from and other stuff. I think you should sub out the Chevy symbol for some kind of Confederate flag design. Good luck!

right now im just ruffing out my body concept I should have pics up later, mainly the wood im using was 2x6's I found in the garage that I doweled and glued the **** out of. the parts I will prolly get from guitar center since its not too far from me. the base coat im thinking either some type of blue or black because Im gonna get a buddy of mine to paint some small murals of dead guitarist's and singers I like
So heres my body I got built for now, still need to plane, route, and get the final shaping on it done, im just gonna wait til I get the neck built, so im gonna study up on that all next week, get my wood and should have things ready for the accessory's within about 2 weeks since this is my weekend project.

Here is my 3 peices of wood with the dowels laid out before drilling

Bottom board with marks for dowel holes

Jig set and starting to drill

Glueing, what a fricken mess that was

Three pieces glued together and clamped, then I set it outside in the sun to speed up the process

after the drying, I marked out my rough sketch of the body, fine tuned it a little bit

Sorry bastards wouldnt let me jam all that **** into one post

Bought a brand new jigsaw today so lets see how the bastards gonna cut

the saw didnt like cutting through the 2x6's too well but it got the job done, if I tweaked the top and bottom horns a little, it would almost resemble johnny ramones mosrite guitar

made some homemade wood bondo to fill in the crevices inbetween the boards a little bit

After that dried, I starting working on sanding off the excess bondo, 10 minutes later the sandpaper just wasnt cutting it, so I pulled out another beloved power tool and it knocked alot of it off, and the sander was able to pretty much clean the rest of it off and left some sweet burn marks in the process.

so thats what ive all gotten done today, so im gonna put that off to the side for now until I get a few other bugs worked outa this, and I repeat again, the body still isnt finished yet. Might not look like a great peice of eye candy but I think its kinda cool.

and for anyone that might give me some USEFUL advice on doing my neck, this is my hand size incase if it helps

for my tremolo, im thinking of going with something like this

Wilkenson/Gotoh

are these any good, I pondered a floyd rose but im too much of a cheapass to buy one

For the pickups im thinking of these

EMG

for the pots, im thinking about a 500k volume for the bridge, and a 250k for the neck, the values ill use for the tone im not sure

the pup selecter will just be a regular three way lever action