Alright, so I'm a pretty advanced player but don't know jack **** about electronics or guitar customization, so I bought a Squier Standard Strat to screw with. The first mod I'm doing is putting a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge. I don't need to rout the body, it's got the space needed, and I think I can figure the wiring out easily enough. The one thing that trips me up is the pickguard. Everything I read about putting a humbucker in a strat stresses the need to buy a new pickguard. I don't understand. I mean, obviously it's not cut to fit a humbucker, but why can't I just (carefully) cut around the bridge spot in the pickguard to make it big enough for a humbucker? I'm sure there's some reason I'm not seeing, I just want to make sure if I absolutely need to buy a new one or if I can just do whatever's needed myself.

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for any help.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Good to hear. All I'd need to do is cut out the space for the humbucker and drill a couple holes so the screws are in the right place, right?
El Gearo:

Fender Blues Junior
yes, but if you are not careful it can mess it up. although the worst that you could do is cut to much off the pickguard. a bunch of places sell them cheap if you mess up or want another color.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Yeah, just make sure you're careful. Worst comes to worst, hit up StewMac (google it if you don't know) and buy a H/S/S pickguard for like, 15 bucks.
Alright, cool, I'm glad they're cheap or I'd be a lot more worried about messing something up. I plan on doing it carefully, my dad has every tool imaginable and my brother's an engineer, so I should be good with most of it :P
El Gearo:

Fender Blues Junior