Alrite I need some input on new strings and pickups for a B.C. Rich Metal Master Warlock. Im looking for a better sound(a more Mettalica sound, if you will). And Im on an extordinarily tight budget, I wouldn't be able to spend more than $250 Any suggestions? Thanx
Last edited by Darth Suidar at Jun 7, 2008,
For pickups, I'd just say actives, you can get a set of EMG's for like $200, and for strings, regular should do.

Edit: Tbh, I can get a Metallica sound from most guitars/amps, atm I'm using an 11 year old Jackson Kelly with Jackson stock pickups and getting perfect pre 90's Metallica sound.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Jun 7, 2008,
It depends on your amp. Tbh its not really worth it if your amp isn't a valve amp, EMG's tend to sound not great and its not worth spending about as much as you did on your guitar on pickups. I suggest saving up some more and getting a valve amp. You'll have to save up but its a better investment in the long run.
do you think passive pickups would do any good at all? This is my first guitar and I have absolutely 0 idea about any thing.
Quote by minibrowny
It depends on your amp. Tbh its not really worth it if your amp isn't a valve amp, EMG's tend to sound not great and its not worth spending about as much as you did on your guitar on pickups. I suggest saving up some more and getting a valve amp. You'll have to save up but its a better investment in the long run.

^He knows his metal, listen.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
strings=elixirs
they are a bit more than most(10-13 bucks) but they are rlly worth it.
pickups- i would listen to minibrowny, he knos wut he's talkin about.
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
Quote by Darth Suidar
would there be a noticeable difference if I change my pickup?

No, its not really worth it on your guitar. On a high end guitar or through a better guitar through a valve amp then maybe. But it would be a good deal of money spent on something that you wouldn't notice huge amounts. Give it some time and save up for a new amp, you won't be dissapointed.
Quote by Darth Suidar
do you think passive pickups would do any good at all? This is my first guitar and I have absolutely 0 idea about any thing.

Passive humbuckers will get a good sound, but as minibrowny said, it's the amp that really makes a difference. What do you currently have?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Well it depends on your budget, but for a good metal sound I suggest a Bugera, I don't have much experience with them so I can't name any particular model, but I hear good reviews. One amp I do know to be good is a Peavey Valveking http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc and thats all valve so it should do you well, though to really boost it you might have to boost the amp with a distortion pedal maybe. If you don't want to spend so much, Vox Valvetronix are only hybrid amps (one preamp valve) and they're designed for metal. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-XL-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483004-i1320283.gc
Imo Marshalls are good for Metallica stuff, but they're fairly expensive, so you should go with one of brownys suggestions, they look like they might be fair good/they're cheap.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Darth Suidar
Those amps are way too expensive for me. I'm realy poor plz don't make fun of me

Oh ok, well whats your budget?

EDIT: Try this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031 for $175. Theres a good demo of it on youtube, and it can do metal surprisingly well, its a good value amp.
Last edited by minibrowny at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by Jesstaa
Tbh I used a Laney LX12 Practise amp for a while, it's really cheap and sounds quite good (Just a fair bit of hum -_-)
http://www.activemusician.com/item--HS.LX12

Aye, tis cheap, but I think its worth spending more and getting more out of what you buy. chances are that isn't much better than what youre playing now.
Quote by Darth Suidar
Just wondering would a ibanez grx20 be better than my current one?

any one going to answer this question? And is a ibanez rg120 any good