yeah ive been playing guitar for like almost 3 years and when i got into high school i finally joined a band and became the lead. So for like the whole school year we kinda worked on songs and tried covering things. I aways could play things they asked me to play(except really hard songs like beat it...), but i never could add to an original song because...i have no musical theory... so yea do you think i should stay with my band even though i cant really write songs
o also i heard that they played at a festival with out me... so now im kinda bummed about that...
Beat it? Like, the FOB/John Mayer cover of Michael Jackson, or the EVH solo in the original song?

Maybe you should ask them for some help with theory in relation to composition. They can probably teach you enough to write some parts. And ask them about the festival show and see what they tell you about that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I know no musical theory whatsoever, and my band plays intense technical progressive music.
Stick with it and keep practicing, 9 months ago I couldn't even play in time with 4/4 but through the band my playing has improved immensely
ohai little sig.
did u ask if they actually played or are u just assuming?
and dont quit, man!! just practice more, either get off the computer, or look up some harder material while ur on here
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
No, learn theory, practice more, and get better. Thats the whole point of a band really, to grow together musically, you just need more practice is all.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You mean "Beat It" by MJ?

I'm sorry.

Get better. Alternatively, form a band behind your bands back and quit, that way you can go straight into the new one. Sort of like looking for a new job whilst in your old one. lol.
thats totally bull that they played a show without you dude, i would be pissed. if trust is the real issue then talk to them about it, try to work things out. if its the musical theory stuff, don't sweat i man! a) if you can't get into the swing of it, just play ntes until you fall into a pattern that sounds right and play around with it. b) try looking for some online lessons or sign yourself up for some lessons on theory at a store that provides lessons. all you really need is your basic keys and a couple scales and you can improv the rest. i would advise against quitting unless its the only real option. good luck man.
I'm not here to inspire you. I'm here to make your own life seem slightly less sad by comparison.
u don't NEED theory to make music. i mean it can help you, but a lot of the time with my band we just jam and come up with stuff. its all about feeling the music and using the skills u have to make something
thanks and yeah the evh solo on beat it
the main problem is that when i try to write a song i dont know where to start and when i draw up random chords that kinda sound nice, it begins to sound like crap when i try to add things
so where do i start when learning theory and other things like writing riffs?
keep doing what your doing. stay with them. and in the mean time just study up on music theory. its not as hard as it sounds untill you get into advance ****.
You don't need to know theory to write songs. However, it can help.

When it comes to songwriting, leaving your band will not solve this problem. I advise either working more on writing by yourself, or see if you can write with someone or let another person be the writer.

Quote by Kkoala211
the main problem is that when i try to write a song i dont know where to start and when i draw up random chords that kinda sound nice, it begins to sound like crap when i try to add things
so where do i start when learning theory and other things like writing riffs?

I like to start with a riff I like. Try putting it together with other riffs or chords and see if you can put a melody over top of it. Just keep playing around with it until you find something you like.
Quote by Kkoala211
also i heard that they played at a festival with out me... so now im kinda bummed about that...

Now this could be problematic. Approach them and find out the truth. If they did just scum you, I say leave. I don't think you want to be with people who gigged behind your back.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Demonikk
I know no musical theory whatsoever, and my band plays intense technical progressive music.
Stick with it and keep practicing, 9 months ago I couldn't even play in time with 4/4 but through the band my playing has improved immensely

theres your answer.
so yeah i think they started practicing without me so i guess im out, but im totally confused why they wont just tell me that im out
so yea is there any good sites where i can learn theory ?
Right up to the point where you said that they played a gig without you, it sounds like you're just being insecure about your abilities and for that I'd advise you to stick with it and try your best to improve, as long as the other members are happy with you.
However, with them doing the gig without you, it sounds as if they may not be happy with you but just don't have the bottle to say anything.
Tell them that you heard about the gig (and that they are practicing without you) and tell them that it hurt your feelings, then ask them if they want you to leave or are they willing to persevere with you. Tell them that you just want to know where you stand.
If they ask you to leave, do it with minimum fuss and your dignity intact, tell them it's been fun and shake all their hands, then go and find some more musicians that are more similar to yourself.
Music theory is not essential, my own band are all natural players who couldn't read a note of written music if it came with diagrammed instructions, but it's never held any of us back.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 9, 2008,
If you work with your band, maybe ask members of your band to help you with musical thery then you not only learn how to be a better musician then you will also learn exactly how to intergrate yourself better into a band sitauation, which will only make the experiece more fullfilling and fun