I've been really getting in to acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I think it is time to upgrade from my cheap Breedlove (which is still great for the price and I installed electronics in it.) I want a guitar with a cutaway and electronics, I love a warmer richer sound, not too bright. Some Taylor's I've heard are way to bright but some have sounded great. It pretty much comes to down a Taylor or a Martin (unless someone convinces me otherwise), but I need some suggestions on models and such. Thanks.

PS: My real name is Taylor so thats an added bonus with a Taylor. lol
Last edited by tshare1 at Jun 7, 2008,
why not buy a cheap elec-acou then just spend the rest on something nice. buy a nice acoustic eq and you can make any guitar sound great
Quote by whosamerica
why not buy a cheap elec-acou then just spend the rest on something nice. buy a nice acoustic eq and you can make any guitar sound great

I play out of a Roland AC-60 which sounds amazing in my opinion.

Yes, I do have the money for the guitar. And it's worth it. I play guitar for hours everyday and I'm 19. I know im going to spend the money at some point why not now. I just got a new job making good money and luckily my parents pay most of my bills in terms of school and housing.
Quote by tshare1
I play out of a Roland AC-60 which sounds amazing in my opinion.

Yes, I do have the money for the guitar. And it's worth it. I play guitar for hours everyday and I'm 19. I know im going to spend the money at some point why not now. I just got a new job making good money and luckily my parents pay most of my bills in terms of school and housing.

Yeah, go for it, why not? It's personally a little more than what I would spend on one guitar, but you do get what you paid for, provided you are prudent in shopping for and choosing the right one.

The only thing is, if you're going to spend $2K on a guitar, you should consider just buying a straight acoustic, then buy the electronics separately (preferably non-intrusive ones like L.R. Baggs Dual Source). That will allow you to get a fantastic guitar for about $1700 and still be within your budget after the electronics, not to mention avoiding that huge hole on the side for the EQ. Doing that, I think, will get you more quality than one with a pre-built-in electronics.

Lastly, you might want to look at Larrivee's 05 and 09 series to compare to the Martins and Taylors.
Why thats crazy you mentioned the clapton guitar. I actually played it in Guitar Center today and it sounds amazing but its too much.
I love the warmth of the Martins. Are there any Taylor's that have that rich tone?
I second the opinion that you should check out some Larrivee's.

In my opinion, Taylor's, while being quality guitars, are severely overpriced. Martin's also, although to a lesser extent.

For that much money though, I would be very tempted to try to find a good D-28. It might be just a bit above your prce range, but you could look used.
If I had the money for a fingerstyle guitar I'd get a Guild.Guild Impeccable build quality equivalent to Martin/Taylors for a little bit less, otherwise if you're really set on a Martin/Taylor I like the 00028 better of the two brands.
Just remember, the advertised price is usually worth a laugh. You might want to be looking more in the $2,500 - $3,000 advertised price on Martins and Taylors.

Do you really know what you're looking for? I play some fingerstyle and I like them to have a 1 & 3/4 inch nut, large radius neck, and a 24.75 scale. I've played the Clapton and its great but I like my $400 cutaway Seagull more.

I've never unloaded that kind of dough on a guitar but I'd be doing a crapload of test driving before the purchase. Go find yourself a nice shop with a wide assortment of acoustics and have a ball. Find out what woods you like, electronics, dimensions, etc. Best of luck!
Quote by drummerofgod89
Martin D-28. That's all I need to say.

+∞

I can't believe it took until post 12 for someone to suggest it, especially given the price range!