My younger brother is turning 12 soon and he's been using a REALLY bad amp for the past three years. He's gotten very good, so my sister and I are chipping in to buy him a new amp. My father and mother are buying him a new guitar. So, I was wondering what the best amp for a variety of metal would be. Price range is $300 max, I can stretch it a little if I have to.
Quote by |Marco|
My younger brother is turning 12 soon and he's been using a REALLY bad amp for the past three years. He's gotten very good, so my sister and I are chipping in to buy him a new amp. My father and mother are buying him a new guitar. So, I was wondering what the best amp for a variety of metal would be. Price range is $300 max, I can stretch it a little if I have to.

Is it only for home practice?
Mostly, but he's in a band now. I don't think he jams with a drummer yet. You can assume that he will have to get over a drummer very soon though. I was thinking of a Cube 30/60 or a Vox Ad 30/50.
If its just for practice, check out the Roland Cube 30. Its pretty nice. What style of music does he play? The Cube is pretty versatile. If he's into metal, maybe check out a Randall, I know they have a pretty good SS combo for like $250.
The thread title is "metal amp." So yes, he plays metal. It's for practice and jamming.
you really cant go wrong with a cube 30 great versatile and fun amps but if you get a loud metal drummer it might not be loud enough and i dont even know why but i hate the cube 60s
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
for a twelve year old I'd get a roland cube 30x or a vox ad30vt xl series for metal. Both are really good amps, even by pro standards (for practice/home use), and they're dirt cheap.
Cube 30/60, better for metal.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Im picking up a B-52 AT-112 on Monday, and playing it today i heard it was a pretty good Metal Amp. Go used if you only have 300 For it. Otherwise, a Cube would be an alright choice but not the best once he gets a drummer.

Used = sometimes Amazing Deals. check ebay for things, he will be a lot happier with that
I don't trust ebay. I've been browsing craigs list for a few weeks now trying to find a great deal on an amp. I may have to just grab him a Cube 30, like I previously though.
For about $230 you could get the Roland Cube 30, the same amp I have. I would pretty much recommend this amp to any practicing guitarist, but especially one that wants to play metal.
If you can find a good deal on a roland cube 60, you should get that though.
I've seen them anywhere from $300 to almost $400, so you might be able to get a good deal if a store has a sale or if you get a used one. There area few more features that the cube 60 has, like a speaker line out and a presence control, but the reason I would say to go for the cube 60 is because the speaker is 2 inches bigger, and it makes a huge difference in sound quality. Also, you will be able to hear yourself much better in a band, if your drummer is loud.

I think most people in this thread are saying roland cube, but he should go to the store and play through both amplifiers and see if you think the roland cube 60 is worth the extra money.
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Jumboshrmp at Jun 8, 2008,
Roland Cubes are great, you can't go wrong with it!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Thats a nice thing to do .... but as people have said, the roland cubes are the only way to go really for that price.