Ok well im looking to buy a new guitar and im trying to only spend $600-$700. Now i was originally looking at the ESP eclispe deluxe or something like that. Which was a little more pricey so i found this jackson RR3. Now it looks amazing. And it has a floyd rose which is a feature i have wanted. But i have a concern. Im not experienced with a floyd and i heard its very hard to do adjustments. I play in drop c most of the time and im not sure how thats gunna work out. i want to know like am i gunna have major probs using a floyd in drop c? cuz like i want a floyd really bad but i dont wanna buy a guitar that has one if im gunna have to many probs with drop c. other thing is i like to use either 9-10 size strings. and ive heard if your gunna tune low especially on a floyd that you need to use heavy gauge string. but i dont want to do that. so do i have an option? btw if anyone has any feedback on this jackson guitar plz let me know cuz i dont want to buy a piece of crap. cuz i cant test it out myslef im a lefty so i have to special order it hoping its a good guitar. by the way i couldnt get a pic up so you can find this guitar at guitarcenter.com just type jackson rr3 in the search box
Last edited by Tonoloc at Jun 7, 2008,
i have the rr3 and i love it. if u can ask if they can set it up in drop c for u. if not go to ur local music store and they will do it for u, thats wat i do i have it in all black and it looks nice
Link don't work for me.
anyway, I have a .52 as my lowest string and .10 as my highest, but then again I play in like drop D, that's pretty much as low as I go, but I'm sure you could get used to the higher gauges.
My point, however, is that if probably is a good idea to use thicker strings because they'd not break as much, stay in tune better (which you want with a floyd), and play better as far as fretwise.
I'm not positive that it takes higher gauge strings, but I am positive that it would probably make your life much easier.

P.S., Floyds aren't as big of a bitch as people make them out to be, you just have to keep in mind that adjustments you make will affect the big picture, as far as truss rods, intonation, action, tuning, and so on.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
have you looked at the Ibanez S series? they only have 22 frets but the ZR bridge is amazing.
I got my RR3 the other day. Pickups are really nice. I've been using the Floyd HARD and it was yet to go out of tune. Very comfy when sitting down. I'd recommend moving the one strap button to behind the neck though... it works wonders when playing standing up.

I have Power Slinkys on mine and I'm tuned to E. ( Getting a D Tuna eventually )
Quote by TomGates
i have the rr3 and i love it. if u can ask if they can set it up in drop c for u. if not go to ur local music store and they will do it for u, thats wat i do i have it in all black and it looks nice

True but that wat i want to avoid cuz one i tend to change my tunings around. i mean like i said i generally stay in drop c but i do play in e. i dont want to be spending all this money having techs do it for me lol so. and i also dont want to be dropping my guitar off every week to change the tuning lol.
Quote by strat212
Link don't work for me.
anyway, I have a .52 as my lowest string and .10 as my highest, but then again I play in like drop D, that's pretty much as low as I go, but I'm sure you could get used to the higher gauges.
My point, however, is that if probably is a good idea to use thicker strings because they'd not break as much, stay in tune better (which you want with a floyd), and play better as far as fretwise.
I'm not positive that it takes higher gauge strings, but I am positive that it would probably make your life much easier.

P.S., Floyds aren't as big of a bitch as people make them out to be, you just have to keep in mind that adjustments you make will affect the big picture, as far as truss rods, intonation, action, tuning, and so on.

What exactly do you mean when you say it affects the truss rod adn intonation and action? like are you saying if i tune lower itll screw up the tross rod and ill have to get it re adjusted?
Quote by TomGates

How much does it cost?
Quote by Chad11491

$6.50!! thas its??? no way you must mean in another form of money
Quote by Tonoloc
$6.50!! thas its??? no way you must mean in another form of money

$650.00

You can get em on ebay for cheaper.
Quote by Tonoloc
What exactly do you mean when you say it affects the truss rod adn intonation and action? like are you saying if i tune lower itll screw up the tross rod and ill have to get it re adjusted?

NO, I'm just saying that with a floyd you have to consider everything you do to the guitar, be it action adjustment, truss rod adjustment, new strings, new springs, action, or intonation, because all of those are inter-related.

Simple explanation: if you tune lower, all your other strings will go out of tune, then you have to stick a block in the trem and re-do things. (POSSIBLY like adjusting the truss rod, action, and intonation)
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
10's should be a high enough guage for drop c.

a floyd rose can definitely be used with drop c tuning.

the only problem is if you want to go from drop c to e to Eb or whatever, you basically have to keep a floyd in the same tuning unless you want to adjust the springs every time you change tuning.
Quote by Diamond Dave
10's should be a high enough guage for drop c.

a floyd rose can definitely be used with drop c tuning.

the only problem is if you want to go from drop c to e to Eb or whatever, you basically have to keep a floyd in the same tuning unless you want to adjust the springs every time you change tuning.

Solution: use the guitar you have now for E/Eb and use the new one for C. unless your current guitar is a POS...