Why is it that many races (blacks and Hispanics are most noticeable in my area, but I'm sure there are others) complain about negative stereotypes, and yet, most seem to enforce them?

Example: A friend of mine is black, but you wouldn't think of him of a "black guy." He takes Japanese, plays video games, listens to Green Day, loves school, and never swears. He says he doesn't have any black friends because he doesn't "act black."

When he asks how to act black, he was given this exact answer: "Screw school, get a gun, join a gang, swear more, wear bigger clothes, stop taking that dumbass language, and talk black!"

But, when we stereotype blacks (in this case) following these "acting black" guidelines, we're racist?

Discuss.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I don't quite understand your question.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
I think they perpetuate the stereotypes of gangstaness so that somebody will believe their self-created stereotype that they all have huge wangs.

But hey, what do I know?
It's a culture thing, not a race thing. "Black" culture is considered "black" because it is predominantly black, obviously.

On a side not, I personally think it's ok to stereotype a given culture because what is a culture, other than a collection of stereotypes? If you are a part of the (as it has become known) "black culture", you're a gangsta, a criminal, etc, etc. Doesn't matter what race you are, if you're a part of that culture, that's you as far as I'm concerned.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Last edited by SilenceIsGolden at Jun 7, 2008,
I see what you mean.

Like how people think mutants want to kill people, but then they try to help, but end up killing lots of people!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
He should also rob a liquor store. That should raise his standing with his darker skinned brethren, but I'm just a "cracker ass white boy", so I don't know.
It's just the way it is. The majority can not be offended, only the minority. It reminds me of the NAACP saying that schools baning baggy pants were beng racist but if you say that only black wear them you are racist.
this just came to mind y cant we say ****** but yet their allowed to say whatever they want like cracker,honkey,and whitey?

wut the hell?? N I G G E R is stared out but not cracker I CALL SHINANIGANS ...damn that word
Stereotypes all have an element of truth to them.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by GnR_ROK

True dat.

Contrary to popular belief, there is not a group of white people who sit in a room all day creating stereotypes.

Edit: but if there was, I'd so want to be in that group.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
True dat.

Contrary to popular belief, there is not a group of white people who sit in a room all day creating stereotypes.

Edit: but if there was, I'd so want to be in that group.

There's an in depth application process that you must participate in. We here at the "Institute" would be happy to go over your credentials if you would like.
Quote by ironpeacock
There's an in depth application process that you must participate in. We here at the "Institute" would be happy to go over your credentials if you would like.

Ah yes, sign me up too.

Hispanics smell like tuna mixed with Axe deodorant. And like to eat rabbits.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by LgLagro
You, you bring us both corm, and two hot russian gymnasts pretty much making out, you are a legend.

Limping Head Journalist and Proprietor of PitTown Cricket Club.

Keeping quiet about scandals since 2008.
Here's an idea. Why don't we make a thread where everyone can go and complain about how they can't call a black person a n*gger and how they get in trouble when they try to stereotype minorities and it's not fair because stereotyping helps society or something. Seriously, you're gonna get out of middleschool or high school and get to college (maybe) and realize that there's really not cliques like there are in high school and no one goes around stereotyping and judging other people as much as adolescents do. When you do a little growing up you'll realize that you spend way too much complaining about not being able to be alienate others because of their culture or skin color.
Peepee on yo tittays
Quote by misty_b
Here's an idea. Why don't we make a thread where everyone can go and complain about how they can't call a black person a n*gger and how they get in trouble when they try to stereotype minorities and it's not fair because stereotyping helps society or something. Seriously, you're gonna get out of middleschool or high school and get to college (maybe) and realize that there's really not cliques like there are in high school and no one goes around stereotyping and judging other people as much as adolescents do. When you do a little growing up you'll realize that you spend way too much complaining about not being able to be alienate others because of their culture or skin color.

I agree, wait, what?
Quote by guitarplayer769
It's just the way it is. The majority can not be offended, only the minority. It reminds me of the NAACP saying that schools baning baggy pants were beng racist but if you say that only black wear them you are racist.

why are white people the majority?

isnt there like a billion black people in Africa alone?

and like 3 billion Asians?
I see what the threadstarter means. I'm mexican and am saddened by all the fellow hispanics I see almost blindly following stereotypes trying to be more mexican/latin. I think because minorities are seen as different we have a harder time trying to find identities for ourselves.

I know sometimes I'm thrown into race related bull all the time.

EDIT: As for the guy two posts above me, it's not that simple or something people outgrow. ****, sometimes it's worse because more "mature" people are typically more stubborn when it comes to change.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by misty_b

i would imagine thats true. but only because only the smart people get into college, not the stereotypes who dont care about school
on Code Monkeys, Black Steve double-majored in Japanese & Women's Studies.
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Simple, they follow the stereotypes because they are fun to follow, and they realize that a buncha dumbass liberals aren't going to realize it and continue on with their "Stereotypes are not real, no racism, etc, etc," while the selected group just gets to do whatever they want, within the stereotype.
Quote by Tedward
why are white people the majority?

isnt there like a billion black people in Africa alone?

and like 3 billion Asians?

True, but I think he meant America. or North America, I don't know.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” -Winston Churchill
I have a question. Here in Gainesville, Florida, most of the black kids are extreme stereotypes, except for a handful, and from those, they are all quite religious. Is there not a non religious normal black guy in the effing US?
Quote by GnR_ROK

Pretty much, yup.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝