I'm just kinda curious of what equipment a person needs to build a REAL WORKING home studio. I was kinda interested and was thinking to build one before the year ends.

Do you need a PC in the studio?
Do you need a PA system?
And do I need seperate instruments (drumsets,guitar) for the studio and gigging?
Do I use combo amps or stacks?
riffs and recordings section?
But you do need some sort of computer in a studio.
Well this is what I use..

A laptop, an interface, my gigging instruments, and monitors
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
Well this is what I use..

A laptop, an interface, my gigging instruments, and monitors

A decent studio will have drum and vocal mics, as well. Other than that, you've pretty much got the basics.
Yes, you will need a PC, and some form of recording software. You'll also need headphones or monitors for playback.

You'll also need some kind of audio interface, and probably a mixer as well.

Additionally, good quality mic's and leads are required.

You could use the same instruments for the studio and gigging, if you didn't mind setting them up for recording again everytime you moved them. It wouldn't be that much of a problem.

As for amps, you'd be better off with combo's. The (presumably) lower wattage of them will make them easier to crank in a studio environment.

This is pretty basic, what I've said, and it's only based on what I've picked up when I've recorded with my band at school, where they have thousands of dollars worth of equipment (private school's rock).

What you're thinking about doing can be pretty costly, especially if you're still in school and you're starting from scratch. Someone with a better understanding of this could give you a better impression of how much it'd actually cost, but it's not going to be cheap.
Go to tweakheadz.com it has all the info you'll need

from another thread:
Quote by voodoochilli499
What is your budget?

Because if you are serious about getting everything you need for even small home studio, you're going to need more than you think.

Here is a list of basic equipment and a low cost yet still acceptable example.

In addition to a computer compatible with your DAW;

an interface: Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro is nice and still relatively cheap
a recording program: ProTools LE 7.4 is included with all Digidesign products (ProTools M-powered is included with all M-Audio interfaces)
studio monitors: Fostex PM0.4 is a nice and inexpensive set
mic's: AT3035 is a good mic, also look into the Shure drum mic package, it has 3 SM57's and a Beta 52. The 57s are good for micing instruments as well as vocals and drums and the beta 52 is great for kick and bass.
Headphones: For overear look at Audio Technica ATH-M50, for inear try Shure SCL2
MIDI controller: Check out the M-Audio Axiom 25

Those are the essentials for a home studio, i mean the minimum requirement for a computer based recording system.

Most (i've yet to come across one that doesn't) programs like ProTools, Logic, or Cubase, have digital mixers, however, most interfaces don't have the required inputs for a live recording (recording all the parts at the same time), which would require you get a mixer. Keep in mind, if you run everyone through a mixer and then into stereo channels on an interface, you'd have to do all the mixing before you recorded the final take.

If this is what you are going to do, you'll need a mixer with enough inputs for all the instruments.

For now lets assume, just to be safe, that you have 2 guitarists, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer. And let's say two members of the band sing.

Thats:
3 instrument mic's (2 guitars and bass)
2 vocal mic's (singers)
2 direct ins (key's have a stereo output)
7 drum mic's (kick, snare, hi-hat, two toms, and two overheads)

which means you need a 12 XLR input mixer with at least 2 more 1/4" inputs

lets say, a Mackie CFX16 mkII

We won't worry about you having the mic's to do that, you can borrow those from someone.

**************THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING***********************

Do not buy low quality equipment! Cheap Equipment = Cheap Sounding Results
Cheap results turn you off of recording and make it no fun!
Save up for good equipment and you will be happy! If not you can always sell the stuff and get your money back.

When I was first starting out, this site helped alot - TweakHeadz.com

Please Check it out!

- Andrew

I hope you have a lot of money. I've spent 3k on my studio in the last 6 months ad that doesn't include buying any amps or instruments.
Last edited by voodoochilli499 at Jun 8, 2008,
start with just the bare basics. computer, recording interface and monitors. learn how to use the program (whatever daw program you end up using) and start by recording some guitar. get that down first before you start worrying about recording drums and getting all sorts of microphones. you could go out and get everything all at once but it does you no good if you dont know how to use any of it. it just ends up being clutter that prevents you from accomplishing anything in the beginning.

also read a lot of books on recording. i'd recommend some but my bookcase is downstairs and i'm too lazy to get down there. a google search will bring up tons of different ones.

also get ready to be broke and drooling over micpres and other bits of gear that you want.
The following forum may also be helpful: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

It is filled with all sorts of people, from amateurs up to real professionals (ie, million-dollar studios). It is a great place to get info, get help, ask questions, etc. They have boards to ask questions about high-quality studio gear, as well as boards to ask questions about starting a basic/cheap recording setup.
Guys, have a question about headphones. I bought some nice headphones, ATH-M50, for around 150 euros...came home, unbox'ed it, plugged it into guitar and... it is not loud
What's the deal? Expensive headphones and it is not loud I do not need em then Are there anyways to make it loud enough? Even if i used my pedal ML-2, the sound is weak, but when i plug it to the speakers of my PC, it is ok, but I don't need PC headphones Any help pls?
Lazer LG-180A
Dean Razorback V 255 @ 18v MOD
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
RZBK V 255 build <5%, ideas>
OFFICIAL "DEAN PLAYERS UNITE" PLAYER #2
BUGERA USERS MILITIA...One of the first owners...
Quote by EARNEST
Guys, have a question about headphones. I bought some nice headphones, ATH-M50, for around 150 euros...came home, unbox'ed it, plugged it into guitar and... it is not loud
What's the deal? Expensive headphones and it is not loud I do not need em then Are there anyways to make it loud enough? Even if i used my pedal ML-2, the sound is weak, but when i plug it to the speakers of my PC, it is ok, but I don't need PC headphones Any help pls?

are you plugging the headphones straight into the guitar?? that wont work at all.
you need to plug the guitar into a pre-amp or something and then take a headphone feed from that.
Quote by TheDriller
are you plugging the headphones straight into the guitar?? that wont work at all.
you need to plug the guitar into a pre-amp or something and then take a headphone feed from that.

Oh, I see, thanks a lot man. +1 to u
gonna look for some "mini" pre-amp online
Lazer LG-180A
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
Okay....I'm studying this at school, and I've found that generally, live recordings should only take place in a professional studio. In an amateur studio, everything should be recorded on a track-by-track basis. Makes things easier on the "engineer", keeps things cheaper, and provides better results.
But seriously, try another forum.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Hm....I don't know which one is the best for me... AC30, Classic Rock or Metal versions...i would need nice cleans + some more or less decent dirty sound
Lazer LG-180A
Bugera 6262-212
ATH-M50
Vox amPlug Metal
Boss TU-80
Boss ML-2
AC30 is dandy. Just don't expect huge volume from it. As a practice aid, it's great.

To the OP: I'm just getting started in recording at home too. It isn't cheap. Buy the best you can afford, but definitely do NOT try to save money on monitors. That, and learn a bit about acoustic treatment of your room of choice. Good luck. You'll have lots of fun and not a small amount of occasional frustration.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by martinez952000
I'm just kinda curious of what equipment a person needs to build a REAL WORKING home studio. I was kinda interested and was thinking to build one before the year ends.

Do you need a PC in the studio?
Do you need a PA system?
And do I need seperate instruments (drumsets,guitar) for the studio and gigging?
Do I use combo amps or stacks?

PC -> if you're going to be all oldschool you can go tape and hate yourself
or just get a PC since it makes things a billion times easier

PA -> you need monitors, basically a set of speakers that are very good at accurately reproducing audio
and maybe a little headphone amp or something (might come into play if you need to record 5 people at once and they need to hear themselves)
and you more or less need headphones so you can hear the track while you recording and not have it bleed into the microphones (unless you're only going to be doing electronic stuff)

instruments -> not at all. Though having stuff permanently there would make things easier than reassembling everything whenever you go to a band practice/gig

amps -> whatever you fancy
Just run a long cable from the amp to the cabinet and set it up in a spare room/hallway/bathroom/wardrobe/etc... and crank it up to your hearts content
Last edited by seljer at Oct 3, 2008,