Page 1 of 3
I'm looking at colleges, and I want to study music wherever I go. I want a good school with good facilities, location, reputation, professors, depth of fields, variety, etc. but is also a party school.

I'm thinking UCLA or Berklee

http://www.berklee.edu/about/
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Jun 7, 2008,
UG!!!!!

(University of Georgia)
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Indiana University has a great music program.

It's in the midwest, about an hour away from Indianapolis to the south.

World Class Orchestra and Performance, as well as Theory and Composition.

Not expensive either.
Berklee School of Music in Boston FTW!!!
I'm goin there
I think there's a campus in Cali too
Well, I've got a couple of years to decide, and improve my abilities.

I play most all styles of guitar, both acoustic and electric, but my main focus is blues-rock and hard rock.

For a high school sophomore, I'd say I have some good chops, and, as I said, I have 3 more years to improve first.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by binderhoffin
of course the musicians institute!

ya no kidding. i mean i must be a genius to think of that.
wait i realized that julliard might be a little out of your league and it doesnt have that many choices with the guitar i think they only have classical guitar but anyways its the most prestigious musical college in the nation so if you do decide to go there and get accepted than thats a huge accomplishment
for classical, i'd say Julliard.
for everything else, i'd say Berklee. A buddy of mine went there on a full ride for guitar, he's my inspiration.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Is there a Berklee campus in LA? If there were, that would be my choice.

Quote by John Frusciante
In Montreal, there's McGill, the number one school in Canada, which is comparable to Berklee in prestigiousness and is unbeatable in the amount of musicians and influences you'll find there. Basically if you're a Canadian musician atm, you do some years at McGill.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

I think it's in LA, but I'm not suree, look it up
Quote by bobbobob13
I think it's in LA, but I'm not suree, look it up

That's awesome. I want to go to Berklee, but I really want to go somewhere in SoCal (and I was under the impression that I could only attend in Boston). This just made me that much happier.
I don't think it's really worth paying college tuition to learn rock/metal/blues/etc. But if you really do want to, then I don't know any other college aside from Berklee that offers those styles to study.

I'm attending Berklee in the fall, but I'm studying jazz and composition, which is what Berklee is traditionally good for. I don't think it would be worth the $40k+ per year just to learn rock, which is basic enough that you can really become an expert at by yourself.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
for classical, i'd say Julliard.
for everything else, i'd say Berklee. A buddy of mine went there on a full ride for guitar, he's my inspiration.

There are plenty of great classical programs besides Julliard. There are also plenty of great jazz programs at various schools. Julliard and Berklee are just two household names. Don't just base off your college decision on the shallow impression of familiarity with these schools.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, John Mayer went to Berklee. So did Brad Whitford and Joey Kramer of Aerosmith. and John Myung of Dream Theater. Steve Vai and Joe Satraini also are Berklee alumni.

Quote by John Frusciante
To clear up some confusion to all of you, the Berklee in California isn't a music school.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Berklee in Boston - Music school
Berkeley in California - University of California in Berkeley
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
aww, I wanted to study music in LA

oh well, Boston it is.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by I_Pwn
To clear up some confusion to all of you, the Berklee in California isn't a music school.

Wow, yea, I was thinking, "what the hell are they talking about?"

The LA "Berklee" is not Berklee. It's University of California, Berkley campus.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by I_Pwn

Berklee has a campus in LA though now. A postcard from them about it, even though I do not live near there....

Yeah, if you want to go there go for it. I plan on auditioning at the Boston location next January! It's so close! I was also talking with a Berklee alum at a guitar workshop, he said that most employers look kindly upon someone with a music major of sorts, because musicians generally tend to have good discipline and work ethic. Also getting a college degree of any kind puts you ahead of most people in the job market. So do not let your parents financial concerns for you hold you back! You can also go back to another school after. I plan to go to a culinary institute in Boston if I graduate from Berklee, so if I have a band or something in Boston then I will be able to support myself. Just make sure you have a fall back no matter what.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

No. That's Berkeley, not Berklee.

OH, Nvm.^^
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by Spartan070sarge
aww, I wanted to study music in LA

oh well, Boston it is.

Dude, Boston is awesome. Fuck LA.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Wow, yea, I was thinking, "what the hell are they talking about?"

The LA "Berklee" is not Berklee. It's University of California, Berkley campus.

O I C

Quote by bobbobob13
O I C

I hate these name confusions.

Whenever people ask me where I'm going for college, I always have to specify that it's the school of music in Boston, NOT UC Berkley. Otherwise, they're like "Wow! California is a tough school to get into! Congrats!"

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It depends. If I was still a Rock and Blues musician, I doubt my parents would pay $40,000 a year for me to go to Berklee, considering how so many notable guitarists of those genres were self-taught. Even so, it isn't all about simply playing guitar solos. I think for a school like that, you'll have to be pretty good with sight-reading, and music theory.

The school I want to go to the most (after one year of community college this fall and spring) is the San Francisco Conservatory. It's in a city I love, a state I love, and I'm very fortunate to be a classical guitarist. It's a very selective school for just about any classical instrument, and it doesn't accept that many students every year. However, they're trying to build their guitar program there, and my teacher said that she's seen below mediocre classical guitarists get in with half their tuition payed in scholarships. Plus the education looks great. They don't have that many students to give more focus on each individual, and I've heard great things about the guitarist teachers there. David Tanenbaum is amazing.
i really wanna go to college for music but i heard that you have to have grade 6 piano, is that true?
What would it take to get a scholarship of any kind to Berklee? I've got a 3.75(ish) GPA (mostly A's, a couple of B's)

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by The Madcap
It depends. If I was still a Rock and Blues musician, I doubt my parents would pay $40,000 a year for me to go to Berklee, considering how so many notable guitarists of those genres were self-taught. Even so, it isn't all about simply playing guitar solos. I think for a school like that, you'll have to be pretty good with sight-reading, and music theory.

Berklee has a high drop out rate because

1. Many people who go there find out that, omg, music is actually hard work!
2. Many students disagree with the curriculum, which require all students to study a variety of styles, even the ones they don't like.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Spartan070sarge
What would it take to get a scholarship of any kind to Berklee? I've got a 3.75(ish) GPA (mostly A's, a couple of B's)

It's nothing about grades. Obviously you have to have decent grades but you have to be pretty good in all aspects musically to get a scholarship.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Well, my friend got a pretty good scholarship to Berklee (I can't remember how much) and she was going to go there for singing. She changed her mind because it was too far. But even though she is a really good singer, she took music classes in high school, like AP Music Theory.

I didn't take any music theory because of bad planning, but from what I've heard, it's a b*tch. Especially the dictation tests.
Page 1 of 3